Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any more 6.5 uses gone to 18:1??? I am alone here with my truck, not being able to compare my findings. Just wondering if anyone else out there has taken the jump into the unkown like I have.

CowRacer out there? He ever make it with his??? And I am waiting on CR to make some headway too. Come on guys, go low compression and high boost, its the only way):h

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well IIRC John Kennedy, Jim Bigley, Lee Swanger, and a couple others started the trend to 18:1... D. Cam has had a 18:1 6.5 and I had a 18:1 6.5 in the past as well. As of now I have a 19:1 6.2 and a buddy of mine has a 18:1 6.5. Both with Holset turbo's for nearly 2 yrs now... Heavily fueled and towing big loads too.

Maybe a more fitting question about uniqueness would be who has splayed mains? I know JK's '96 was the pioneer, Ronnie Joe has them now, and John8662 is in the process of getting his going.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe a more fitting question about uniqueness would be who has splayed mains? I know JK's '96 was the pioneer, Ronnie Joe has them now, and John8662 is in the process of getting his going.
Not too sure that splayed mains are the key to keeping it together. Look at CR's block, there is more there than just a failed crank. My buddies 1600 HP Camaro has a Merlin Block that is not splayed and it is three years old with TONS of passes at the 1/4 mile and not problems

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Not too sure that splayed mains are the key to keeping it together. Look at CR's block, there is more there than just a failed crank. My buddies 1600 HP Camaro has a Merlin Block that is not splayed and it is three years old with TONS of passes at the 1/4 mile and not problems
"Merlin" is the key word there. He didn't START with a Crack-o-Matic. ;)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Any more 6.5 uses gone to 18:1??? I am alone here with my truck, not being able to compare my findings. Just wondering if anyone else out there has taken the jump into the unkown like I have.

CowRacer out there? He ever make it with his??? And I am waiting on CR to make some headway too. Come on guys, go low compression and high boost, its the only way):h
18:1....maybe with correcting for blow-by....):h

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
The "396 Interceptor" is indeed up and running sweetly. I/C is in the works, and it will be mounted the way God and nature intended. IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR.

Then I need to look into one of those HX-35 turbos...

Tim

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Chicago, the Merlin's probably not pullin' a 25,000+ lb load up a big hill either. (Not that it couldn't, mind you!) I've see a few broken blocks in my TA/FC days.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The "396 Interceptor" is indeed up and running sweetly. I/C is in the works, and it will be mounted the way God and nature intended. IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR.

Then I need to look into one of those HX-35 turbos...

Tim
Keep us up to date with lots of photos. I'd entertain the idea of one behind the grille!

Thanks,
SnowDrift

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yes don't forget about me, i'm still here, just playiing the waiting game. I think i just got a bum rap from a machinist that may have been in to much of a hurry, will probably never know for sure.

The real question here will be with a fully modded motor how much fuel & boost will the 6.5 handle? Me thinks mine was near its limit in both departments.

Chicago when your doing 70 MPH on flat ground once the engine has leveled out what is your boost? Just normal cruising i didn't drop below 10 psi post IC doing 70 MPH @ 2450 rpm. This post prompted me to look at a file from Sept 3rd, 2 days before i went boom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No doubt I cann't be much help as when I bought my truck I overhauled the engine and went to 18:1 from the first day so I cann't compare to stock compression. Now flat road, no wind; 70 [email protected]. When you slam it to the floor the boost pegs on 15lbs. Loaded going up hills same with pyro going up to 1000. Egt's not a problem unless you lug the dog out of it. Pyro is pre-turbo. Don't know how long it will last. Turbo has no waste gate....

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chicago when your doing 70 MPH on flat ground once the engine has leveled out what is your boost? Just normal cruising i didn't drop below 10 psi post IC doing 70 MPH @ 2450 rpm. This post prompted me to look at a file from Sept 3rd, 2 days before i went boom.
At 70 MPH on flat ground I am at 10-12 psi, and it is a loud whistle from the turbo, very anoying actually. At 55 MPH, I am at about 7-8 psi.

When driving and I put it to the wood, I hit 23 psi and then one overdrive hits, I am at 25-26, like in the video I posted, you can hear when overdrive locks up and the blurry little needle hits 25 psi.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Maybe i missed it somewhere but where are you reading boost from, pre-or post IC. I could hit just over 23 PSI post IC, dunno what the drop is across the IC but guessing 2 PSI. To bad mines down, can hardly wait to start comparing numbers again.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe i missed it somewhere but where are you reading boost from, pre-or post IC. I could hit just over 23 PSI post IC, dunno what the drop is across the IC but guessing 2 PSI. To bad mines down, can hardly wait to start comparing numbers again.
I read mine at the manifold, post IC and I am sure that I have a big drop considering the size of my IC. With a trailer or just going up a hill, I can peak another 2-3 PSI over 25 so I have seen boost at 28 PSI when overdrive kicks in. Kinda scary.:ro)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Someday I'll have a 18:1. I have 3 599's just needing to be checked and rebuilt. One of them will be 18:1 someday.

Someone on here had some 18:1 pistons for sale...but I cant remember who. I'm still saving up....but its 1 step forward 2 back, if ya know what i mean.

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
My only gripe is that this is Hands-Down, No BullSh!t, the hardest starting vehicle I have ever owned. Literally 5-8 staring attemps before any serious signs of life on cold days. You can actually hear the cylinders coming on-line one by one. (I need a 5/8ths majority to sustain)

Then she smokes like 40 goin' west! We have air monitors (Particulate and opacity) near the parking lot and I swear, I can peg them just getting her going.

Yes, my glow system is up to par. Checked it out, front to back. I Got RonnieJoe's (from the other forum) Glow Plug mod coming the next time it aint raining on a weekend and my sons car dont need worked on.

Tim

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine starts just like my old standard compression engine did. On below zero days, I cycle the glow plugs twice and then crank it over for 10 seconds and it smokes for about 20 seconds and then it is fine.

At about 10 F days and above, i can get 7 out of 8 on the first crank and in another 10 seconds, that seventh cylinder has fired.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I talked to a guy at peninsular that had a 94 with 18:1 and he said his was a bear to start as well, but also said his never started good from day one so who knows.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Mine fired up fine once the glow time was increased to about 30 seconds... but then again now that i'm thinking after writing i never did get to run that puppy when it got cold out...:(

·
Registered
297 Posts
My only gripe is that this is Hands-Down, No BullSh!t, the hardest starting vehicle I have ever owned. Literally 5-8 staring attemps before any serious signs of life on cold days. You can actually hear the cylinders coming on-line one by one. (I need a 5/8ths majority to sustain)

Then she smokes like 40 goin' west! We have air monitors (Particulate and opacity) near the parking lot and I swear, I can peg them just getting her going.

Yes, my glow system is up to par. Checked it out, front to back. I Got RonnieJoe's (from the other forum) Glow Plug mod coming the next time it aint raining on a weekend and my sons car dont need worked on.

Tim
Mine starts easier now than it ever has. On cold days, I give it about 10 seconds of manual pre-glow, then key on automatic glow cycle, cranks less than a complete revolution and fires up with NO SMOKE!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts