Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one tried the 6-Gun yet? I am real curious. This is the info. I would be curious to hear about.

1. Ease of installation.

2. Dyno Figures.

3. Drivabillaty. Such as throttle response,low end and top end. Smoothness, cold starting,shifting firmness.

4. Any stats. monitored while driving/towing.

A. Fuel milage, exaust temp. transmission slipage,SES lights,

This might be a good product for the product review section. I noticed this section of the forum is very empty?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GMC-2002-Dmax,

I was watching as all of those discussions while they were taking place. It was very interesting. I am now wanting some feedback from real life users. Not factory reps, not vendors, that info. can be so jaded. If I had any quevos of my own I would have a unit fed-exed to my door. Just hoped to here some unbiased feedback before I parted with another hard earned 600.00 dollars.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Moto Head has one and has some comments on the 'banks dyno chart' topic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've got a six gun with the speed loader installed. Installation is a little more dificult than the others because the box is in the cab. The hardest part is running the wires through a slit in one of the gromets in the firewall. Everything else was easy. My truck was already set up for a pyro guage in the exhaust manifold. The upside is my electronics are in the cab out of the elements. I took the old Banks tunner off in about 5 minutes, and this one can be removed as easily with only a 7mm and pliers which I carry.(the pliers are for the control knob the 7mm is to take the lower dash panel off.) Dyno figures mean little to me, I've watched the debate going on. Power is more than my clutch can handle while towing. I think #3 will be about right for towing. The truck runs smooth and cold starts are no problem here in sunny SoCal. Fuel mileage is definately better with the tunner on.(if you keep you foot out of it). 21.7 MPG is my record with a different Banks tunner. The tuner limits pyro temp. so max is about 1300(remember I don't tow on #6). In the #6 position with the speed loader it produces what I'd consider serious power. In 6th gear in the rain at about 55mph if I wood it, when the boost hits it can break the back end loose. Remember I said in the rain, but I've seen hot rods that wouldn't do that. Serious torque from this laymans perspective. I can definately feel more low end torque than stock. (BTW I don't lug up grades in 6th even though the truck can, cause I want my tranny to last.) Alot has been said about Banks but my experience has been an excellent one as far as dealing with them. The only guy who wasn't sure about something went and got an installation tech. off the floor to answer my question. As far as fuel pressure goes I believe the only setting that raises rail pressure is #6 with the speed loader installed (but I could be wrong). All in all I'm very pleased with the unit for towing/daily driving. Edited by: MOTO HEAD

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm a 42 year old motocrosser and I've got 8 and 10 year old MXers coming up. I race over 40 expert here in SoCal so I can still get around ok. My kids tell me I'm a legend in my own mind.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My brother has the CRF 450 Honda also. Had to add a fly wheel to be able to effectively ride it in the So Cal desert. I've have been on it a couple of times, awesome bike. Stuck on my clunker XR600 for now.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MOTO HEAD,

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Banks is worthy of a try. What type of gauges does the unit except? Could you plug in an attitude?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know if it could use other guages, mine are Banks. If the attitude plugs in to the obd2 port under the dash I supose you could. See if Peter T will come back up or private message him. He's a very nice guy and can answer your technical questions.

Hey OC_DMAX do you work in El Segundo.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey OC_DMAX do you work in El Segundo

In the Raytheon campus facility near El Segundo and Sepulveda Blvds

·
Registered
103 Posts
I work at Boeing off of Nash and Imperial, small world.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
MOTO HEAD said:
I don't know if it could use other guages, mine are Banks. If the attitude plugs in to the obd2 port under the dash I supose you could. See if Peter T will come back up or private message him. He's a very nice guy and can answer your technical questions.

Hey OC_DMAX do you work in El Segundo.

The Attitude plugs into the Edge Juice Box .... There is a led for the pyro connection out of the Edge box itself for EGT probe connection from manifold or turbo which ever you selected .... Boost signal comes from ECM ...

Mac

·
Registered
59 Posts
Moto Head; How is the drivablity off idle and at low speed? how much smoke? I use my truck on the farm and it sees alot of idling thru the feilds and low rpm pulling trailers around.

Thanks.

Robert

01 Dmax 4X4 6 spped

·
Registered
994 Posts
I work at Boeing off of Nash and Imperial, small world

A number of years ago when we were all Hughes, I had an office in R7 at Nash/Imperial. Down in the EO campus now at Nash /El Segundo (E1 building). Ran into another DMAX owner on The Diesel Page (Kent Tuttle) and it turned out he works about 100 yards down the A corridor in E1.

Anyway, if you have some free time on Feb 21, bring your truck and Bank Six Gun to the LA Dyno event that Mike L is setting up. The event will be near the 91/110 Freeway intersection. I'd imagine a number of people here would like to know how it performs.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3656&PN=1

Later,

Alan

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks for the write-up motohead, I've been looking forward to one for a long time..

Have you compared it to the Juice by any chance? If so, which is stronger at low RPM's and by how much?

By looking at the dyno charts I'm hoping it will make the truck pull similar to a cummins out of the basement.. Am I dreaming, or is it anywhere near that big of an improvement?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry Camstyn never run a juice, and never driven a Cummins.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mike,

Kent Tuttle lives in La Verne, he may come to the dyno day.

I think he does have a white truck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts