Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today I go to work. Meet up with my buddy Joe at the job. When I get outta the truck, he says something was squeaking coming in the driveway on your truck. Figure I'll check it out later.
At lunch time, we hop in the HD, and leave the development. Soon as we get out on the main road it starts squeaking leaving the stop sign accelerating. Coming from the rearend of the truck. Joe says thats what I heard earlier today. We pull over, he gets out, and listens as I drive at like 3mph beside him walking. It sounds like the squeak you'd get from a indicator on disk brakes telling you their getting low. I figure, I'll check it out after work. We pull into the store for lunch and its louder, more annoying. Constant squeaking as the tires rotate. We climb under, over, around the truck like a bunch of idiots in the parking lot and don't see anything obvious.

When we leave we pull over and try to listen to it again in an empty parking lot. Actually sounds like the rear u-joint squeaking. So at the end of the day I swing by the local auto parts, grab a new u-joint, and we head to my dads shop to put it in. No big deal.
Jack the truck up rotate the driveshaft, no noise. U-joint isn't loose at all. Unbolt the straps check the u-joint caps, needle bearings, etc. They feel fine. Not rough at all. No play in them. Stick the driveshaft back in there real quick, fire the truck up on jackstands, drop it in gear, and as the driveshaft rotates this squeak starts and continues as the driveshaft spins faster. It actually sounds like the squeak is coming from INSIDE the driveshaft. While its rotating, squeaking, you bang on the drive shaft with your hand, it stops for a minute, then comes back. What the hell???

Now, I have a ext. cab/long bed HD with the 8.1/Allison. My truck has the huge ass aluminum hollow driveshaft. What the hell is inside these driveshafts?? I've heard various things before. Hollow alum. case?? Liquid internal balanced??

Anyone ever experienced this, or heard of this?? I'm also not completely ruling out the rear u-joint. What if the sound/squeak from it is traveling up the driveshaft making it sound like its internal?? Maybe I should throw the new greasable $20 u-joint in anyway? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
?????????????? I would try spraying wd-40 or equiv. on the surface areas on the u joint and yoke seal while it is turning just to rule out something stupid like debris or rust rubbing. If that does nothing......??????????? U joint?????????? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
A long shot, but have checked the rear differential fluid lately??

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
carrier bearing...the large internal area of the shaft amplifies squeaks... don't forget to check the other 2 u joints, noises travel well

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Also just because the cap feels tight doesn't mean the u-joint isn't shot. I've had them squeak and feel tight, but when you pull it off the bearings are disintegrated into dust. The dust just managed to hold the cap tight...

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have the one piece driveshaft (no carrier) and mine is hollow as could be. The first time I took it off, I pushed it up into the frame because I thought it was going to be much heavier than it was. :eek:: I replaced my u-joints before they went bad, but my buddies 02 2500HD did the same thing. Only his rear u-joint was bad, but we replaced both of them while we had it out. I'd go that route first. Isn't a bad idea to check the rear fluid and the t-case while your under there too.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I had something similar with my truck (I know it's old, but the principal is the same). I had this squealing noise coming from the back of the truck. I could have sworn it was one of the U-joints (my truck has three). I pulled them apart and all looked fine. I greased them, put it back together, and it still did it. With the truck up on jackstands, the squeal seemed to be coming from the rear u-joint. Then I put the truck in park and rotated one of the wheels by hand. Still squealed. I pulled the axle shafts and found the outer wheel bearings were all dried out and rusty. I greased them up and put it back together. Been fine ever since.

There is nothing inside the hollow aluminum driveshafts. They are, as the name indicates, hollow. The noise is coming from something else. Listen really carefully to where the noise is coming from. It could be the driveshaft yoke bearing on the axle, the wheel bearings, the carrier bearing (if you have a two-piece driveshaft, which I doubt), or the u-joints. U-joints are generally accompanied by a vibration.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Maybe your driveshaft was made in Mexico and it's full of something good.:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not ruling out the ujoints like I said earlier. I'm gonna pull the driveshaft out and replace them. I got that one piece alum. driveshaft and people are saying that I need special coated ujoint caps because the metals will react. Anyone heard of this? The new greasable ujoint I had picked up doesn't have any special coated caps. I got mine from the local auto parts. Should or would it be a dealer only item?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not ruling out the ujoints like I said earlier. I'm gonna pull the driveshaft out and replace them. I got that one piece alum. driveshaft and people are saying that I need special coated ujoint caps because the metals will react. Anyone heard of this? The new greasable ujoint I had picked up doesn't have any special coated caps. I got mine from the local auto parts. Should or would it be a dealer only item?
Would'nt Anti Sieze work for that?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There is nothing inside the hollow aluminum driveshafts. They are, as the name indicates, hollow.
The aluminum driveshaft is filled w/ grey foam. That shouldn't be enough to make noise though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
its a bad ujoint, as far as replacements, go oem and you will be fine.

Bill

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
The aluminum driveshaft is filled w/ grey foam. That shouldn't be enough to make noise though.
Interesting. I didn't know about that. All of the aluminum driveshafts I have seen cracked open were completely hollow.

As far as u-joints for aluminum driveshafts, seems to me that the steel u-joint caps could set up a reaction with the aluminum driveshaft, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it. If it's gonna corrode, it's gonna corrode. No reason to spend extra cash on nickel (?) plated u-joints that will last no longer. The plating might slow the external corrosion and maybe make the u-joints easier to remove, but it won't make the u-joints last any longer.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
at least the driveshaft on a suburban is filled w/ foam. I will get the pics of the one I saw explode at the dyno. It is a dp member.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the guys over on another site were talking about a alum. driveshaft exploding on a dyno. He said it was filled with green foam.

I'm gonna toss the ujoint in there. Hopefully it'll fix it, if not, process of elimination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts