on April 10th?

We would meet at:

Dyno Works

346 South I st.
San Bernardino CA 92410

Get some pulls in at $45 for three, then caravan to:

California Speedway

9300 Cherry Avenue, Fontana

For $20, you will get about 3 quarter mile passes.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
McRat

Good thought, but i don't think there will be enough time for both. It took better part of the day to do 20 trucks(not including multi runs by some of the guys). I suggest a drag day or another dyno day. I am leaning towards a drag day only. I would like to do a get together every tree months for either, mix them up, don't bore the guys with the same old thing. Maybe even a dinner from time to time where we can all lie to each other.
I am open to all thoughts and ideas. I don't need to run these things or be in charge; I put together the dyno day because i thought us west coast guys needed a getogether and no one else did it. I loved it, and i heard great feed back from a lot of you guys. We can bring in more vendors to these events because we pack some punch as customers. I have a lot of ideas and want some input from all you guys. Tell me what you guys want and i will try and make it happen.

mike

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try to locate a scale between the two sites, so we can stop and weigh in.

To race at California Speedway (Street Legal Drag Event), you will need the following:

$20

A SNELL-rated helmet if you are going to hit 13.99 or quicker

Proof of insurance

Proof of registration

Long pants.

Shirt with sleeves. (no a-frames)

Shoes.

Balls.

For first timers, I will write up a "primer" to explain how to run the 1/4 at an NHRA track. You CAN run a passenger if you are slower than 13.99. I will be more than happy to "ride along" with first timers if time permits.

If I get 10 people interested in the next 10 days, I'll reserve the dyno slot, and post the drag primer.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike L. said:
McRat

Good thought, but i don't think there will be enough time for both. It took better part of the day to do 20 trucks(not including multi runs by some of the guys). I suggest a drag day or another dyno day. I am leaning towards a drag day only. I would like to do a get together every tree months for either, mix them up, don't bore the guys with the same old thing. Maybe even a dinner from time to time where we can all lie to each other.
I am open to all thoughts and ideas. I don't need to run these things or be in charge; I put together the dyno day because i thought us west coast guys needed a getogether and no one else did it. I loved it, and i heard great feed back from a lot of you guys. We can bring in more vendors to these events because we pack some punch as customers. I have a lot of ideas and want some input from all you guys. Tell me what you guys want and i will try and make it happen.

mike

This dyno shop is flexible, and some guys will not want to race. I would guess we can do 12 racers and another 12 dyno-only. Those who don't want to race will have to dyno after the racers. It takes 15-20min to dyno one truck. We would have to leave for the track by 1:00PM'ish.

Since it is night racing (till 11:00pm), we would have time for both.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case there is interest, I'll visit the dyno shop tomorrow and check it out.

I'm hoping that the dragstrip will not be crowded because it is the Sat before Easter, and a lot of people will be going out of town. If it is NOT crowded, not only will we get a bunch of passes, people can arrive late and still race.

See, at Cal Speedway they only issue 400 tech cards, so you must get in line early. First race is at 4:00pm, but you want to be there before 2:00 (or earlier if it is REAL busy).

If it was going to be a Drag Only event, I would suggest Carlsbad, so you can get 12 passes or more on Saturday.

·
Registered
310 Posts
One thing that I'd like to suggest is that we use a Superflow dyno. I'm interested in doing a load type dyno rather than another Dynojet, so we can see the kind of torque numbers we'll produce under load.

Westech in Mira Loma has one (Trippin spent an entire day there) and Skunkworks in Norco has one.

Soon, John Kennedy will be dynoing a ton of different boxes and combos, etc, and it would be nice to be able to compare apples to apples with the guy who will be providing a lot of info (to keep us from reinventing the wheel) and using a dyno which will properly load down a diesel for real world numbers (sounds like how it works to me.)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I would be interested along with my buddy and his Dmax

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Dyno drag and KEG BEER would be a great combo. If you have guns too that would be all the much better. I could probably pick up some trashy women on the way.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
problemchild said:
Dyno drag and KEG BEER would be a great combo. If you have guns too that would be all the much better. I could probably pick up some trashy women on the way.

I live on a dairy that is being sold, 130 acres. If we could find a junk FORD truck, we could pull the tires off it and see who can tow it the fastest. Yes you could get sloppy drunk beforehand and do some cow tipping as halftime entertainment as well!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
problemchild said:
Although this is very interesting dont save a seat for me ...... Hope some more of them out'a sight power making ECM's show up ..... Can't wait to see the numbers on a real world "conservative" dyno like a load cell Superflow ....
Please every one go in for a Fuel injection check prior to the meet ....

Mac

·
Registered
310 Posts
Although you are being your usual self and merely poking what you consider to be fun, I do have an appt to take my truck in for warranty repairs tomorrow morning.

Somewhere, a truck equipped with only the Juice module that I have, put down over 450hp on a superflow. I posted 10hp less with that module, stacked with a Quad 215 and propane, so something is definitely wrong with my truck, since there really is no skill involved in adding these mods.

In regards to ECMs, from what I saw at the LA dyno event, the TTS ECM is very smooth and quiet. I have no doubts that people have put down right near 500hp with just his ECM, provided there isn't something else holding it back.

I don't think the Superflow is conservative, I think they may be more accurate in measuring a diesel engine from what I've been seeing. You might very well put down 550hp and 1100 or 1200ft-lbs with your truck on a Superflow.

Or you might have to pull the tranny again, who knows....

Hey, this is kinda fun!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A load type dyno probably makes more sense with a 7000lb turbo diesel, because the static load on a dynojet is about 2500lb.

BUT... Is it really different? Hmmm... Anyone with an answer to that? Not everything always makes sense. (See ProblemChild threads for an example.
)

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

I welded the tranny in , I'm shipping the entire truck via our friend Broker, to Suncoast if it should need to come out ....I highly doubt that will be neccesary .... Someday,maybe, you'll hear the story straight,straight from the source ... Mean while it makes for fun reading ....

So far rock solid !!!!!! Seems to get my HP TQ to the ground ....

I hope your avoiding FatCats service department with ~'Dear Sir, my truck is WEAK it doesn't compare power wise, that would be dyno power wise, to the gentlemen's that run in CT on similar equipment ....'

On the dyno issue all I'm saying 'tis' I've seen a lot of "double talk" on the subject as yourself has, if you really think back, not to long ago and recently ...

I hope you guys have a blast, I truly wish I could be there .... To bust your n**s in person would be worth the trip indeed indeed ...

Mac

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey, I was out in CT for 10 days driving a POS Ford Escape. You knew I was out here, but didn't want to get together for a drink...

Talk about the perfect opportunity to bust my Peenuts... while I'm driving a Ford and paying the bar tab!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
socaldmax said:
Hey, I was out in CT for 10 days driving a POS Ford Escape. You knew I was out here, but didn't want to get together for a drink...

Talk about the perfect opportunity to bust my Peenuts... while I'm driving a Ford and paying the bar tab!

You're right I should have .... No excuse except for my stubbornness .....

Mac

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Westech is $125 for 3 pulls regular pricing. That is approx double of what the other places are getting. But I did not ask about group rates.

I think I will pay them a visit.

I'm curious how much different the DynoJet reads from the SuperFlow. So I will try to tie down on both types in the next day or two. Maybe we can come up with a correlation between the two machines.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would hope that they'd come down to about $40 per 3 pulls if they can get a full day's worth of trucks there... if not, WOW!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Skunkz Racing" is one of my customers. Their dyno is only for internal use. I can probably use it, but they don't do "dyno days" so I'm told.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I asked them about a group rate today and they were working on putting something together for me. I don't think both of us need to pursue the same thing. You go ahead, and count me in for the event when all the details are settled.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts