Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey you all i am a lover oif the duramax and am curious on how it has performed with the plow, any good or bad things to say?

·
Registered
453 Posts
no big snows yet, but she pushes better than my 03... i am excited to see some snow. The only issue is that the frame is higher on this, and i had to cut the heck out of my front valance... hopfully it will snow, and i can buy a new one in the spring!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Western plow on mine. It works great. No cutting of the airdam on mine, but the new Western mounts hang really low. I had to go up three turns on the torsion bars to lift the front end. The Dmax engine must be pretty heavy, because it would nose dive pretty good before I lifted the front end. I have the 7 1/2' Pro plow on mine with 400 lbs ballast in the bed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
great so fare. but all of by dmax trucks have been. have about 37 hours of plowing on it so fare..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good to hear that you are having good luck with the new truck. I knew these trucks would push good. Have heard nothing but good things from the guys around here pushing snow with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone noticed there transmission temps getting warm with the plow on. Mine got up to about 185 degree if driving a while with the plow in the up position.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Can I ask you boys a question? Do ya'll plow snow around your house, on the roads, or where exactly? Also, do ya'll do it to get paid, or just so you have a clear path?

I can't imagine having to plow my way through snow in order to get from point A to point B :duh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can I ask you boys a question? Do ya'll plow snow around your house, on the roads, or where exactly? Also, do ya'll do it to get paid, or just so you have a clear path?

I can't imagine having to plow my way through snow in order to get from point A to point B :duh:

lots of people get hired out by resturants,schools,chruchs,malls etc. and of course they get paid for there services. Also people use them around there house if they have a long drive-way and such. This is what my dad does.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I keep overheating on the hills. Have the plow only a couple inches off the ground, and it gets hot, around 235-40. trans temp up to 195. Had to pull off the road to cool her down. Temps stay fine on level roads. As far as plowing, put a good set of rubber underneath her, and there like a mini bulldoser:cool:.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I keep overheating on the hills. Have the plow only a couple inches off the ground, and it gets hot, around 235-40. trans temp up to 195. Had to pull off the road to cool her down. Temps stay fine on level roads. As far as plowing, put a good set of rubber underneath her, and there like a mini bulldoser:cool:.

MyBowtie, I don't know if u know this or not but temprature gauges on the LMM's are 20 degrees off. Meaning your 235-240 is really on 220-235 degrees. As long as the truck is cooling itself off via fan than there's going to be no problem, however if the fan isn't cooling the engine than this is an issue. Do you have an LMM or LBZ?

·
Registered
428 Posts
MyBowtie, I don't know if u know this or not but temprature gauges on the LMM's are 20 degrees off. Meaning your 235-240 is really on 220-235 degrees. As long as the truck is cooling itself off via fan than there's going to be no problem, however if the fan isn't cooling the engine than this is an issue. Do you have an LMM or LBZ?
I have a LMM...bone stock. I didn't know the temp gage was off. thanks for the info...Was the 195 trans temp was too high? maybe ill bring it to the stealer and have it checked out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mine hasn't shown any sign of overheating or even getting hot. I run the cold front with the plow on from time to time, and the temp seems more stable for some reason... this is not proven to be ok, but it seems to work for me. Anyone else have any experience with this?
AM

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have a LMM...bone stock. I didn't know the temp gage was off. thanks for the info...Was the 195 trans temp was too high? maybe ill bring it to the stealer and have it checked out.
If you are towing heavy and thru hills. The temp will hit that high, again not a problem. No matter what diesel u have, if the temprature is hot, pulling a heavy load up grades, you're motor will get hot. Cummins do it, powerstrokes do it and so do duramaxes. The problem with the 04.5 LLY was that it wasn't cooling the engine off when it got hot. Most of the big rigs have a manual fan switch, so when they begin to get hot, you can just flip a switch and it will cool it off, without that, those things would over-heat as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Plowing with 08

I love mine. We plowed again today. It's like plowing in your favorite easy chair. Eric

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Have you guys noticed any difference plowing when the truck goes into regen mode? Does it do it more or less when plowing?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have you guys noticed any difference plowing when the truck goes into regen mode? Does it do it more or less when plowing?
Mine regened last night, and it didnt seem to loose any power or anything.. just the spastic type of feeling on the go petal... as it does when it regens. It seems to try more frequently because it missed a complete burn prior while i was plowing, so it is trying to do some catch-up. There are lurking suspicions about the DFP and plowing. If it doesn't get in a complete burn, then it will go into limp mode. I am fearing that to happen at 2am. We'll see what happens i guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts