Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is specific to Canadian drivers, so I hope the thread doesn't get removed because it's another one discussing overheating LLY's, so.....

I've read tons of comments regarding the LLY's knack for overheating, but I don't recall seeing any of those guys being in Canada, aside from a vendor, Max Power; sorry if I missed any, but there’s a TON of threads to read. Since I'm going to be buying an 03 or 04 / 04.5 in the next few months, this is a large part of my consideration.

Any Canadians (preferably in AB, SK, or MB) who've had an overheating LLY, please reply to this thread, and let me know the details (your truck set-up, where, what grade, load being towed, outside air temp, wind speed, etc, etc).

Thanks, and keep the great info coming!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brian

See my profile and signature for location and truck.

I have a truck that would overheat if I don't back out of the accelerator. The worst I have let it get to is 243f on the edge additude and I'm sure I could force it and be at the side of the road letting it cool off. This is the exception not the rule.

I have hauled on mostly flat country and been 30,000 lbs GCVW in 28-30c temps with out worrying. It is the long hills or the big wind that cause me to watch the guages closely. When I have had the most problems is in big wind at 0-5c where the air passing thru the stack is cool enough to keep the fan clutch from engaging. Once the fan does engage it cools down so fast that it doesn't have any benifit to cooling the engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, RVC.

My loads won't be nearly what yours are (I'll have a 9200# truck with a 7500# trailer = 16700# max), plus I don't have the 'hills' here in SK, though the wind can be a pain.

Keep the posts coming....the more info I have, the better decision I can make.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine's been great

Hauled my Camper up some steep hills in the Okanagan last summer full speed near 35 C 95 F degrees, Fan hardly runs til I slow down.

Fan does run on freeway flats when I slow down or stop, that makes sense because there's no air.

I think you'd have to push it pretty hard to achieve overheat.

Some guys want it to haul max rated loads, highly wind resistant, at max legal grade at full speed in high ambient temps against the wind with full AC on, and who knows if they have tow/haul engaged, and still not overheat- :D

Well, apparently, if you want all that you can have it by adding an extra rad underneath - heretofore referred to as V2 mod.

·
Registered
625 Posts
...and I bet there are no ever heaters in Alaska either.
Mine stays nice and cool all winter long:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have an o4.5 lly tow approximately a 5000 lb boat. Fan engaged last year on the infamous coquihalla but held temps in check. However I do feel that with more weight and a heavier right foot I may have had a problem. I did not like the way the temperature guage started to climb once I reached a certain point. Hence my misgivings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find with mine that technically it doesn't overheat but the fan engages way too much. I pull about a 10000 lb 5th wheeler and when the temp gets to about 24-25 the fan kicks in making a bunch of noise and loss of power. I talked to GM and of course I was the first one to mention it to them. They now say that they will install the '06 air box if I want it but up here in Canada the filter costs $92.50.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You can look in my sig for mods. I pulled a 32.5 foot 5th wheel last summer to Cypress Hills. I would have been able to get mine to overheat if I did not back out of the throttle on the long uphill grade. It was about +32C that day with a stiff wind (go figure in Southern Sask). I have not had any other problems pulling the 5er other than that time. I had the Predator on 65 and was in tow/haul mode. I had the CAI installed at the time and the bug screen on the front taken off to aid in airflow. If I am not pulling up a long steep grade in very hot weather, it will not overheat. I am not too concerned at this point, especially knowing that there are a couple of potential solutions out there.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Tutts;1580772; said:
You can look in my sig for mods. I pulled a 32.5 foot 5th wheel last summer to Cypress Hills. I would have been able to get mine to overheat if I did not back out of the throttle on the long uphill grade. It was about +32C that day with a stiff wind (go figure in Southern Sask). I have not had any other problems pulling the 5er other than that time. I had the Predator on 65 and was in tow/haul mode. I had the CAI installed at the time and the bug screen on the front taken off to aid in airflow. If I am not pulling up a long steep grade in very hot weather, it will not overheat. I am not too concerned at this point, especially knowing that there are a couple of potential solutions out there.
I thought you aren't supposed to pull that heavy in 65???? Only in 40... Maybe this was your problem in this case?? Just a thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I Never OH in Prince George B.C.but now that I am on Van Island, it is very hot in the valley in the summer. I have to pull over all the time to cool down when the OAT is 25C or above, and have had the Alarms go off when I was in 4X4 (not towing) climbing Nahmint Mt. 37+C. I have never had the Engine Overheat message appear but that is because I pull over when when the first alarm comes on or when I feel the truck is to hot. I have had this happen 100% stock, and also with the new 06 air box. I have the AFE intake as well and that seems better than the 06 but am leaving the 06 for warranty purposes. Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
most dealers avoid this bulletin like the plague, but guess what, warranty will pay, enjoy!

Subject:Engine Overheats or Runs Hot in High Ambient Temperature When Towing or Hauling on Long Inclines (Install 2006 Air Cleaner Assembly) #06-06-04-036C - (09/12/2006)

Models:2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Series
2004-2005 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Series
Built From January 1, 2004 Through 2005 End of Production
with 6.6L Engine (VIN 2 -- RPO LLY)

This bulletin is being revised to add an illustration to step 11 in the procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-04-036B (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1861548&pubid=1058&evc=sm#ss1-1861548">Condition

Some customers may comment that while towing a trailer, or if the vehicle is loaded on a long upgrade climb and high ambient temperatures, the Driver Information Center states Engine Coolant Hot, the engine overheats and there is a loss of power and air conditioning.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1861548&pubid=1058&evc=sm#ss2-1861548">Cause

This condition may be caused by any of the following possibilities:
• Installation of an aftermarket grille.
• A plugged charge air cooler.
• Fan clutch not operating properly.
• Drive belt slip.
• An overfilled transmission.
• Turbocharger not operating properly.
• A plugged air filter.​
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1861548&pubid=1058&evc=sm#ss3-1861548">Correction

Inspect the following areas FIRST.
• Inspect for changes to the air intake area or for aftermarket grille accessories. Make sure all air dams are in place and not modified. Remove any aftermarket grille or accessories that may restrict air flow.
• Visually inspect the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) to insure that it is not plugged externally. Use the Special Tool J 46091 to ensure that all pipe connections are properly sealed and the CAC does not have a leak.
• Monitor the fan clutch operation and complete SI Diagnostics for Fan Clutch Diagnosis. If the fan seems to be cycling on and off when the engine RPMs are above 2800, this could indicate a belt slip condition.
• Monitor the actual and desired turbo vane position to verify that the turbocharger is performing properly.
• Inspect the transmission fluid level. An overfilled transmission can add to heat levels in the cooling system.
• Inspect the air induction system. Ensure that the filter is in good condition and is properly installed.​
If no issues were found after the above inspections, install a 2006 air cleaner system using the following procedure.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
No Over Heat

I have run all over the Prairies, Down East, and into Arizona. I tow a 11,000 lbs 5er, GCVW about 18,500.

I guess I could stand on it til it want bang.

But I tend manage the RPMs when the heat starts to come up. I don't lug the engine (1600 or so), ease into it until the fan locks up and the temps start to fall, then get to work with it. It seems to pull forever at at 3000 RPM at 80 KM (50MPH) in 3rd. Have also done the same at 115 KM (70 MPH) in 4th with no problems. Don't generally pull the trailer any faster than 70 MPH. I cruise across the Plains or Deserts, but I control the gear selection on the hard pulls - wind or hills, and keep the engine RPMs high rather than low.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
X-Treme;1581223; said:
I thought you aren't supposed to pull that heavy in 65???? Only in 40... Maybe this was your problem in this case?? Just a thought.
You are right, you are supposed to use 40, but I don't think that is the problem. I watched the EGT's, that was my concern on the higher hp setting. I am going to tow in 40 this summer and see if there is a difference, but I doubt it. The higher settings will allow the EGT to climb higher, and the tranny is also a concern. The company tells you to tow only in 40 to cover their a$$, as no tranny damage should happen at that setting. I am not really complaining about it, as it only happens when the truck is working extremely hard in the heat, even though I don't think it should overheat at all. Bottom line, I know what it takes to get it hot, and I just back out of it if it happens.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi everyone from here in Winnipeg. We took a trip out to BC last year at the end of July into early August during the hot spell where the temps in BC during the day were 35 - 38 degrees celsius. We were pulling a 27' Jayflight travel trailer wieghing in at about 7000 lbs with all the gear and 4 mountain bikes on the back of the trailer. During the travel from Lake Louise, AB to Kelowna, BC, I was running with the 40 setting on the Predator. The truck run great but with a lot of fan anytime we went up any type of hill or mountain. Going through the rockies that darn fan was on the whole way up the hills and of course as soon as you reach the summit, it dissappeared on the way down. The only gauge I have is the factory one which of course never went over 102 or 103 degrees according to the needle. There was only one time on the whole trip where we had to pull over. We decided to take 97C from Kelowna to Merrit to get back on the Coquihalla. Wow, what a climb. I think it was about a 7-9% grade, not kidding for about 25 km's and I was pushing it very hard, maintaining 100 km/hr for about the first 15 os so km's. Outside temp was down to about 15-19 degrees in the late evening, between 9-10 pm. I kept an eye on both gauges, engine and trans and as we hit some of the 8-9% grades, if not higher. It was hard to tell in the dark but the truck was really working and I noticed the trans. temp climbing actually pretty fast so I slowed down some and at one point we were down to 50 km/hr and the trans. temp message came up on the display indicating "trans. temp Hot" so we slowed down to about 20-30 km/hr but that didn't help and we started looking for somewhere to pull over and finally there appeared to be enough room by one of the baricades so we pulled over I let it cool down. I just kep the tranny in neutral and rheld the rpm's at about 1000 to 1100 and it took about 10 minutes but the tranny cooled right down so off we went for the other 5 or so km's. This mountain climb I've heard has claimed many engines and trans. but the Allison held.
I didn't use the T/H feature at all during the trip and I'm not sure if it would have made a difference or not because the Dmax always had the power to climb.
During our travel through SK and AB, the fan would come on here and there whether we were on the flats or climbing a small hill but the gauge never went over the 102-103 point during our 3 week trip. I plan on installing a temp gauge before the summer travelling because I'm very curious to see what the real engine temps are but haven't decided where to put it yet.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Just all the more proof that all LLys can overheat in the right conditions.

WAKE UP GM!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Turbobruce;1583241; said:
WAKE UP GM!!!!!!
They did. It's called the 06 LLY/LBZ!! The proper thing to do would be to give extra $$ trade $$ when an overheater is being traded in. Would save alot of BS for both the customers & GM. LLY Overheater Loyalty Program is what I would call it.

JMHO.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey r04dmax.. the tow haul option isnt for more towin power. Its to lock the the torque converter when the truck shifts so you dont spin the **** out of the transmission and make it heat up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but im pretty sure this would have solved your tranny heat prob going up the hills.

I live in alberta, travel all over, never had a problem with heating up. Tranny has never been warmer than middle of the range on the gauge and engine temp has never gone above normal. This is according to stock gauges though. Do the stock gauges read good enough to know whether you have a problem or not?

Heaviest I have towed is an 18 foot enclosed with 2 9000# axles. Not sure the weight of the trailer, had about 1000# in it. Had my edge on stage 2 and I was rodding on it pretty good around edmonton. Ambient temps were around 20 C. Never saw anything out of normal.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Canadian

I use the tow/haul ANY time the trailer is on the truck. As stated above, less convertor slip, less heat.

I think the book says T/H locks the convertor in 2nd through 5th. Then you can run at about 45 MPH (75 KMs) part throttle, or 65 MPH (102KMs) full throttle without the converter changing torque to heat. Lastly the grade braking works better on the downhill side in T/H mode.

Try it, I think you will like it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hauled 13000 pound 5er over the coquhalla and connector twice so far with no OH problems. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ya, but what was the OAT? Wait for 35C and try to go over the Coq without OH! You will then realize what a piece of garbage you have. Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts