Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been lurking and doing alot of reading here and other sites. I picked up a 6.2 with the banks kit over the summer. I just got around to looking at it today. The motor will not turn over.I took out the g.p. and tried again. Is there a "right or wrong" way to do this? It isn't budging. I took off a valve cover to start pulling the heads, but ran out of time. I figure at least I should put in a new oil pump. I understand that timing gears and a balancer are recomended. Also a truss system for the crank. Lots of info learned but I am new to diesel and request some patients. If you guys have any direction to point me in that would be great.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Did you pull all of the glow plugs or just one? Try filling out a signature so we know what year vehicle we are dealing with. Don't waste time with oil pump, they are not problem items. If engine won't turn over with glow plugs out, spray some penetrating oil into the cylinders through the glow plug holes and let it sit for a day or two then try again. Was there anything wrong with the engine when you bought it? Next step will be to drop the oil pan and inspect the bottom end for spun bearings or broken crank.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am putting the 6.2 matted to a duece transmission in a 67 kaiser 725, so there is really nothing in common with most trucks. I drove one of my buddies blazer with the 6.2 and liked its manners. I am new to diesel and can't wait to get it in. All the plugs were out and I've had atf fluid in there. The motor was out and cheap so I didn't get to hear it run. It came with the banks kit which was the reason fo rthe purchase. If I find one local that I can hear run and has a history with it, I'll use that. I just figured I'd bide my time looking into if this is a viable motor. Plus it came with all the accessories.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts