Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Garmin iQue GPS unit. Let me start by saying I don't know how I lived without one. It works great and I have yet to get lost with it. Here's the thing, the car cradle made for it is less than perfect. It tends to fly off the dash under hard acceleration or rough roads. It is also neccessary to use the antenna from the unit itself which can have a problem tracking satellites at times. I would like to hard wire it to my truck. I plan on buying the alternate mounting unit from Garmin and taking it apart. Since my truck has XM and no On-Star I want to mount the speaker where the On-Star mic would be in the headliner and put the aux antenna that Garmin offers inside an XM cover to keep the roof symetrical. Do you think it would interfere with the reception?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Berk

I have the SteetPilot 111 and found the supplied antenna ineffective in many situations. I would lose satellites regularly. I installed a Mighty Mouse II remote antenna on the outside (PS lower part of windshield) and have not had a problem since. Tried the same antenna inside and although there was a marked improvement still lost reception sometimes. Moved it outside problems solved. Here's a link with what's available for your unit. http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/iqueaccessories.htm

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you used the Garmin made external antenna?

·
Registered
233 Posts
BERK said:
Have you used the Garmin made external antenna?

I've only tried the small antenna that came attached to the unit and the external one I mentioned above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts