Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you can change the bedsides on a dually if the fenders get smashed or somebody runs into them and they get damaged.

There is a guy in here that changed his DRW into an SRW by changing the whole bed (one from a 2500HD).

Instead of doing that, can you just buy SRW bedsides and change those? That way, if you decide that you want a dually again later then you have the dually bedsides in your shed.

I also figure that would be simpler and easer (b/c you wont have to find a bed), and maybe even easier on the wallet. How much are new bedsides anyway-maybe 500 bucks a side?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not positive but I think the boxes are different. On a dually the side is bolted on, and on a fleetside it is spot welded on.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If you go to shops that sell utility beds, sometimes you can pick up an entire bed for $500 ~ $800. If you're lucky, you can find the same color! The dealer is sometimes a source for removed beds also.

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
I know that you can change the bedsides on a dually if the fenders get smashed or somebody runs into them and they get damaged.

There is a guy in here that changed his DRW into an SRW by changing the whole bed (one from a 2500HD).

Instead of doing that, can you just buy SRW bedsides and change those? That way, if you decide that you want a dually again later then you have the dually bedsides in your shed.

I also figure that would be simpler and easer (b/c you wont have to find a bed), and maybe even easier on the wallet. How much are new bedsides anyway-maybe 500 bucks a side?
To have 1 bedside replaced by a dealer will cost almost $2,000, so 2 would be $4000. A take off bed costs $800 to $1200 - depending on where you live, and can be put on using hand tools and a few friends in less than an hour (counting removing the old bed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right. Someone told me today the dually bed is fiberglass and is bolted on and the srw bed is spot welded too.

And as for paying 4000 for bedsides, screw that. You could do that yourself anyway.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yah its tough around here to find a take off dually bed or sides. Both sides of mine have been hit in parking lots and the driver side has a one foot hole in it now. It just looks so sad.

·
Registered
389 Posts
no you cant put the bed sides off a srw bed on a drw they are different way different

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Yah its tough around here to find a take off dually bed or sides. Both sides of mine have been hit in parking lots and the driver side has a one foot hole in it now. It just looks so sad.
Check with people who do work truck conversions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check Ebay. I got the bed for my truck on there for $400. Excellent condition, correct color!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a take off bed for my 96 for 500.00 from the local rawson dealer. it did not even have a scrath on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts