Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
when did 4.10 gears become available for the D/A?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just ordered my truck on Sat. and the dealer told me they were not available.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
As far as I know, the 4.10 gears have always shown up as available on the order forms since they also have the gasser engine options. They were listed when I ordered my truck in November last year.

If you look carefully at the fine print, you'll see that the Dmax is only available with 3.73 gearing. I don't remember where that's listed, but IIRC, there's no mention of it on the order form.

If a dealer tries to input 4.10 gears when ordering, the computer won't take it.....

That's the last I heard about it and the posts above seem to confirm that the 4.10 ratio is not available from the factory with a Dmax engine.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
247 Posts
Even if you could get 4.10's, you would have to be doing some real serious towing to justfy them. Without doing the math, 4.10 gears & 245 tires would get you in the upper 2000RPM range when driving 75mph. If I rembember correctly, the Dmax factory redline is around 3000 rpm. For us guys that only tow on occasion, a set of 3.55's would probably be in order!

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sammy,

Are you saying that 3.73's are not tall enough?

For those putting 285's on, the 4.10 gears bring you right back to factory performance curves and RPM's, a plenty good reason to justify 4.10's.

Better appearance without the stress consequences, and if it's free as an option, then that changes everything, doesn't it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The only problem though is that since the factory tire is a 245, the engineers are only going to offer a gear ratio that is designed to work optimally with the smaller tire. Sounds like a mute point anyway since 3.73 gears are the only ones offered in the Dmax.

Yes, I really like the air springs. I have used them on 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton trucks, and like the adjustable loading capabilities. I run the minimum pressure when empty, but then add about 30-40 lbs when loading my pickup camper. Max load is about 100 lbs of air pressure.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sammy said:
Sounds like a mute point anyway since 3.73 gears are the only ones offered in the Dmax.

I think they are in 04, just not well advertised yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone know of a GM phone # to call in order to verify if 4.10's are an option? I would like to put 285 on my truck and since I just ordered maybe I can still change it?!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gear choices are tough. I went through allot of scratching my head about wich ones to use when building my race car. The end result after allot of trial and error was this. The more torque you build with your engine, The less gear you need, 3.08-3.73 (It keeps the engine in the Torque band longer.) However if you make an engine with allot of High RPM Horsepower you would want more gear, Like a 4.10-4.56 (It gets the engine up in its power band and shift quickly through the gears)

Our motors are torque Beasts. I would stay with a 3.73 unless you are running a 315 tire or bigger.

Just my humble oppinion...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'm running 315/75/16 on my 3.73 gears.....everything seems to be running good. Also, I have a few performance items on my power side.....see below.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ok I'll jump on this too. GM will update the dealer order guide weekly and so far no gear change shown. Here is the past 11 weeks of updates to date; Just my $.02.

<TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<H2>Distribution Updates</H2>
<H4>Updates for Silverado 2500HD</H4>
<H4>Week of 3/22/2004</H4>Effective 3/22/2004, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

<UL>
<LI>Interior section- (B30) Floor covering, color-keyed carpeting and rubberized vinyl floormats, changed the symbol for 1SW to "A" with a new footnote 2 that reads "Requires FBC or Government order types only.".
<LI>Engine and Axle section-Deleted footnote 2 entirely. Also changed the symbol to "A" in the L18/ML6 column for all Models. Old footnote 3 now becomes 2 and old footnote 4 now becomes 3.
<LI>Exterior section-Grille, Gray surround, changed the symbol in the 1SA column to "--".
<LI>Exterior section-(TR3) Grille, color-keyed surround, moved the code to the "Free Flow" column and changed the symbol in the 1SA column to "A" with a new footnote that reads "Must specify". </LI>[/list]
<H4>Week of 2/23/2004</H4>Effective 2/23/2004, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

<UL>
<LI>Interior section-(C49) Defogger, rear-window, electric, changed symbol from and "--" to an "A" on the 1SW Equipment Group only and added footnote 3 that reads "Available with Fleet and Government order types only." that applies only to the 1SW Equipment Group. </LI>[/list]
<H4>Week of 2/9/2004</H4>Effective 2/9/2004, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

<UL>
<LI>SEO Exterior section-Added (TGK) Solid Paint, SEO solid paint, one color. Available on all Models and all decor levels with a footnote that reads "Required with any SEO paint selection". </LI>[/list]
<H4>Week of 2/2/2004</H4>Effective 2/2/2004, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

<UL>
<LI>SEO Interior section-SEO (5B5) Power windows and mirrors (MSRP = $738.00), changed description and pricing to read "(5B5) Power windows and mirrors (MSRP = $738.00) with Regular Cab and Extended Cab Models C/K25903 and C/K25953 (MSRP = $815.00) with Crew Cab Models C/K25943 Provides power driver and passenger front side windows on a base trim level, includes LH and RH outside power adjustable, manual folding, non heated mirrors and up level door panels. The mirror head is the same size and configuration as the base power mirror on LS decor." Changed footnote 1 to read "Requires RPO (AU3) Door locks, power programmable. Power Mirrors can be upgraded to SEO (6P3) Camper Mirrors, remote control, power extendable, non-heated. Includes power rear side windows on C/K25743 and C/K25943 Models."
<LI>SEO Exterior section-Deleted SEO (5M1) Mirrors, outside rearview, manual folding, power, non-heated, Black entirely. </LI>[/list]
<H4>Week of 1/26/2004</H4>Effective 1/26/2004, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

<UL>
<LI>Interior section-(AU3) Door locks, power programmable, removed "programmable" from the description.
<LI>Exterior section-(VF7) Bumper, rear, delete, changed symbol for 1SW to "A" with footnote 1 applying.
<LI>Mechanical section-(Z82) Trailering equipment, heavy-duty, footnote 1 now applies to 1SW inst

·
Registered
4 Posts
i also know for a fact that you can not get the 4.10 rears in the duramax. i just bought my new truck and wanted the 4.10's but when they try and put it in the computer to order it will not allow that selection. i think you can get them with the gas engine but not with the diesel.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
NO 4:10's WITH THE D-MAX!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I also tryed to order the 4.10's and no dice, the build computer kicked it right out. Hey BERK where'd you get that avitar?

ROB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts