Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 3500chevy has a 3.57 gear ratio and is a 14 bolt. My question is where is the gear break between carriers. I want/need to go with lower gears but not sure if 4:10 gears will work on a 3:57 carrier. I know 4:56 and 4:88 gears wont work on a 4:10 carrier and 3:73 gears will work on a 4:10 carrier and visa versa, but need to know if the 4:10 gears will work on the 3:57 carrier. The truck is 4x4 so I need to know if the 4:10 will work on the front end carrier as well. And why in Heck did GM put such high gears in a ton truck anyways.

Might as well put all my questions in this post as well. I have went thru 4 clutches in about 6 years in this truck. the dual mass flywheel was changed out to a 454 flywheel before I got the truck. I need to upgrade clutches. A friend suggested a Centerforce clutch and pressure plate. Any opinions on this.

Also, I have read that if the dual mass flywheel is changed that one should install a transmission dampener. Never heard of such a thing, so need to know yes or no, and where it goes, why its needed, and how to mount it.

And an update on my thread about the turbo problems. Problems seemed to be solved, removed cat and hooked up exhaust, should have pushed it out of the garage before cranking tho. When it fired up it sooted the garage with all the soot that was in the muffler. Even the walls are black.
Leak from motor was a lose fuel filter. I Must of went to sleep when changing it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Do you mean 3.42 ratio, I'm wondering the same info on the carriers, but I want to go from 4.10's to 3.42's on my 93 dually. You should be ok though on carriers, if someone makes a thicker ring gear for the lower number carrier.

I'll trade you rears, but I dont have a front for you.

·
Registered
454 Posts
4.10 is the carrier break on it. you have to get a new carrier if you have 4.10 and want to run 4.56, unless you buy thick gears. your 4.10s will work just fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Midnite, I would be interested in the trade, but you probably wouldnt want mine, it roars so probably not worth much.

I do have a 4:56 with limited slip I am considering putting in this truck, but not sure I really want to go that low. 4:10 are a dime a dozen in my area, I threw a ring gear and pinion away a few months back. I will keep my eyes peeled and see if one pops up and let you know. I will probably buy new gears for my own truck as long as i dont have to change the carrier.

Edit; whoops, you are wanting a 3:42, my mistake but I will still look and see whats available

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a centerforce in mine. I really like it. I changed it out last Feb when my trans crapped out. The only thing I don't like is it seems to not have a lot of clamping pressure at low rpms. But it has only slipped once. I was pulling a disabled Cat 15 yard scraper in 4x4 low, wheels got a good bite and wouldn't spin. Other than that, I really have no gripes about the clutch. It shifts great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks CF, I had considered the double and tripple disk designs but wasnt sure if they are even available for my truck. The Centerforce looks to be a pretty good compromise, better than stock, but maybe not quite what the multiclutchs are.
I have also decided to install my 4:56 limited slip rears in this truck. There isnt a carrier break in the 9.25 front ends so that means all I would have to buy is just one ring and pinion. Fuel mileage isnt an issue with this truck, its either loaded or its parked. Might as well go for the towing power, and the lower gears will probably be easier on the clutch.

So far i have spent about $400 fixing this truck. the clutch+labor will probably be around $900 and the front Ring and pinion around $400. Durn sight cheaper than a new truck.

For those considering lower gears, they make a 4.56, 4.88 and 5.13 ring and pinion that will work with the higher ratio carriers. The ring gear is thicker. They cost about $20 bucks more than a regular ring gear set, but thats certainly cheaper than buying a new carrier.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What I did was to buy and install a Gear Vender two speed unit on my 1994 one ton, Then when I wanted to tow I would switch the unit into low and leave the truck in overdrive. I had the best of both worlds. I pulled the unit off of the truck before I traded in many years ago. Now to think about it the thing is still on the shelf. Anyone wants it I will let it go for $550.00
Rich.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Rich H.;1566500; said:
What I did was to buy and install a Gear Vender two speed unit on my 1994 one ton, Then when I wanted to tow I would switch the unit into low and leave the truck in overdrive. I had the best of both worlds. I pulled the unit off of the truck before I traded in many years ago. Now to think about it the thing is still on the shelf. Anyone wants it I will let it go for $550.00
Rich.
If you would not mind helping me do the swap(since we're close;) ), I may take you up on this. My rear is now starting to whine and would hate to lose anything if it goes. Your price is what it would cost me to have the rear re-done, so why not have the two speed set-up instead.
If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
Mark:beerchug:

·
Banned
628 Posts
Rich H.;1566500; said:
Rich.
sent you a pm on this rich,..
nick

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ok what ever it is, if you what all of the info on it here it is.
Mine is a Mod#(70-28025) (UNDER DRIVE)
and has USSB Calibrator Mod# (80-80001)
This info may help if you want to check on fitments
Now does that help?
Also I paid for it with Check# 2658
Date: 4/17/97
Precision Power Injection Inc.
And thanks for adding the web site link.
Rich.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a question about my rear end to. My limited slip sucks. The right wheel spins all the time but the left rarely spins. I know i could just buy a locker but is there anything else i can do?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rich H.;1581283; said:
Now does that help?
Rich.
Rich, do you know what would be involved in changing it to an overdrive, if it is even possible?

·
Banned
628 Posts
Rich H.;1581283; said:
Now does that help?
Rich.
gotta pic of the check?? j/k
so this was behind a turbo 400 trans? i,d need a 28025M for the 4l80e,.
nick

·
Registered
236 Posts
Two speed unit.

The web site posted by "Thefermanater" is not the same one given to me for this product information.

Mods, this link is for fitments purposes only.
This is an under drive and was told by the person I bought it from that the factory could swap it over if I need, which I did not.

Mods, this link is for fitments purposes only.

I sent out some questions to them today and had a reply back in an hour, that is good customer service.
Here is the reply I got from them today:

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your message about the Dual Range Auxiliary Transmission.
There is information about the unit and different applications on the web
site at http://www.usgear.cc/dual_range.htm. If you are wanting to install
the gearbox on something other than what it was originally built for, give
Lee a call at 1-800-874-3271, and he can help you determine which parts you
will need, if the swap would be possible.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Tom - U.S. Gear Customer Service
[email protected]

Hi,

I still have a Under drive unit built by your company in 1997. It worked
great for me in the application that it was used on. ( High gears in the
truck & use this under drive only when pulling) worked great.1994 C3500, 6.5
diesel, 480LE trans.

Part# 70-28025 two speed unit
Part# 80-80001 VSSB calibrator

Paid with check# 2658

Do you still make these units? can you still supply info or parts for them?
I may sell & install this unit in a truck as this unit has been unused since
Dec.1998.

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks

Richard Hyatte

·
Banned
628 Posts
i spoke to lee,.
the unit is an early style, the vssb lets it work with electronic speedo,. fits a 4l80e, needs $400.00 worth of gears to make it an over drive,. needs to be disassmbled change input and output gears, reverse cluster, and re-assemble,..
nick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts