Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Racor is selling a kit (maybe?) as well as LanduytG for the Duramax. They look like a great kit but I have a question regarding the Racor filter itself.

Either kit can be fitted with an R60S 2 micron filter. Sounds like the ticket. The question I have is that I have read in a couple of posts where the standard OEM/Racor filter for the Duramax is ALSO a 2 micron filter. But, many folks claim the Racor 2 micron filter that goes on the GM factory head is not doing the job.

Are these two filters really rated the same? I know they are not physically the same filter model, but should one be concerned of the quality of the R60S which has been loosely described with similar specs to the GM/OEM Racor filter? If the OEM filter is not doing a good job, why should the R60S if they are both considered 2 micron by the manufacturer?

Maybe I am not comparing apples to apples here. I know there are different ways of measuing filtration (absolute vrs. beta) - is this where the disconnect is between the two filter specs? I was going to ask this in a personal e-mail but figured others may have the same question.

Please be aware I am not putting down the Racor kit at all - it is probably the one I will buy. And LanduytG did a great job with the kit as well as the intructions
. But I am probably missing something here and just wonder if someone can fill in the blanks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The OEM filter is 10 micron.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The filters are totally different, no matter what GM says the rating is. They are built totally different, and the factory one is built by Racor according to GM specs. The filtering capabilities are much greater with the R60S. LanduytG can probably explain it much better than I can!

Justin

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
With the new Racor head, you have a choice of filters.

All of these filter go on the same head....

Parker/Racor

with filtration choices of 2, 10, or 30 micron
Note you also have a choice of filter size.

These are commercial filters, not OEM spec'd like the Dmax OEM filter.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
663 Posts
BKG-22

Filter micron specs can be misleading. For a valid comparison you need to know the test method used and the corresponding beta (efficiency) spec. (See Filter Performance & Micron Ratings)

Per the Fuel Test Results both Pre and Post OEM RACOR R60S installations will meet the ISO fuel cleanliness targets for our high pressure injection system (see OC_Dmax's Pre-OEM and Lone Eagle's Post-OEM results)

Also concerning the OEM filter specs, the following is a quote from RACOR in one of the early forum discussions on Fuel Filters.

"1. All DMAX filters are made by Racor. Period.

2. All DMAX filters have Aquabloc media rated at four (4) microns at 98% efficiency or better.

3. DMAX filters exceed Bosch's specs. (We talk to Bosch on this subject) They remove 100% of free water."

However, based on independent Fuel Test Results for the OEM filter alone, the RACOR OEM filter is not as efficient as claimed. It may perform well in a lab environment but test results from at least two fuel samples taken from in-service filters indicate other wise.

See Kennedy's and Mdrag's test results for the OEM filter ALONE and compare them to the pump fuel values (pre-filter) in the Fuel Test Results file. The numbers tell the story…

OEM Only, ISO Codes (2u/5u/15u Target ISO 15/13/10)
JK: 16/14/11
Mdrag: 19/17/10

OEM Filter Efficiency - OEM ONLY filtered output compared to unfiltered pump fuel input
JK: 44%/62%/74% (>2u/>5u/>15u)
Mdrag: 16%/44%/94% (>2u/>5u/>15u)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, this is what I was looking (and hoping) for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts