Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just vented mine to atmosphere both 6.5s and the dmax...
OK, from what I understand now the hose is just a vent and does not require any significant vacuum for the CDR to operate properly. Running a hose into the intake is just a convenient place to dump the crankcase vapors.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Jaime, this is not on my truck. My CDR is working fine right now, even though it is vented to the atmospere at the moment. :)

I got this for my '85 Mercedes 300SD (diesel) to take the place of the factory one which is contained in the air cleaner. I ended up fixing that so this thing is sitting on my shelf at the moment. I just wanted to share a cheaper solution than the Mann Provent.

In all honesty, I think the factory CDR is the right thing for my engine. I just needs to be cleaned every so often. Like Bruce said, most of the problems with oily turbo inlets is due to older engines with more blowby.

This can be an issue on the Mercedes OM617 engine as if you get enough oil in the turbo inlet you can get a runaway engine situation, but still, it takes a good amount of blowby to get to that point and you would probably have drivability issues long before that happened anyway.

·
Registered
271 Posts
pressure in parallel into the same chamber doesnt split into lower, so then youd still have as much vacuum at each port. So I dont think that would help with oil consumption. It may be good for balance if you have one on each valve cover and you lower vacuum somehow.
Been putting two breathers on hi hp engines for years to keep them from spitting oil. And on a tired engine that has much blowby that pushes oil out through the breather , when you add the second breather or cdr you still have the same volume of blowby but only half as much per breather so the escaping blowby doesn't push the oil out. ;)
One very easy way is to use the old 6.2 style in the oil fill tube. Another way is to run two of the passenger side valve covers ,but this requires much more work.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Been putting two breathers on hi hp engines for years to keep them from spitting oil. And on a tired engine that has much blowby that pushes oil out through the breather , when you add the second breather or cdr you still have the same volume of blowby but only half as much per breather so the escaping blowby doesn't push the oil out. ;)
One very easy way is to use the old 6.2 style in the oil fill tube. Another way is to run two of the passenger side valve covers ,but this requires much more work.
I would agree completely if it was not tubo'd or if these were just breathers. Pressure vs vacuum scenarios. Any of the ones you do turbo'd venting into the intake?

I believe it would be more beneficial to get a catch can setup external to the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
OK, from what I understand now the hose is just a vent and does not require any significant vacuum for the CDR to operate properly. Running a hose into the intake is just a convenient place to dump the crankcase vapors.
Technically, its supposed to keep slight vacuum to prevent pressure on oil seals or prevent them from leaking.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Speaking of all this CDR stuff, the CDR on my Blazer never had a problem. Now recently, I noticed it is letting a LOT of oil into the intake. WTF? I don't have and abnormal amount of blowby, and it never did it before. The only change I made recently was installing the K47. Could that have done something to cause this? Or should I just get a new valve?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
If youve never changed it, the diaphragm may be leaking and not able to restrict the vacuum. Its like a 50 to 100,000 mile replacement item, or even just 10 years is a good length of time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If youve never changed it, the diaphragm may be leaking and not able to restrict the vacuum. Its like a 50 to 100,000 mile replacement item, or even just 10 years is a good length of time.
Crap. I've got 190K and it's original. Guess I should change it :p:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would agree completely if it was not tubo'd or if these were just breathers. Pressure vs vacuum scenarios. Any of the ones you do turbo'd venting into the intake?

I believe it would be more beneficial to get a catch can setup external to the valve cover.
If your air filter flows enuff it makes absolutely no difference whether you put it into the intake tract or just vent it to atmosphere. If your air filter is slightly restrictive then it will tend to suck oil along with the vapors. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Any filter is slightly restrictive. Even pipe alone can create restiction depending on volume flow.

And yes it sucks oil with the vapor, hence the whole issue to begin with. And why a catch can with mesh to catch the oil could be effective.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Just a wild thought...the 2011+ LML duramax has a CDR. Obviously its designed for more boost/airflow than the stock 6.5 CDR. I wonder if it would be advantageous to put an LML CDR on a 6.5?

They are only $20 too...

ben

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Just a wild thought...the 2011+ LML duramax has a CDR. Obviously its designed for more boost/airflow than the stock 6.5 CDR. I wonder if it would be advantageous to put an LML CDR on a 6.5?

They are only $20 too...

ben
interesting... do you happen to know how they are set-up inside? just thinking because its newer, maybe it seals better under boost, the 6.5l CDR is not great, and with 20-25 psi it is the same as just dumping oil in the intake with a funnel...LOL... i will check around, and if it looks promising we will try one... thanks ben...:)

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
I thought the same thing J&J, I've noticed more then the usual amount of oil in the intake from the CDR. Might be a good idea Ben.

May have to go pick one up and give it a shot.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I have a provent on my 98, and a from the CDR to the road vent hose on the wife's 95
The 95 has tons of blowby but now uses only 2-3 ltr oil between changes after i vented to the road,been like that for over 100 k now,abolutely no issues with oil leaks from the crankseals or gaskets,...Prior to that it used a ltr oil every 250 km.

The provent does a good job keeping the intake clean but the engine has only 40 k on it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Has anyone noticed this happening after installing a K47 airbox? Mine never had oil in the intake, then a month or so after installing the K47 I noticed oil in the intake and around the turbo's compressor wheel. I replaced the CDR last week, still the same problem. Truck runs strong, I do hit 12psi boost (BD chipped) but it's been like that since I got it 6 or 7 months ago, and the oil thing just started happening about a month or so ago. I'm thinking the K47 might have something to do with it...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I like the dual CDR idea, but will need to look for another pass.side valve cover to cut up....

I will probably find a reason to pull the whole engine soon though :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
So my truck.has oil leaking around the intake side of the turbo. Would it be worth it and how much is a cdr to replace it now? No clue on if its ever been replaced

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Has anyone bought an LML duramax CDR yet? Its an AC Delco part, so even Amazon should have it...and like I said its only about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Has anyone bought an LML duramax CDR yet? Its an AC Delco part, so even Amazon should have it...and like I said its only about 20 bucks.
i wanna see someone do this too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just thought i would pass this along for whatever it's worth. We have our centermount turbo setup with 2 cdr's and run 28 psi with 4 inch intake and open air filter setup and there is no oil in the intake tract at all , only a smidgeon of oily residue. The cdr's are used and we have no clue how many miles on either one.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts