Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents, Just curious to see if anyone's running H2 take-off wheels with 285/70x17 tires. If so, are there any mods to the truck that need to be made to make 'em fit?

Here's a picture I copied off ebay with the set-up I'm talking about, and they look pretty good to me - much better than the stock set-up.

Can I run this combination without changing the computer in the trans?

I want to get more rubber under the wheelwell, but I don't want to go as big as take-off H2 tires.

Anybody?

Thanks ahead of time,

Chris in NC

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I've got them.

I had to trim about 3/4" off lower part of air dam and tie the inner on the front and rear on left side.

I gave the bars 2 turns too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful!.. that's the look I'm after.

What did you mean by "....and tie the inner on the front and rear on left side." You lost me on that one.

Chris in NC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I just put the H2's and the BFG 285-17's on my 03 HD2500 4X4 (crew cab)- just had to trim a little on the grey lower valance. That was it, oh I did redrill one of the holes for the plastic inner fender (drivers side to gain about 3/8 inch on the front of the tire.

Drives much better, more stable, I can't tell much different in the way the Allison shifts. One thing for sure - the truck looks completely different! I don't tow anything near the capacity of this truck so can't speak to towing performance with the bigger tires. Actually, it seems to run better at highway speeds due to the decrease in rpm in the 70-80 mph range - but it's early yet(got about 100 miles on the new rims and tires).

I looked at the tire rating - the 285-17 KO BFG's are "D" rated - and if I remember are rated higher (or really close) to the stock "E" rated tires...as far as weight capacity goes.

Hopr this helps

My experenice so far as been "why did I wait so long?"

·
Registered
457 Posts
Saw a local guy running 285s and they looked great. He had obviously cranked the torsion bars but it looked nice.
Oneof3 said:
I looked at the tire rating - the 285-17 KO BFG's are "D" rated - and if I remember are rated higher (or really close) to the stock "E" rated tires...as far as weight capacity goes.
I stand corrected. My apologies.

285/75R17/D @ [email protected]

Those would work for a 2500HD but not enough for a 3500SRW.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
The windshield washer tank pushes the inner fender back and the parking brake cable does too.

I drill 1/4" holes in the plastic and use heavy cable ties to hold them out of the way, quick easy job.

Put them on and u can see the places and fix accordingly.

BTW the 3500 SRW only gets 6500# tire cap on rear so u only lose 110#.Edited by: Dmax Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
NCMAX,
Just another possiblity is the Nitto 305/60/17. Rated at 2998lb per tire. More of a highway tread though. Nice and quiet, speed rated, and I had to do no trimming.
Hoagie

·
Registered
18 Posts
NCMAX,
I posted a photo of these tires on my 4x4 on the topic just above this one on Centers for the H2 rims.
Hoagie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts