Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dad knew a guy that had one on a tractor and he said it was a joke. sayd it took to long to heat up engine. I thought about installing one on my Diesel lawn mower i built last year. it has a air cooled lombardini diesel engine in it so i have to glow plug it in the cold. I think im not going to use it in the winter though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used one of those last month on a hunting trip in Montana. It was single digits below zero in the morning and the truck started like it was summer. I did have both the factory block heater and the oil pan heater plugged in.

According the a gm service bulletin, these engines can produce oil pressure in excess of 100 lbs. on a cold start(below 0) with 15w-40 oil. I was running 15w-40 and the oil pressure built up to about 80lbs when I started the truck on those cold mornings.

Hoss

·
Registered
514 Posts
The main point to the thing is to warm the engine oil so it flows better. It's not intended to heat the engine for faster starts or the engine coolant for faster warm air from the heater ducts. The right tool for the right job. I'd much rather be starting an engine with cold coolant rather than cold slow flowing oil. That and it takes SIGNIFICANTLY less power to run the pan heater compared to the coolant heater.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ive got two one on the oil pan and one on the trans pan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
cwolfe;

Can you run the cord from the trans pan to the front of your truck or ??? I've been thinking of running both the block & oil pan....the tranny is a good idea too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
No I cant run the cord to the front. Ive got one of those blue extension cords with 3 plugs that I run to the front so I can pulg in all 3 heaters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts