Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent $295 at a local garage to change front and rear diffs to synthetic and to change the tranny fluid and filter. They charged me $40 for the filter alone, anyone else think thats too much?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I do. 7-8 bucks at an Allison dealer.

what fluid did they put in the trans?

·
Banned
735 Posts
I just spent $295 at a local garage to change front and rear diffs to synthetic and to change the tranny fluid and filter. They charged me $40 for the filter alone, anyone else think thats too much?
:eek: Waaaaayyyy too much. I'm pretty sure they are somewhere like $8-$15 IIRC !!!!!!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
:eek: :eek:

The fluid for the front and rear diffs is $65 at Pep Boys for Mobil-1 75w90
The filter is $10 http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=product&action=view&product_id=16168&category_id=278
I bought a spare magnet for the spin-on filter for $4 http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=product&action=view&product_id=16198&category_id=278

Another $5 for a bottle of synthetic Dex-III and that should have been an $85 DIY job, would not have taken over an hour.

This was a "local garage" and not the dealer? Make sure they cleaned and replaced the magnet on top of the spin-on filter. It is very common for people not familiar with the D/A to forget about it and throw it away with the old filter.
I don't trust the dealer to work on my truck.... I wouldn't trust a "local garage" to work on my lawn mower. 20 years ago, you could find some talented mechanics at local shops, but not anymore. Jiffy Lube is the worst.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to do it my self but, it was going in for an alignment anyway so I had them do it. I told them about the magnet and they were familiar with it. The kicker to the whole thing is they didn't even do the alignment. When they gave me the total over the phone I thought it was steep even with the alignment.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
For that price, you should have gotten the fluid changes, tranny filter, alignment, and a hooker :D

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For that price, you should have gotten the fluid changes, tranny filter, alignment, and a hooker :D
Instead I got the bill and a jar of vasaline.

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've spent $23 & $25 (+tax!!!) at 2 different local parts stores. Just ordered them from gmdieseltech.com for way cheeper than that. Can't figure out why they want to charge so much for the same freakin filter??? I'm learning through hard knocks that the supporting vendors may be the best way to go in some cases.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I paid $9.88 for a spin on filter today at Advance Auto Parts (PartsAmerica/Checker/Schucks/Kragen). It is a red housing with no markings. The holes are not obstructed by the magnet. Great price and can pick it up locally.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Change it often.
Ill be doing it Wednesday... the filter on the truck will have 4,900 miles on it. Plan to leave this one on the same amount of time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just paid $7.23 for one yesterday at the local parts store. If I remember correct a GM dealer in the US charged me over $20 last year. Probably all the same filters made by the same company.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts