Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input about the hot shot biz. How are the d-max and the allisons holding up? and about what type of milage you are getting out of those trucks? Thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
dont do it man,stay away.theres no money in it.stop now!!.i dont need anymore compitition.lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sideswiper, Dont think the compitition thing will be a problem, the company I'm looking at runs mostly in Texas, La., Miss., and Ala. They haul mostly oilfield related equip. Pays 2.50 per loaded mile plus 20% fuel surcharge (25% when fuel was higher) I'm not looking to be a millionare but a good living. Thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
well i guess that will be ok,as long as your not looking to get rich.thats my job.hahahah

·
Registered
541 Posts
I haul hotshot and horse trailers and occasional rv's. I ran 94,000 miles last year on my 03 and did not work but about 9 months total. I had two sets of injectors put in and had to change the front diff (not sure why it went out but was full of metal and noisy), and a front hub bearing. The truck on 23,500 on it when I bought it in Nov 04 and it now has 127,900 miles. I love the way it pulls and the fuel mileage (depending on load) is 7.5 to 13.5 loaded and 17 -19 unloaded if I drive about 70-75 mph. I say unloaded because it is not empty. Unloaded the truck weighs 8500 lbs full of fuel, tool boxes, hitches and ready to go on the road so it never is completely empty.

I have all the trailers to pull that I want and have had all the loads I want when I want to hotshot with my 38 ft flatbed. I stay under 26,000 lbs for a variety of reasons.

I would like to get some of that oil field business though. I have my own DOT authority and TX DOT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy's thanks for the responses. Like I said , I'm researching the biz to see if will work for me and the $ is worth the trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts