Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
they look exactly like 'em. green keys are cheaper and reported to work well for most. I bought mine from Hill 4wd,
for over $100. suggestion based on only my opinion, dump the stock shocks at the same time and do not go over 2" inches. Bilsteins seem popular as well as the ranchos rs9000x ( I went with rancho, do not regret it.) the stock height shocks work fine, no need for longer ones.

good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few more questions

What are the advantages with changing these out?

I know some people here are running 305/75 and 315/75 tires with just this, are there any problems once the truck starts articullating with the tires rubbing?

Does anyone have the Bilstein shock part #'s?

Thanks for the help, I really don't feel like chunking down around $2000 for a lift right know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought the GM green keys for $40 at my local dealer. Hopefully I'll be able to get them on this weekend.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
advantages of the swap:

greater range of adjustment, no potential to crack key when max adjust with stock keys. I do not have the tires yet so I cannot comment on the rubbing under articulation

·
Registered
429 Posts
Trader Jack,

Sorry if I'm butting in here, but need to post some time.

The # for the GREEN
keys is 15592573, $36 shipped from GM Parts Direct.

Josh

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I just drove through some rough stuff since putting in green keys and H2 w&t's. Didn't do any worse than stock. I had a scare putting them in. Went to put the second one in and it had the same cating number as the original. It was tagged with the right part number. Had to double check against the old one to make sure it was cut right.

Still contemplating different shocks but my spacers up front are working so far. Didn't seem to bother the dealer. My upper ball joint boot blew and they ordered a replacement control arm. Edited by: Jeli

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks GMCSLEHD --

I'll check this out. I've wanted to level the truck out ever since I got it. I can probably give the present bars another twist or two, but that will max them out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Trader Jack,

Glad to help. I see you have DTA running boards (I do too). Are you aware they're out of business (as of the last time I checked). So much for the warranty.

Josh

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah . . . In fact they went out about a year after I put them on. I guess the owner had bad health problems forcing him to close shop. I've had no problems with my boards to date. The only thing I suspect could happen in the future is the black tape treads could start to come off. I've been looking for that type of pressure sensitive tape to replace as needed.

If anyone knows of a source for this tape pleae let me know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just curious, what are these "green keys", and where do they go?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
They are used to replace the stock keys that are located at the rear end of each IFS torsion bar. They are used to change the indexing to permit the lifting of the front without using up all the threads of the TB adjuster. You might say it's just another way to apply more torque to raise the front. FWIW they are unnecessary IMO, you can just crank the stock keys. The major concern I've seen expressed is that you don't exceed 2" of lift with TB adjustment, green keys, etc. because cv joints may not hold up well at the increased angle and the upper control arm may be at the end of it's upper limit not leaving much room for travel. Here's what keys look like, I can't be sure these are the actual green keys but they look just like these, the only difference would be where the hex is positioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts