Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of putting the cognito 7" lift on my self and ofcourse some buds, i am assuming i will need a torsion bar removel tool i have abuddy with a lift hoist how long do you think it will take and is it worth it to do yourself

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well from my experience the more people you have the longer it will take.

Also depends on how much alcohol is involved.

You better plan on 2 LLLooonnnggg days to be safe. Nothing is as easy as they say. You almost always run into complications. The Cognito instructions could be better. I had to call a couple of times to clarify a few things.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
If your able to, do your own install. My brother and I installed a Fabtech on his 01HD and it was pretty easy just took time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i just did the cognito lift with duel shock hoops and tracktion bars in about14-16 hrs not to hard just time

·
Registered
165 Posts
did you guys have any particular probloms with the cognito kit?
The only problem I really had was cutting the stock bracket off to lower the front end. After spending 40,000 on a truck I just wanted to make sure I understood where to cut. The pictures I had were not very clear. This was my 2nd IFS installation, one on a 98 and the 05. The good old straight axles are a piece of cake compared to these.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
800 rev thanks i was wondering myself about that cut,just want to make sure
i do it right, also i will need lots of booze to get the right buds to help me with this,hopefully we can get most of the work done before we get boozin

that is one nice truck you like the deaver springs

·
Registered
165 Posts
The rear springs and shock package is excellent. No more rear hop, nice and smooth. Get the Deavers for sure.

I should also mention the Deavers are softer than stock, so if you haul a lot of weight you might have to add more spring leafs or air bags.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think you guys could give me a list of everything i will need i have all (air)tools
atleast i think i do what is the torsion bar removel tool?did you use a die grinder for the cut,will they send me the gm tourques specs? i got 6"deavers for the rear do i need a angle finder? or new u bolts?what should i set the shims at? i plan on doing the 7" do you have to change the brake lines?
any help would be nice this is my first ifs lift kit install

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have 8" replacement springs -with no shims and 1" longer then factory u-bolts. Craftsman large 2 jaw gear puller to remove the keys, Did my cutting with a plasma cutter but a saws-all works well. Large jack(not those 22" lift ones) Brake lines can come later(probable comes with brake line drop brackets for now). Torque specs-as tight as I could get it. Gringer, duct tape for those bleeding knuckles...and what I forgot-a camera with progress pics.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Me and 2 of my friends installed my lift in just over a day. If we would do another, I think that we could do it in a day. Take your time and make sure you torque each bolt yourself so you know it was done and done correctly per their spec. I could not imagine paying someone else to install the lift. I don't believe they would put the time and effort in the install that I would. Torque wrech, torsion bar tool (I used a ball joint press borrowed from AutoZone), a sawzall or other cutting tool is needed to cut out the brace, hacksaw, and other standard tools.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
I did my Rancho with a llittle help form my father-in-law. I am now (2 years later) swapping out the rancho front for a Tuff Country front. I think I can do it by myself in a day--may need a second set of hands here and there.

You need:

1. A good floor jack (I used a 3 ton w/20" of lift the first time)
2. Good jackstands
3. Good (like Sears) 8" gear puller or a torsion bar unloading tool
4. Angle grinder/die grinder/Sawzall to cut of diff mounts
5. Torque wrench that will go to 155 ft lbs
6. Recommend "Mechanix" or Craftsman work gloves
7. 36mm socket (recommend black impact style) for axle nuts
8. Large ball peen hammer
9. 1/2" drive socket set and wrenches in the medium and larger sizes (I know I used 9/16", 18mm, 3/4", maybe 13/16")
10. 18" breaker bar or air impact wrench

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
800rev- did you use a lift or jackstands to install your lift?

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
I think my 8" Crafstman gear puller was $30ish a couple years ago............

·
Registered
557 Posts
Out of curiousity, why are you swapping lifts? More height?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Do your self a favor and get a torsion bar removal tool. It will make things much easier and safer:eek:

I have installed 2 lifts on these trucks. Just take your time. Look at other companies instructions for torque specs. Some instructions are better than others. Rancho, Fabtech, and Superlift all have instructions on line with torque specs. Have someone help you for the big/heavy stuff like dropping the front diff.

For the rear, I used Deaver 6" springs. They came with degree shims. The biggest pain in the *** was getting the factory bolts out on the driver side. I just cut them off and replaced them.

Take your time, plan on 2 full days and have your alignment scheduled for right after!:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I did my Rancho with a llittle help form my father-in-law. I am now (2 years later) swapping out the rancho front for a Tuff Country front. I think I can do it by myself in a day--may need a second set of hands here and there.

You need:

1. A good floor jack (I used a 3 ton w/20" of lift the first time)
2. Good jackstands
3. Good (like Sears) 8" gear puller or a torsion bar unloading tool
4. Angle grinder/die grinder/Sawzall to cut of diff mounts
5. Torque wrench that will go to 155 ft lbs
6. Recommend "Mechanix" or Craftsman work gloves
7. 36mm socket (recommend black impact style) for axle nuts
8. Large ball peen hammer
9. 1/2" drive socket set and wrenches in the medium and larger sizes (I know I used 9/16", 18mm, 3/4", maybe 13/16")
10. 18" breaker bar or air impact wrench

And dont forget the Beer. It will be needed afterwards for the celibratory salute to the new & improved truck! :grd:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts