Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Deaver springs and Airbags but I still want a smoother ride. Looking at going completely air ride with a triangulated or reverse triangulated four-link. Anyone linked the rear end of these trucks yet?

I know Kelderman and a few others offer an air ride kit for the duallies but I haven't seen anything I like yet.

Thanks for the info,

Chris

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Kelderman kit is awesome. There is another similar full air rear setup available from some other aftermarket manufacturer, but I forgot the name. I have heard only good things about these setups, but the price is usually outrageous. Now, if someone would just design a full air ride suspension for the front of these trucks...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went back and looked at the newer Kelderman kits....not bad. I might end up with something like that. Not a huge fan of the panhard bar but it makes life a lot easier to do that and the parrallel four-link vs. trying to fit a triangulated upper link in there. Also a lot easier figuring out squat/anti sqaut geometry too.

Anyone else?

Chris

·
Registered
356 Posts
dont know of any four link kits, so im sure it will be a custom thing. not hard but it is some work to get the geometry right the first time. good luck and i want a pic when it done.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lxh0318;1488781; said:
Check out this thread. It has some pictures of a 3 link on a good fried of mines truck. I am planning the same in the near future. They are the solid MFG links.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1484918#post1484918

Just saw that thread and ordered up a bunch of Johny joints and frame mounts, etc...

I was going to run a triangulated four link but after sitting under the truck for an hour last night measuring....I think I'm gonna be stuck with a parrallel four link and panhard bar very similar to the Kelderman kit but I'll keep it a around 6" of lift.

I already have 8000 lb bags rated at 300 psi, a 2 gallon tank, compressor, and air lines but I think I'm gonna step up the lines to 1/4" at least. I also need to get a new air manifold to run the bags with elec selenoids instead of the nuematic controls I have now.

Any thoughts on running an aux tank feeding the bags for more air volume and a better ride? I'll still run a storage tank but I've seen on the larger truck kits they run and aux tank or "ping tank" to give the bags more effective volume. Do you think I need it?

Thanks for the help so far guys...I'll make sure to post pics as I go. Now it's time to get the truck all measured up and into my cad program to start checking the geometry.

Chris

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
whippledHD are you going to sell your current set up i am looking for some bags and all i can find are the 5000 ones. but i don't see why you couldn't do a four link i think the gas tank would be the biggest obstacle

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdugie123;1489501; said:
whippledHD are you going to sell your current set up i am looking for some bags and all i can find are the 5000 ones. but i don't see why you couldn't do a four link i think the gas tank would be the biggest obstacle
I'm going to use the 8000lb bags I have now for the new set-up. I have a set of 5000lb bags sitting in the garage. The bags I have now are double convuluted(sp?) Slam Specialty bags and I got them with the intention of using them for this set-up. They weren't that expensive. PM me if you want the name and number of the shop where I got them. They are the same bags that a lot of the slammed duallies are using.

I will have a nice set of 6" lifted Deaver Springs for sale though :)

The gas tank is the biggest obstacle, especially the Transfer Flow 45 gal tank I have ...it takes up most of the room so that's why I'm probably going with the parrallel four link. Top link will tie into the front spring perch and then I'll add the lower frame mount further up the frame.

So far the geometry looks pretty good, roll center for the rear is going to be a little higher than I wanted but that's not to big of a deal.....I'll add a rear sway bar if it needs it.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
do you have any pics of how your air bags are set up that would help me out thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jdugie123;1489866; said:
do you have any pics of how your air bags are set up that would help me out thanks

It's very similar to the Air lift kit that replace the bump stops on the frame. I just fabbed up larger brackets for the new bags. I also added 6" to the lower mount to make up for the lift. Most of the bags have the same bolt patterns.

Hope this helps. I'm off to the desert for New Years, I'll check back in next year.

Chris

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Brackets and joints arrived, I need to go get the tubing for the links. I also ordered the Air Ride Technologies Level Pro controller.

http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/levelpro.asp

I got just the controller set-up but with only two sensors. I liked this system the best compared to the Firestone and Air Ride systems. This one uses level position sensors and pressure sensors and has wide variety of programmable features.

Looks like we're set to tear into this thing on the 26th and 27th. I'll get some photo's of the progress.

·
Registered
61 Posts
WhippledHD,
Where'd you go to learn how to calculate the anti-squat, RC, etc. for your suspension? I've been looking everywhere and haven't found anything useful.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WeedNemesis;1504402; said:
WhippledHD,
Where'd you go to learn how to calculate the anti-squat, RC, etc. for your suspension? I've been looking everywhere and haven't found anything useful.

I bought a book called "Chassis Engineering" by Herd Adams. Lots of good info about suspension and chassis design.

There are a few on-line I found but none as good as the book. I'll see if I have the links on my computer at work.

Chris

·
Registered
881 Posts
So you are doing a parallel 4 bar? With the amount of travel gained will there be any binding of the driveshaft af full droop?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
moore87;1505311; said:
So you are doing a parallel 4 bar? With the amount of travel gained will there be any binding of the driveshaft af full droop?

Simi-parrallel four link. The travel of the bags is really going to be the limiting factor so I'll use limit straps to keep them from over-extending. Still playing with the geometry but I'm going to try and minimize the axle rotating down at the suspension droops. So far it looks like the bags will run out before the driveshaft binds.

WhippledHD,
Here's a link to the best article I found on-line:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/suspension/131_0307_four_link_suspension_part_2/

Hope that helps,

Chris

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I found this site a while ago and if you want to have all your links to be the same legth look through this guys site or ask him for his stuff...so that way if your off-roading you can just keep one spare instead of 2..I believe what you want is under project money pit

http://www.azrockcrawler.com/

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
here's a couple pics of what i found...

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a few pics of the Kelderman set-up that I'll be modeling mine after.

·
Registered
505 Posts
After you get your drawing for your brackets would you care to e-mail them to me so I could check them out? I am about to four link mine also. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts