Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to leave the truck(and a few accessories) running while removing the ignition key. I have seen emergency vehicles with a switch that allows the key to be removed but I was told that the factory anti-theft does not allow for a switch like this. Any ideas??????????

·
Registered
403 Posts
If yours has a key fob, all you have to do is get out with the key fob in hand and punch the lock button. Truck doors will be locked with engine still running.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do the key fob thing too....

But, just to be on the safe side, I went to Wal-mart and had a copy of my key made. I put the copy on a separate key chain that I always have with me. Sometimes the fob stops working. I would not want that to happen with the engine running and the doors locked...

Cost about a buck for the key. It probably won't start the truck, but it does unlock the door.

Later...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I bet that key would start your truck, I made 2 and both will start mine. Much better than the problem on my dad's 2000 base model truck where it thinks it has the anti theft sometimes and won't turn on the fuel pump for 10 minutes. It's done it since new and they could never fix it. They thought it was the key at first but the key made no difference.

·
Registered
347 Posts
In all honesty, I have not tried to start the truck with the duplicate key. I thought there was a 'field effect' type of sensor in the steering column to 'sense' something in the big head on the factory key. I'll give the dupe a try some day when I have the time...

Later....

·
Registered
817 Posts
I use my remote start for this. Keys are in hand and truck stays running. I had to add a box that tricked the passive theft system, but it only runs when the alarm/remote start tells it to. All the other times, the factory defense works as normal. My wife's truck had to be perm disabled to get it to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts