Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 LLY Starter went out at 1,111 miles. The Solnoid wont kick in but the starter is turning. My dealer can't get a starter so it is on back order. Have there been a lot of problems and why couldn't the solinod be replaced with something that can be found localy rather than waiting for GM to find the complete starter? I have to leave on a trip Friday and NEED MY TRUCK!!!!! Heck if I could fix it by replacing the solinod with another one I would do it myself.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
havent seen any trouble with dmax starters at all. Sounds like just a freak thing. Not sure about the backorder thing, but lean on your dealer a bit and make sure they know your waiting. Its not a commonly stocked item anywhere that I have seen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My truck does that same thing ever once in a while. I will go to start the truck and it acts like the solinod doesn't kick in to turn the truck over. Back the key off and then try it again and starts normal. I haven't been able to pin point the problem when it occurs...ie weather, whether been running, ect.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Same thing as GTFD736. My only concern is that I'm chewing up the flywheel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am on my 4th day without a starter. I am about to try to fix it myself. I think sometimes they are just parts replacers, for all they know there is a lose wire somewhere or at worse just a bad solinod & I am here waiting till they come up with a complete starter that they can't find. I am certin that the starter motor itself is not bad.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Sounds like there may be some trouble with these. Durabill, problem is that these components are not servicable anymore, cant replace parts on them, just assemblies, no parts avail to repair them

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I found this bulletin after I broke a solenoid taking off a starter. It seems the terminal nuts are overtorqued and they break when trying to remove them.

Info - Availability of Starter Motor Solenoid if Damaged During Service #03-06-03-007 - (08/21/2003)

<TABLE width="100%" border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

Part Number</TH>

Description</TH>

Qty</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle>

97365821</TD>

Solenoid, Starter Motor</TD>

1</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer came through on the starter problem. It was on back order from Izusoo. (I don't think I spelled it correctly). I was ready to leave on a trip and they had no Idea of when it would come in, soooo they took one off a new truck on the lot to put on mine
Turned out that the top ear on the starter snapped off letting the starter drop just enough to keep the starter gear from catching the flywheel.
My dealer is on the Ball. Why should I ever buy anywhere else when they treat me so well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts