Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
trucked failed inspection due a couple of star chips in the windshield. I picked up a Permatex repair kit down at NAPA and since the weather is supposed to be nice this Sat. I'll give it try. Any words of wisdom on this before I end up glueing myself to my truck? :D

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
A wise man once told me 'good luck'. Be careful when drilling (if that is required).

They must be rough on ya'll, here in TX as long as you can see out of the dr. side part of the windshield it passes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Rttoys

You got that right! My wife's from Conroe (Cut-n-Shoot, actually) and the windshield on her college car looked like it was sandblasted!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had a large star from a rock in my previous truck's windshield and was going to have a windshield repair place come out and fix rather than replace it. First thing they asked me was how long ago the damage was done. Apparently dirt builds up in the cracks and effects the clarity/strength of the repair. Mine was too old and they wouldn't do it so it was new windshield time. (They were looking at 48 hours as their acceptable time frame). On second thought, might as well try it since you have the stuff. If it doesn't come out good, you're no worse off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
hey firstruck, my wife is an office manager for a national wide autoglass shop, one thing I do know is this really is brainsurgery, it is to easy to screw this up! let the pros do this, they only charge like10-20 bucks for the repair, and I know that they have the right tools for this, not the crap you buy from the store, plus a little tip, your insurance may actually cover this sort of thing! call them and ask

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey firstruck, my wife is an office manager for a national wide autoglass shop, one thing I do know is this really is brainsurgery, it is to easy to screw this up! let the pros do this, they only charge like10-20 bucks for the repair, and I know that they have the right tools for this, not the crap you buy from the store, plus a little tip, your insurance may actually cover this sort of thing! call them and ask
Right you are! Insurance would cover the cost of the repairs, but my deductable was twice the cost of a new piece of glass. Since I had two or three chips, I opted to go for the new glass, out of pocket($245.00).

FYI- the permatex didn't work for [email protected]! It may have been a little chilly for it to take, @ 55f, although they say it works on UV rays and it was very sunny. The new screen is really qiute awesome, clear as the montana sky

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I too have had sandblasted windshields...too bad there is nothing you can do about them...almost time to replace my current windshield.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got a good kit, basiclly a professional repair kit and have repaired lots of stars and a few cracks about 12 inches long. They all turn out different but it has never been hard to do. Prices used to be as high as $60/chip but now it is so cheap it is hard to justify doing it myself. Just a little time and patience. We have lots of rocks to screw up the windshield down in South Texas so this is a way of life here.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just had to replace my windshield last week. Got a crack that was about 2 inches long, in Aug last year, we got some cold weather couple of weeks ago, grew all the way across drivers side. Crap! Cost me 300 bones. Guy did a great job replacing though. Very clean. Just waitin for some rain now to make sure it won't leak.

Bill

·
Banned
735 Posts
I just had mine replaced yesterday!!!!!!!!!! Last Friday I had a small boulder smack the windshield hard...hard enough to scare the crap outta me :eek: Brandy new now...at no charge. I had no deductable for a new replacement.:cool:

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts