Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is emphatically looking for an 8.1L with 6-speed ally and 3.73s. He is dead set on the 3.73s too. I need to know if anyone else has one and what kind of economy they're getting. Also anyone the same engine/tranny and 4.10s to compare to.

The one my dad is after is a GMC K2500HD SLT EC/LB w/every bell, button, & whistle (no sunroof, no snow plow pkg).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He can't justify the extra ~$6k that it takes to step into one. The truck might tow a 5th wheel twice a year. Otherwise it's gonna have a fullsize Weatherguard toolbox & 110gal fuel tank in it. Believe me...I've tried very hard to get him behind the wheel of an LBZ. I guess when I get done with school I'll have to show him what a real GMC is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the 8.1 is a great engine, I have a new on on order. Like your dad I don't see spending the extra 6k on the LBZ. I know that it is a good engine, but I tow a Toy hauler bout 4 times a year. Other than that its just the boat. WIth the cost of maintance and fuel these days its not worth it. If i was going to keep the truck 7-10years then the diesel would be worth it maybe. It's his choice. MY will have the 4.10 gears, just better low end and mileage will not be that different.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the truck in sig tell to get the 4.10's hands down!!!!!! with the double OD on the 6-speed allison it will be about the same rpm as the 5speed with 3.73's. But you will have the better towing.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Super-H, that was my point. 2nd-OD + 4.10s is still better than OD + 3.73s. His point was maximizing economy at all available points, meaning 2nd-OD + 3.73s. He figures that he might tow something twice a year if that. Then it'll only be for 200 mi round trip. It will be a D4 CAT on a gooseneck though.

It was ordered today. 2006 GMC K2500HD SLT EC/LB. Summit White with Sandstone Interior, Vortec 8100, Allison 6-Speed, 3.73s & Locking Diff. Roof lights, step bars, skid plates, Bose/XM/Onstar, dual heated front bucket seats, camper style mirrors, trailering package, high capacity air cleaner, did I miss anything :p ? It won't have a snow plow prep package, camper wiring harness, or sunroof. I forgot to ask if dual alternators and dual batterys were available...damnit.

Thank you all that have replied so far. I am still curious as to what kind of economy that you are seeing. What kind of mods (airbox, exhaust) are you running and what is your driving style?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You'll be wishing for the 4.10's...

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have the truck you are looking for. Does he want a used one. I have a 2003 8.1 ally with a 3:73 in mint condition. Has all the bells. GMC slt. it has 35000 miles on it. Let me know if you are interested. Just drop me an e-mail at [email protected].

1 - 8 of 8 Posts