Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went out to start my 84 6.2 to go to work, it hasn't very cold so I only used the glowplugs for a few seconds then cranked... nothing. repeat... nothing. Hmmm must be colder than I thought, try again, this time it fires but when I let off the starter it kept on cranking over! :eek: :eek:
So I turned it off.. Censored still cranking!! DAMN! Off I go running down the drive open the stupid gate, fumble for the key to the garage all the time it's still cranking! Go inside for once in my life all my tools are picked up & put away and the box is Censored LOCKED!! Fumble with keys again, grab some vise-grips and a screwdriver(i don't know, :eek:: the screwdriver seemed like a good idea at the time) ran back out popped the hood and removed the smoking pos cable from the right battery.
Turns out I guess I cranked it a little to long and coupled with an old starter end the seliniod stuck. just replaced it and the cable today and it works like new. Iv'e never heard of a starter failing like that, I'm glad it was in my driveway, not at the maga store. just thought i'd share this with ya, I musta looked real funny running around like that:lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep...I been through that....only it was my wife in my 85 burban with a load of girl scouts up in the local california mountains. To hear her tell the story it cranked several minutes, after it started, melted the battery lead insulation, and then the battery just gave up and it all stopped. When I drove up in my other suburban, I got to do the autopsy. I replaced the starter, battery and battery to starter cable and all was well. I count my self luck it didn't burn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
had it happen to me once also ... lucky enough the hood was open and battery cable where loose so I just disconnected the battery ... never happened since, crossing my fingers :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
three different times on two different 6.2's I had these starters off for different reasons and they all happened within a few days to a week from having the starters off. carried vicegrips on seat for a while. been 6-7 years ago by now. I was told started had to much end play inside. but have not a clue if this is true. just hooked mine back up and said "huh thats strange". talk to a good friend last weekend who is 6.2-6.5 diesel man said many pu's burnt down to tires because of this.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
The cause of your problem is the contacts on the solenoid welded themselves together. Get a new high quality solenoid. Low voltage is sometimes the problem, starts arcing across the contacts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts