Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Allison1000.htm THEY HAVE A BUILT CONVERTER FOR $695 THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HOLD 600HP. #A1000. Super Heavy Duty torque converter for the Allison 1000 transmission. This converter comes with a larger clutch than the stock converter. Good for heavy towing and motor homes. Also has all bearing and welded construction. Rated at 600 horse power and 1000 torque. Cost, Gas or Diesel $695.00

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IF THE FRONT CASE ISNT BILLET, IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET A STAMPED STEAL CASE TO WITHSTAND 1000 LBS???

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
The tranny pan they are selling is a PML pan.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What's wrong? Is that price too high?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable deal ....

It's obvious they work on transmissions ,just have never heard of them ... If someone calls get some specs on the converter ...

Their site not that it means anything is a bit odd to navigate ... I still don't know where their located,I gave up ...

Mac

·
Registered
448 Posts
PEANUTGRWR said:
IF THE FRONT CASE ISNT BILLET, IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET A STAMPED STEAL CASE TO WITHSTAND 1000 LBS???

Is billet stronger? I was under the impression that it was primarily a way that low production run items could be built, tooling cost you know.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
They are using a picture taken from this forum for the Transgo kit. Either there is an affiliation with the guy that posted here or they read this forum....

FYI Trango Article

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GUYS, IF IT SOMEONE GETS ONE AND IT WORKS OUT GREAT BE SURE TO REMEMBER WHO PUT YOU ON TO IT. AND IF YOU GET ONE AND ITS A TOTAL PIECE OF sh*t =====FORGET WHO PUT YOU ON TO IT

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is the reply I got from the guy on the Ebay link that Tony posted above a few weeks ago.

"Good Morning,
Yes, the converter is a stock allison unit that has been worked over by a company back east that has been in transmission business for 30 years. Most beefed up torque converters are. It is a single lock. The clutches I am providing are OEM replacements. I can get all clutches needed for Allison trans. Still waiting for some to come out with kevlar. We have tested this kit with our torque converter and TransGo has tested it with another torque converter. The torque converters only real problem is the front cover, which you can see in the picture is a fully billet piece unlike other companies that just weld a piece of metal to the stud boses. Because I have low overhead and my profit margin is lower thats why I can sell them. We are a new business, but have 15 years experience and have pretty much done it all, motor, trans, diffs rebuilds, machine work, restoring cars, lift kits, superchargers, nitrous, roll cages, built and raced drag cars, 800 horsepower speed boats and the list goes on. Presently the business is building at 750 horsepower sand drag jeep. We even are testing a new nitrous kit for dirtbikes. As I mentioned in my add the price on this kit is going up soon. I am not hear to rip anyone off.
Thanks,
Detonator Diesel Performance "

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There is a company locally that does transmissions and they want to sell me a new torque converter front cover for $600 canadian ($460us approx).
They claim that is all that is needed.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Be carefull guys. A good Allison converter can not be built for 600 bucks. If the converter fails it usually takes the trans with it. You take a big chance gambling on a cheap price.

mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey guys I have fond a place that sells the billet cover, heres the address http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/default.asp?product_id=114&product_cat=2&validate=1
I believe it's still on sale for $167 it's a company out of canada.
And the torque converter listed above is built by midwest torque converters out of Rockford Ill.
http://www.raceconverters.com/iCONT.htm
You can order them directly through them. I just installed one from the Transmission center and it seems to be doing just fine TST Comp & Duramaximizer, I only dropped the stall 100rpm's so I wouldn't loose my low end torque. I am running the TCC valve with the 190psi spring too... Moblie One synthetic, with the deep pan it held 23qts total.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Oh, and of course the transgo.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MIKE L, WILL THE ABOVE MENTIONED CONVERTER COVER THAT HAS BEEN PUT ON A STOCK CONVERTER MAKE A DECENT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT????

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IF I UNDERSTAND IT CORRECTLY IT BOLTS TO THE STOCK CONVERTER AND ISNT WELDED, RIGHT? IF SO HOW DOES THIS IMPROVE THE CONVERTER SINCE YOU ARE STILL USING THE OLD/WEAK BOLT LUGS?

·
Registered
704 Posts
If it bolted to the old cover, than wouldn't it push the TC too deep into the Allison when bolted to the Duramax?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts