Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Retrax cover and I am thinking of getting a custom toolbox built to fit under the Retrax and in front of my 5er hitch. Has anyone done this ? Any pictures ?

After some measuring, the cross-section might look like this:

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
IF you build it makes sure you take into account the room it takes for the latch. If you build it the full width of the box and just below the cover the latch won't get by it.

I have an aluminum box that is roughly 3'x'3'x4wide. I built 2 brakets that slide in my 5th wheel hitch rails. I can complely remove it if i want, otherwise it sits in front of my hitch. Kind of hard to explain. I will get some pictures later. I like your idea alot
You might want to incorporate a fuel tank into it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had planned for the front, L-shaped part to go under the Retrax canister. The lid would go on the angled part at the front. Not sure where the latch would have to go but it's a good question.

I plan to install a Supertank for fuel, so my whole box will be open for junk.

Would appreciate pictures of your setup.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had a fuel tank fabricated to slide under and around mine. Gave me an extra 45 gallons of capacity. Basically looks like a big L, and slid right under the canister, and under the cover. Very pleased with it.

Have an inbed chest box between the fuel tank and 5th wheel hitch.

With the hitch removed, bed available is still adequate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I finally did it

I found an aluminum fabricator in Edmonton to make the toolbox. They changed the design a little and it was completed last night.

I will post pictures later this week. It uses all the space under the Retrax and goes all the way back to the wheel wells. It has a sloping lid so I can still see the hitch to hook up. Good interior volume. Built like an aluminum battleship.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Diesel Dad,

Can't wait to see the pic's...please take many angles...next question is how much did it set you back? is the chest just a chest or did they fab drawer's in to front? Would they do another orderor more importantly, who did the work?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Max Power said:
I like your idea alot
  You might want to incorporate a fuel tank into it.
I thought about the fuel tank before. Since I don't weld, I would have to sub this out to a local boat tank builder. Baffles were recommended to me as well as Nascar fuel cell type foam. It still might not pass a DOT inspection is what I was told. So at $450 (all valving included) I backed off. for now at least.

Pepperidge

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are photos as promised. Cost was $1200 CDN. Warning -- the dimensions have changed since my original drawing ! If anything, I had it made a little too large and I could have gone a half inch smaller in most dimensions.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Diesel Dad,

Nice work. Now that you have the thing fine tuned, you should start marketing them. I'd bet there would be more than a few takers here.

Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts