Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since lifts are too much money, i want to add a pit to my garage.

anyone ever build one? know someone who built one? tips/tricks?

dimensions? how to pour?

thanks for any info

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I would think that the cement for a pit wouldn't be much less then a lift. You can buy lifts really cheap now. I wouldn't go any other way personally. Just curious how much you think lifts are worth?

You can get a lift capable of 9,000 - 10,000lbs for around $2000 BTW.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you do go with a pit, be very careful with CO and other fumes. They are heavier than air and will accumulate in the pit. BOOM!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
We have a pit at work, it is more economical for us since we work on semis. We have an exhaust tube in the pit, lights recessed into the walls, a drain with an air pump to get rid of water, we also have closets on eash side, one with a grease reel, other for bottle jacks and such. On the top edges of the pit we have angle iron, it provides a track for our oil pan to slide on, it also has a hose in the pit with another air pump to suck used oil out. You wouldnt need all this stuff, but I would definately put lights in no matter what.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max Power;1589365; said:
I would think that the cement for a pit wouldn't be much less then a lift. You can buy lifts really cheap now. I wouldn't go any other way personally. Just curious how much you think lifts are worth?

You can get a lift capable of 9,000 - 10,000lbs for around $2000 BTW.

interesting. but after all is said and done (installation (can i do it) and other expenses) how much is it?

i wanted the pit for quick and dirty oil changes. i hate tearing out the jack and some stands.

also gives me an excuse to buy a backhoe attachment for the john deere :D

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There really isn't much to installing them.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
timberdoodle;1589377; said:
If you do go with a pit, be very careful with CO and other fumes. They are heavier than air and will accumulate in the pit. BOOM!

never thought of that :eek:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max Power;1589493; said:
There really isn't much to installing them.

hmm.... i'll hit up google for a while now. any brands i should be aware of?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Just remember you can't just bolt a lift down to any old concrete. Not sure what your shop is but check with a lift company 1st.
I would still vote a lift over a pit though.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, i feel dumb. i've never even seen the two-post style lifts before. i'm used to the ones where they come out from the ground. two big hydraulic cylinders, one in front of the other.

i haven't even built the garage yet.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The pit would require excavation, footings, foundation walls, basement floor and structural suspended slab... has to be much more then a lift.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
nosliw;1589492; said:
interesting. But after all is said and done (installation (can i do it) and other expenses) how much is it? i wanted the pit for quick and dirty oil changes. I hate tearing out the jack and some stands. also gives me an excuse to buy a backhoe attachment for the john deere :d
now thats just sily right there...the hoe attachment alone would cost more than a decent 2 post lift...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Car Lifts

http://www.americasprideonline.com/2-Post-Auto-Lifts/2-Post-Car-Lift-Symmetric-Floorplate-10000-lbs-AP-10FC-1015783-1-1-.ViewProduct

I am i agrement with the first posted message, then i typed in CAR LIFTS(simple) and wala Take your pick! :)
I would build aleast one bay(32'x16') that is at least 14 ft high to accomadate whatever your lift you chose and give yourself at least 4'-6' clearance front and baack(CrewCab 8' Bed?+?or drive-in drive-out bay)Plus room for all those pretty tool boxs left and right, compresser hoses,shelfs,work benches etc..:eek: Good-Luck
Ps Do not forget the fridge for whatever satisfise's your thirst, a phone to call and order the parts and a tv for those sunday afternoon jobs......and most of all the reading room with plenty of truck acc. magizenes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also.. check with your local building department.. Some city's and towns don't like pits.... Becareful.. if they found it they could make you fill it back in....

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hemisareslow;1589934; said:
now thats just sily right there...the hoe attachment alone would cost more than a decent 2 post lift...

significantly more than a decent 2 post lift.

i also have a lot of stumps to remove...... damn it's hard to justify that purchase no matter how i cut it :Insane:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mr BaadBoy;1589950; said:
http://www.americasprideonline.com/2-Post-Auto-Lifts/2-Post-Car-Lift-Symmetric-Floorplate-10000-lbs-AP-10FC-1015783-1-1-.ViewProduct

I am i agrement with the first posted message, then i typed in CAR LIFTS(simple) and wala Take your pick! :)
I would build aleast one bay(32'x16') that is at least 14 ft high to accomadate whatever your lift you chose and give yourself at least 4'-6' clearance front and baack(CrewCab 8' Bed?+?or drive-in drive-out bay)Plus room for all those pretty tool boxs left and right, compresser hoses,shelfs,work benches etc..:eek: Good-Luck
Ps Do not forget the fridge for whatever satisfise's your thirst, a phone to call and order the parts and a tv for those sunday afternoon jobs......and most of all the reading room with plenty of truck acc. magizenes.

:eek:

i'm going to start buying lottoticket today :D

thanks for the dimensions

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I have worked under alot of lifts and like several folks have mentioned, you can buy an asymetrical two post lift for $2-2.5k that will handle 9k lbs. You may think a pit is cheap but after pay for the digging, forming and pouring of the concrete you maybe more than the lift. Next ? is will your insurance cover it after you fall in it by accident, and yes, you will fall in it sooner or later. A friend of mine had a 9k Amco lift and a pit. After he fell in the pit for a second time he filled it in and bought another lift. The first time he broke his leg and the second time he was dangling from a plow frame which tore his arm and chest up badly. This is his business also and his insurance company was going to drop him after his second claim. A pit is great for large vehicles but i wouldnt use one unless i had to. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
What has been said.....pits work for heavy stuff and are better than doing it on your back....but for most stuff a lift is much better.

Definalty put lighting down there and if you are doing it from scratch conduits to run electric and air down into.

·
Registered
316 Posts
nosliw;1589356; said:
since lifts are too much money, i want to add a pit to my garage.

anyone ever build one? know someone who built one? tips/tricks?

dimensions? how to pour?

thanks for any info
Pits are generally deadly and prohibited in lots of areas. No pits in residential applications.

Concrete for lifts... no problem. Saw cut the floor and get out the old concrete. Make a hole about 8' * 1' * 1'; fill it with good concrete, use
rebar and good hold-down bolts. Weld the hold-down bolts to the
rebar.

Bag mix concrete can be strong. As you buy it in the store it is always short of cement. Add 16 oz -- one big coffee cup full -- of cement per
3 bags in the mixer. Mix dry for a while. Go light on the water, then pour
right in the hole. Repeat until hole filled.

I did a few pallets of that last year -- 90 lbs per bag.

You can make up a plywood blocker plate so you can trowel as you go along.

The result will be a very hard concrete.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you are building new I would suggest a Bend Pak two post lift. You can get a 9000lb for around $2500 or less. I bought a Bend Pack 12,000lb four post lift for $2829 shipping included from www.asedeals.com I did not price a two post lift. I will be doing exhaust and fluid changes with it. For brake or wheel work I can use floor jacks. Another thing I like about the four post lift is I can store a truck on it if I want. The model I bought is HD12. It has 116" width between the posts which will clear the mirrors. A pit done right with a water sump, 3' wide 6' deep and 24' long will be at least $2,000. I would not put in a pit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts