Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today I go to work. Meet up with my buddy Joe at the job. When I get outta the truck, he says something was squeaking coming in the driveway on your truck. Figure I'll check it out later.
At lunch time, we hop in the HD, and leave the development. Soon as we get out on the main road it starts squeaking leaving the stop sign accelerating. Coming from the rearend of the truck. Joe says thats what I heard earlier today. We pull over, he gets out, and listens as I drive at like 3mph beside him walking. It sounds like the squeak you'd get from a indicator on disk brakes telling you their getting low. I figure, I'll check it out after work. We pull into the store for lunch and its louder, more annoying. Constant squeaking as the tires rotate. We climb under, over, around the truck like a bunch of idiots in the parking lot and don't see anything obvious.
When we leave we pull over and try to listen to it again in an empty parking lot. Actually sounds like the rear u-joint squeaking. So at the end of the day I swing by the local auto parts, grab a new u-joint, and we head to my dads shop to put it in. No big deal.
Jack the truck up rotate the driveshaft, no noise. U-joint isn't loose at all. Unbolt the straps check the u-joint caps, needle bearings, etc. They feel fine. Not rough at all. No play in them. Stick the driveshaft back in there real quick, fire the truck up on jackstands, drop it in gear, and as the driveshaft rotates this squeak starts and continues as the driveshaft spins faster. It actually sounds like the squeak is coming from INSIDE the driveshaft. While its rotating, squeaking, you bang on the drive shaft with your hand, it stops for a minute, then comes back. WTF???
Now, I have a ext. cab/long bed HD with the 8.1/Allison. My truck has the huge ass aluminum hollow driveshaft. What the hell is inside these driveshafts?? I've heard various things before. Hollow alum. case?? Liquid internal balanced??

Anyone ever experienced this, or heard of this?? I'm also not completely ruling out the rear u-joint. What if the sound/squeak from it is traveling up the driveshaft making it sound like its internal?? Maybe I should throw the new greasable $20 u-joint in anyway? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
check all the u-joints...actually experience this with my friends truck...ended up being the output shaft from the t-case rubbing on the rubber seal that had dried out.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Had to replace the u joints on the wife's Suburban for the same reason. When I took the old one's out they looked fine. It fixed the problem.

Be careful replacing them on the aluminum drive shaft though. I used a hydralic press with no problems. A friend tried to do it the old fasion way like on the steel drive shafts and he ended up buying a new drive shaft. The aluminum one's bend fairly easy from what I was told.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I popped the new ujoint in there. Fixed the little "mouse" squealing inside my driveshaft..lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts