Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of ya's got a secret recipe of beer anyones made? Me and a buddy just started to get into making beer(about 5-6 gallons at a time). Just bottled our first batch last night. Got to let it sit for 2 weeks til we can test it. Making it is pretty fun, just sucks you have to wait so long before it can be drank. My mouth is watering thinking of it.
:stirthepo

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Seemed like a fun hobby......but I dont have the pacience I dont think :lol:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Are you using a bought home brewing kit or something you made up yourself? I've thought about buying a kit and trying it several times, but have yet to actually do it.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Add vodka.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess you can say its a kit. But its not one of them cheap ones you find at the mall. It was roughly $150 for everything, and it can also be used as wine. The first batch we made was a box kit, just some;) thing to get started with. After that we're gonna buy a recipe book and start from scratch. That will be interesting.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I haven't been doing it since I moved into my new place about 3 years ago, but I was a pretty avid all-grain brewer for the past 10 years or so. Homebrewers Digest (hbd.org) is a pretty good place for information. They have a forum and a library of technical stuff and recipies. Have fun, it's a good hobby and with a little practice you can make some decent brews, especially when you step up to all-grain.

As for secret recipies, I have one for a sour mash red ale with rye that's pretty tasty and once made a christmas beer that I fermented inside of a 65 lb. supermax pumpkin. (actually couldn't believe that one came out).

The hardest part of homebrewing is a bad batch. I put about 7-8 hours into brew day, a few more hours in pre and post stuff, and then finally a few more bottling. (kegging really helps) Really hurts to pour 12 gallons down the drain one bottle at a time....

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
yesir , I do brew!!! I have some good simple reciepies and some good grain reciepies , Remember clenliness is next to Godliness, yeast is very picky and will not floculate unless it is loved and watched , as once heard "relax have a home brew" I have some 14 yr old mead Iv been sampling.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks minisub for that website, I'm gonna check it out. I'm always up to suggestions on home brew since I just started into it. And after this test kit I'm brewing I am going to try the all-grain.

And C.A.P you have 14 year old beer? Is that posibble ?:eek: But then again it probably just taste like Stag. :p:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Your local brew shop should have a few recipes on hand for you to try. One of my brew partners usually does the recipe hunting. We recently did a batch of Prickly Pear (cactus) fruit and Mesquite Honey mead, should be yummy!:beerchug: I'd get a spare fridge to do lagers in too! Someday I will finish putting the pieces of my allgrain together:rolleyes: , then I can make "real" beer.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Kurt, Get yourself a copy of Charlie Papazians "The New Complete Joy Of Homebrewing." Charlie gets a few things totally wrong (especially when you get into more advanced methods) but it is probably the book that has guided 99%+ of new homebrewers into the hobby and its pretty solid. Charlie is the biggest cheerleader of the hobby and that book will get you started well.

The Mead that CAP mentioned sure will be good after 14 years. I print on my mead bottle labels "Good from +1 yr to +100 years" (I got that from a medieval mead recipie I read).

Mead is a brew that is made totally with honey. Add fruit and its called melomel. Add malt and its called a braggot. The meads and melomels typically take about a year before they are drinkable and simply get better with age like a fine wine.

I made a batch of sparkling mead for my wedding toast instead of using champagne. My wife and I will be able to open a bottle of that batch on our anniversary for another 15 years (5 down....)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
yesir , I do brew!!! I have some good simple reciepies and some good grain reciepies , Remember clenliness is next to Godliness, yeast is very picky and will not floculate unless it is loved and watched , as once heard "relax have a home brew" I have some 14 yr old mead Iv been sampling.
IMO, that is the most important thing to remember. Clean everything and then clean it again.

I have not brewed a batch on a couple years, but at one time I had a basement full of the stuff. Simple recipies worked the best for me. I had a good recipie for stout, lager and a nice pilsner.

Take good notes so you can repeat your successes.

Bigger bottles mean less work. I used champagne bottles with great success. Too big a bottle = not getting quality work done the next day ):h

Use good water. It really makes a difference.

Get a good label maker and software. A bottle of homebrew with a nice looking label makes an excellent gift when visiting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Always wanted to try mead.....were can you get a deccent pre packaged? I definatly aint got the patcince for a year.......but that wedding toast thing.....thats really cool :cool:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
there are some commercial Mead's out but they are rare , usually weak in ABV (alcohol by volume) but Phill ,If you come to Erics I can set ya up. mine is a Ginger Mead, 20% abv smooth.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I have not brewed a batch on a couple years, but at one time I had a basement full of the stuff. Simple recipies worked the best for me. I had a good recipie for stout, lager and a nice pilsner.
Intersted in a brew session this spring/summer? I need a spark to get my gear dusted off. Your place or mine. :cool:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Intersted in a brew session this spring/summer? I need a spark to get my gear dusted off. Your place or mine. :cool:
I'm thinking the same thing. THere used to be a good brew supply store on the west side a couple of years ago. Serious supplies, including grain if you wanted to really get into it. I don't recall the name of the place. I'll look and see if it's still there.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Mi is not that far from Ohio , Super tuscan dont know where your from , but Im in for some brewing !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
20%.....I thought some of the 8% beers I had knocked my dingy in the dirt :eek:

I better kill this thread.....you yahoos are going to get me wanting to pick up another $$$ drain of a hobby :lol:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
yup, it is another addicting hobby , more time than $ you can make good beer fairly cheap !!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. THere used to be a good brew supply store on the west side a couple of years ago. Serious supplies, including grain if you wanted to really get into it. I don't recall the name of the place. I'll look and see if it's still there.
Rosie's over in Lakewood has most of what you need. However, they don't have a decent grinder, so if you want to do all grain you are on your own or they will let you hand crank your stuff thru their grinder. I mostly used the "Winemakers Shop" on Broadway in Bedford. He had a nice electric grinder and would do it for you for free. I would usually call ahead and ask for 20 Lbs of this and 5 lbs of this and that and the owner Pat would have it ready for me when I got there. Drove past there recently and the whole building that housed the shop is gone. There is also Buckey Brewing on Miles near Richmond. They are a brew your own joint that also make and sell their own brews and supplies.

Best bet in/around Cleveland these days might be Leena's in Macedonia. They specialize in all kinds of "DIY" stuff - beer, wine, cheese, honey. Actually a pretty neat store and they have made quite a nice www business for themselves over the last few years.

CAP - my old brewing buddy from Cleveland now lives in East Grand Rapids. Last we talked he was up to 20 gal. batches, all-grain and with stainless conical fermenters. If you want I can get you in touch....

Phil, hands off this thread. You know you want to become a brewer; throw a 5 gal. keg of homebrew in the back of the plow truck and bomb around with visions of the old-time moonshiners in your head....:joke: (You know you need to PM Fingers and go out for a non-homebrew as he is in your area for a few more weeks.....)

Diesel suds, beer suds, it's all good!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
MiniSub,

We go to the Winking Lizard a lot which is right next door to Buckeye. Never been inside the place, but I see a lot of parties there.

I'll have to check out the places you list.

I also got my water from a spring located near Holden arboretum when I was way into it.

I wonder if I can find my old recipies. I think I still have my old equipment around here somewhere...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts