Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there is any biodiesel home brewers on this site? What if any problems have you had using bio diesel from home brew?

Im looking at starting to make my own using WVO and methoxide to form biodiesel so whats everyones thoughts?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm in the process of working out a deal with the local chick-fil-a. They use only peanut oil. Finding a good source for oil is the hardest part IMHO. Once i get the oil sucured the fun can start.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do either of you have your tank setups already built? Im just curious how all this works, do you test your oil to make sure its going to be ok before making a batch?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys im really confused, I keep reading about WVO, is this where you just run straight WVO in your tank???

Also when you make home biodiesel and you use WVO and mix it with Methoxide, is this safe to run straight in our motors? without worry? from what i have been reading about taking the WVO and methoxide together you dont have to do anything special to the fuel system or motor?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've got most of the pieces to build an appleseed processor, but havent realy commited to it yet. I'm waiting on a reliable source for wvo. Got my plans free of the internet, but they sell kits. Dont know much about running straight wvo, but i do know it has to be heated in cool weather, and you have to keep a seperate tank seeing as how you need diesel to start the engine. I think.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, you can run straight WVO in your truck.

However, there are some things required.
  1. WVO should be heated
  2. WVO must be filtered and dewatered
There are numerous ways to accomplish the above, but they must be accomplished.

How hot? I know of some people who only keep it above gel point (around 60F depending on your type of oil). There are others who would never put oil below 160F through their IP, stating anything lower will cause coking. Jury is still out on both theories.

Water will kill your IP, especially on a 6.5. The fuel is used for lube in the IP and water is a poor lubricant. If you convert a 6.5 you really need atwo tank system and to move the PMD.

I enjoy this as a hobby. You can expect to tinker with the system on a regular basis. If you are considering it for financial reasons you should know it does take some work.

This was a very brief intro to WVO. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you can run straight WVO in your truck.

However, there are some things required.
  1. WVO should be heated
  2. WVO must be filtered and dewatered
There are numerous ways to accomplish the above, but they must be accomplished.

How hot? I know of some people who only keep it above gel point (around 60F depending on your type of oil). There are others who would never put oil below 160F through their IP, stating anything lower will cause coking. Jury is still out on both theories.

Water will kill your IP, especially on a 6.5. The fuel is used for lube in the IP and water is a poor lubricant. If you convert a 6.5 you really need atwo tank system and to move the PMD.

I enjoy this as a hobby. You can expect to tinker with the system on a regular basis. If you are considering it for financial reasons you should know it does take some work.

This was a very brief intro to WVO. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Im not looking to run straight WVO that is not going to be an option. Im looking at the method that uses WVO,Lye,and methanol to produce bio fuel.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm in the process of working out a deal with the local chick-fil-a. They use only peanut oil. Finding a good source for oil is the hardest part IMHO. Once i get the oil sucured the fun can start.
Better do a titration on that oil. I have a local Chic-fil-A offer oil to me that titrated at 15+... Very bad and used oil. Not good for a beginner but could be handled with some advance processing (i.e. acid treatment)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Im not looking to run straight WVO that is not going to be an option. Im looking at the method that uses WVO,Lye,and methanol to produce bio fuel.
There are very few running straight vo in our high pressure common rail diesels but the good news is there are quite a few that are running biodiesel with homebrewed or store bought. IMHO, the most important thing is to do testing on any of the fuel you produce or bio that you buy.

There is plenty of reading here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/607108578

and here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Do you research before you dump a load of crap into your tank.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are very few running straight vo in our high pressure common rail diesels but the good news is there are quite a few that are running biodiesel with homebrewed or store bought. IMHO, the most important thing is to do testing on any of the fuel you produce or bio that you buy.

There is plenty of reading here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/607108578

and here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Do you research before you dump a load of crap into your tank.
Thanks I have read a TON of information in the last couple of days, i have also had a lot of good information found on www.biodieselcommunity.org

Any suggestions on building the processor? I want something that i can see the fuel in like plastic containers(like the ones a lof of bought kits use). Do you use one of appleseed styles ? Will i still be able to see the seperation once the fuel has seperated?

I have a good question on Titration, if i get a bunch of different oils from different places, do i have to titrate each one? Or can i mix all of it together to for about 30 gallons and titrate the entire batch?

Thanks,
JHF

·
Registered
191 Posts

Well thats a start. Kudos. BUT...............save the peanut oil for summer time use. Once turned into bio it has a high cloud and gel point (45-55F if running b100) and even at B50, it is good to only 35 to 40F. Try getting Soy or even Canola which is more cold tolerant. Good luck

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks. It will probably be summer before i get everything in motion anyways, but thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
First you said:

Ok guys im really confused, I keep reading about WVO, is this where you just run straight WVO in your tank???
Then you said:

I'm confused:confused:

·
Registered
543 Posts
see below

Thanks I have read a TON of information in the last couple of days, i have also had a lot of good information found on www.biodieselcommunity.org
Agreed - good info found there too.

Any suggestions on building the processor? I want something that i can see the fuel in like plastic containers(like the ones a lof of bought kits use). Do you use one of appleseed styles ? Will i still be able to see the seperation once the fuel has seperated?
Check out my garage - you will see what I run.
After I complete my process, I drain the plumbing into a clear sealable jar. I can observe the separation here.

I have a good question on Titration, if i get a bunch of different oils from different places, do i have to titrate each one? Or can i mix all of it together to for about 30 gallons and titrate the entire batch?
Yes. That is the way it should be done. However, I usually do a field titration on any of the oil I pickup so I know "about" what the titration is before mixing in my processor. For example, you have some pretty good oil (2.0) and some really BAD oil (15.0). I wouldn't want to use the bad oil because it would raise my overall titration number for the process batch. Conversly, if you have several different sources with good oil in the 0.5-4.5 range, I would mix it in the processor and take a final titration for my number.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
see below

Agreed - good info found there too.

Check out my garage - you will see what I run.
After I complete my process, I drain the plumbing into a clear sealable jar. I can observe the separation here.

Yes. That is the way it should be done. However, I usually do a field titration on any of the oil I pickup so I know "about" what the titration is before mixing in my processor. For example, you have some pretty good oil (2.0) and some really BAD oil (15.0). I wouldn't want to use the bad oil because it would raise my overall titration number for the process batch. Conversly, if you have several different sources with good oil in the 0.5-4.5 range, I would mix it in the processor and take a final titration for my number.

Thanks you have been a huge help in answering the questions that have plauged me !!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've been looking into doing the biodiesel thing also. I have all the stuff except my hot water tank to get going. I have run straight wvo in my truck. I just mix 2 gallons of wvo with 3 gallons of regular diesel. Mix it up in the 5 gallon can and then dump it into the tank. Of course, I only do this in the summer. WVO can be used year round, but you need a separate tank and fuel lines to use it. And it does need to be heated to 160 or more, or you could ruin your injector pump, coke up everything and generally make a mess. Plus you need to start the truck and shut it down on regular diesel.

The biodiesel can be run year round also, just in different percentages, depending on the temperatures in your part of the country. I personally wouldn't go over B20 in the winter up here by Lake Erie. But I've already used B100 in the summer with no issues or problems at all.

I don't know that initially anyone "saves" much by using this stuff. It takes some time to get into the groove of processing/making/refining the oil into something useful. But if you have the time and a good oil sourse, in the long run it'll pay for itself. It's better for the environmnent and better for the engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've been homebrewing for over 2 years now. Like already said, secure a realiable source of oil. To me that was the hardest thing. Another thing is not to rush it. Take your time with the processing. And do as much quality testing and assurance as you can.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anyone got a place that they prefer to get oil from? Like does mcds usually have better oil then say BK? what fast food rest have you had the most luck with ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Your large fast food franchises usually have a corporate plan for their WVO. Your best bet is local greasy spoon. Chinese places are known for their good quality oil.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts