Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Took Advantage Of Some Good Weather Over The Weekend And Did Afew Things To My 84 6.2, One Was To Replace A Couple Of Bad Glow Plugs. Unfortuntly One Broke The Hex On It Just Seems To Spin. Any Ideas On How To Change ? It Still Is Runnable As The Plug Is Still In And Tight. Truck Will Be Comeing Off The Road In The Spring, Should I Just Wait?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Hmmm. Not sure how I would go about that. I guess if you're going to be doing engine work on it, I would just wait until then and drill (?) it out. I've never had one break like that. I've had them expand inside the cylinder so you can't get them out. I'm not sure how to deal with that either. My truck has one bad glow plug in it that I couldn't get out, it'll be in there until somebody explains to me just exactly how I should go about removing it. Doesn't affect anything so long as it's just one.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Search over on the 6.5 forum, had this happen to me and other people have had it happen as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the ones with carbon on them too, I just soaked them good with WD40 and let that set for a while, it seems to soften up the carbon a little then with a pair of vise-grips pull stright out while twisting . They seem to come right out like that

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH-YEA, thanks Matt, will do!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Luckely I was able to drill the center and use an easy out but others were not as lucky. I think one reason it was easy for me is that I was pulling the heads off anyway, so I could do it on the bench. Good luck.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
I've had them expand inside the cylinder so you can't get them out. I'm not sure how to deal with that either. My truck has one bad glow plug in it that I couldn't get out, it'll be in there until somebody explains to me just exactly how I should go about removing it. Doesn't affect anything so long as it's just one.
It could be just carbon deposit on the tip. usally a little in out action and twisting will knock it loose then you can pull out. try a good while on it before you give up, Ive had some that I thought was mushroomed but eventually they pulled out after a good while of trying.

if its really a mushroomed tip, then thats trouble. i think i read months ago you need to brake the tip off and go after it with some crazy magnet thing or pull the head and get er out. no easy way. I dont think ive heard any other wy to do it, will be nice if someone has one though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You sure it broke? The Hex and the threads are all one piece... When they mushroom a little and you try to take them out, the threads backout and disengage, but them they just spin. I suspect yours are just stuck in the hole and are spinning... They's not like spark plugs where the threads disengage and it falls in you hands....I would think if the Hex broke off at the threads, you would have a piece of it in your hands...but that;'s not what happened right?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When the hex head brakes the electical connector still holds it all together, it just depends if the treads backed out at all or not. If they did the tip is swelled, if the threads didn't move the hex head broke and it just spins on the electical prong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts