Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it is snowing like h*ll in the north east, cold as h*ll in mid america, and I am asking about heat problems! But it has been mild in southern California and in Florida. Having read that towing in 70 degree weather causes problems with the 05 LLY engines, I am wondering if the LBZ is at least able to handle that temperature?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
So far mine is "cool", but its been cool up here, nothing over 40 since October, most of the time 20's. I have pulled my GN loaded with my buddy Stroker, puked an injector, on the freeway, winter front on, 70 mph, i would guess about 13k between trailer and load, truck never got over 210 non did the fan run on "high". I know my 05 would have been crying. I've got a trip in mid April to see the mouse with the fifth wheel, temps should be warm by then and I'll be about 24k GCW at that time. Hope its fixed cause this one runs a lot like my 01...strong.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Got my LBZ Truck back in December but towed the camper on a warm day ( 65 degrees) up some good sized mountains 7% grades for about 6 miles. The camper did not weigh much, but the temp gauge only got up to about 195 to 200. I am sure a bigger load would have produced more heat. I think the jury will be out on the LBZ until we can get some hot weather this summer. Being that the LBZ is new and most people got thiers in the fall and winter no one but southerners in the southeast and southwest have had any hot days.

PeteDrez you live in a location that should have some high temperatures this summer. I have been in that area before on vacation and have encountered some hot days there.

Blizzardplowman I know of alot of people in New England would like to have your plow rig right now. Looks like they had a blizzard on thier hands.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BIGR, you are so right. Come July/August we will have our share of high 90's if not a triple digit day or two. So I will know the answer in 5 months first hand. I am just trying to get a hint of what my future holds.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I know, it is snowing like h*ll in the north east, cold as h*ll in mid america, and I am asking about heat problems! But it has been mild in southern California and in Florida. Having read that towing in 70 degree weather causes problems with the 05 LLY engines, I am wondering if the LBZ is at least able to handle that temperature?
Can't help you with the LBZ temps, but I just gotta chime in here about the So. Calif. temps being mild.

This afternoon, it was 95 degrees in inland Orange County! It's February for God sake! WTF!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Midnight here in "sunny" central Fl and it's about 36 and dropping

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had no idea there were problems with the LLY. If I had any idea that was possible I wouldn't have bought a Chevy this time. I will be towing a 40' trailer with a 24 foot deckboat and a sea doo through the scorching desert up and down grades for about 4.5 hours non stop every other weekend. July and August it gets upwards of 120 degrees and even hotter on the asphalt. I will report back at that time if there are any problems.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Blizzardplowman I know of alot of people in New England would like to have your plow rig right now. Looks like they had a blizzard on thier hands.
I wish I had sanow like that here..been a dry month

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a LBZ cc LB and pulled my 7200# flatbed with a 11,000# tractor up the grapevine at around 60-65 mph temps never got above 210. It was about 75 degrees out and I had my foot to the radiator with 35" tires. This LBZ seems to be the best duramax yet.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have towed constantly since I got mine in Nov,(over 31,000) now. I believe the warmest I have towed in was up the long grade at Indio,Ca. In the 80's temp stayed around 200*. Tranny seemed a little warmer than normal, but not to bad.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
While plowing and running around with the winter front(I plow with it on) it seems to run the same temps as my LB7........we shall see come summer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had no idea there were problems with the LLY. If I had any idea that was possible I wouldn't have bought a Chevy this time.
Chill out, man! :chillpill

Just because someone asks a question about it overhetaing doesn't mean it will. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dads LLY that got bought back had overheating problems at 60 degrees on one nasty Mountainside we pull.The LBz runs cooler for sure in winter towing than the LLY.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm

I have a LBZ cc LB and pulled my 7200# flatbed with a 11,000# tractor up the grapevine at around 60-65 mph temps never got above 210. It was about 75 degrees out and I had my foot to the radiator with 35" tires. This LBZ seems to be the best duramax yet.
If the LBZ gauges are like the rest of the Dmax trucks (and I am sure they are) then moving up to 210* on the gauge has me concerned now about the LBZ. Odds are that actual ECT was much higher.......

·
Registered
167 Posts
My LLY runs darn near 200 on the guage empty on flat ground....:mad:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Get a grip , there is nothing to indicate a LBZ temp problem yet! 210 pulling the grapevine with a 11000 load is something I would kill for.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
If the LBZ gauges are like the rest of the Dmax trucks (and I am sure they are) then moving up to 210* on the gauge has me concerned now about the LBZ. Odds are that actual ECT was much higher.......

Tx Ive always found that my gauge reads higher than actual.:confused:

My needle always points EXACTLY at 210 in the summer, even towing, yet the highest temperature ive seen towing in teh hot summer, with a Tech 2 is 209 degrees. Unloaded it alwasy ran 180-190, yet the gauge never moved from 210...

Ben

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I agree ben....although I got my attitude to read 212 before and the needle was at 210. genneraly it ran around 200 and still said 210

I do like how the LBZ fan is. Sealed really well to the shoud. Maybe you LLY overheaters should try one and see what if anything it does?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts