Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you find a used Duramax, is there any way a dealer can run some kind of diagnostic and tell if it has ever been hopped up or not? It seems like they would design something like that into the PCM. Its too easy to modify them. If I'm buying a truck, I would really like to know if I'm getting a piece of junk that somebody has been ragging the crap out of with huge power mods. I saw one the other day with 35,850 miles on it, and had the orginal tires, but they were about slick. There's one you don't want. Somebody was so scared it was going to fall apart that they didn't want it for even 1 mile out of warranty. Most likely they hopped it up to where it would tear up the stock transmission, but didn't do any tranny mods. Now that the tranny is about dead, they pass it off on somebody else. So somebody may buy what they think is a good truck, then drive it 150 miles and have to eat several thousand dollars worth of transmission. I would like to be able to avoid that. Edited by: Brake_Torq

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Original tires is a good start. No way they would still be on the truck at 35,850 miles and the juice. At least not with me driving.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Brake_Torq

Are you some kind of GM spy looking for some tips ....

Any Hoo welcome to hide and seek ..... There is no fool proof way to tell who has done what .... There are some smidgen of ways but nothing concrete ...

Most guys that will hop it up enough to tear up a Transmission will also do other items of interest ,exhaust ,gauges,switches etc ...

You'll have to LOOK around the entire truck for any residual evidence...

There are many trucks on lots with that mileage that are just lease turn ins and most guys wont spend any coin on improvments knowing their just going to turn it in ... Not everone mods their truck to the point of damage .... The majority of the individuals here with a "box" drive in moderate levels ... This doesen't mean on the last trip to the dealer they treated the vehicle to a red headed rental car salute with some last minute burnouts and donuts in a vacant parking lot ...

If you find a clean one just do a exstensive inspection (yourself)and consider an ext warranty ... The engine is covered under a 100k or 5 year ...

Mac

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Well ...

Open the hood, if it has a pyro hole drilled in it. That would be a sure sign. Especially if it doesnt ave a pyro guage in the truck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i wouldnt base it on tires, my '02 6.0 liter gas truck those original fireblown tires were about SHOT at 35000 miles and the truck was bone stock and i don't beat the crap outta my trucks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Of course mine has been hopped up and has 75,000 on the original tires.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
a64pilot said:
Of course mine has been hopped up and has 75,000 on the original tires.

Impressive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts