Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a full console in a crew cab or extra cab truck(doesn't really matter) that came from the factory with a seat type console?? I would like to do this to my 2005 crew cab LLY. My truck has the seat type console but I have always liked the full dash consoles. I found a couple online but would like to know if its possible to swap them. It looks to me like the dashes between the two style trucks are a little different, but will that play a part in the installation, anyone?? Also is there a difference between a silverado, yukon, or tahoe console between 2004-2005 or are they all the same? I would imagine that they are the same. The reason I ask is because the ones I am finding are from Tahoe's and Yukon's primarily. Any thoughts???.......
thanks Jordan

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm just beginning that process myself. Bought the console from "DuratotheMAX" aka Ben, from his '05 Chevy and yes, the lower dash is slightly different. Issues will include the lower dash, power to the console and a/c routing...I plan to start next month...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah, I did it. Got the console off Ebay from an 03 Tahoe, and lucked into the dashboard piece for $25 a few months before I found the console. Took a few mintues to unbolt the four bolts per seat and take them out, jumpseat just lifts out. It took longer to find and unbolt all the littel bolts that hold the stock glovebox/lower dash out then it did to take the seats out. Then put the dash piece in first, and then the console, and then bolt the seats back in, pretty straightforward. Good luck with it, I love mine. One of my favorite mods.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thats good news that it can be done. I haven't seen any of the dash pieces but I know what your talking about. Anyone have a tan one or know where to get one for an 05??? The only problem that I see is the heater ducting runs right along the lower part of the dash where the console connects. Does the ducting get in the way of the console?? Anyone have any pics that they can upload. Its more on the passengers side underneath the dash where the console would be. :help:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adam McLaughlan can you upload some pics of your dash piece cut and how it fits with the console. Maybe I will just cut mine, but I would rather see how it looks first. thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a tan full center console that they want to sell/trade for a tan flip-up seat console??? Flip-up unit is only 6 months old. I will trade it for one but I would like to keep it if anyone wants to sell theirs.

Sorry, I know this should be in the wanted items thread but i don't have enough posts yet. thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
how much did you pay off of ebay last time i checked they wanted a arm and a leg

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't remember, it's been over a year, but I think I got one for $350 shipped, it was by far the cheapest one I had seen (in tan) that I had been watching for several months and they always went crazy in the last few hours, so I snatched one up for buy it now price. I love it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have just done the opposite as you , I put in the fold down seat as mine came with the rigid back. As far as them swapping out, they will from 01 thru 06 and theonly thing that sucked is the bolts holding the seats down. Most people dont have the special socket that you need or the reverse torx socket. SO after spending $25 to get those, It took 30 minutes to completely remove the passenger seat and reinstall.

Phillip
03DA I LUV my truck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought, will the brackets from the flip-up console interchange with the full-console? or could you easily modify them to work with the full console? I am finding very few consoles on ebay but half of them don't come with the brackets. any thoughts? thanks Jordan:ro)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm told the brackets are the same from other posts...dats all I know. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really, thats great!:cool2:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
See ebay listing # 8037170471 for a floor console I am selling which includes an edge attitude moniter brackett, glove box and trim.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I am wanting to do this conversion too. I bought the counsel off of ebay but cant find the front portion of the counsel that is under the dash. Does anybody have this for sale or what should I be using as a search term for ebay?
Kevin

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just completed my conversion...

I just completed converting from the folding center seat to the full console. Key points that I found;
1. You do not need any special GM sockets. Just use deep sockets. I believe the front nuts were 15mm and the rear bolts were 11mm on the seats.
2. The mounting brackets for the seat and the console I installed are DIFFERENT from each other. The center seat one is more substantial and cross braced for the heavier passenger weight. I believe they can be interchanged but only with some fabrication. I would NOT use the center console brace (at least the one I now have) on a flip up seat...it's too flimsy.
3. You do NOT need a special console-type lower dash if you are willing to accurately cut the one you have with the center seat. I used a hack saw and a sanding block after careful measurements with a straight edge and it took 10 minutes max, and came out perfectly.
4. Factory 12v power plugs directly from one dash to the other; no mods.
5. My new console has a rear 12v port which I just wired by tapping into the 12 volt source from the front plug-ins.
6. Entire project took about 2 hours and everyone says it looks FACTORY!
:ro)

·
Registered
825 Posts
That's awesome, glad to hear it worked out well. Any pics?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Pic as requsted...adding others to "My Garage"

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
or so I thought...guess I'll just try with the garage option...
:(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts