Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all i would like to apologize to big d(dale swiderski). you told me my rods were bent and i didn't fully believe you. guess what they were and as of last night badmax 1 won't be pulling this year. put it this way i have a puddle of oil sitting under my truck and i had to have it towed home. the sad part is that i had it on the low setting for once and was being good with it. basically what it boils down to was my dyno runs that i performed when i had the mods done. i overturned the truck too hard and too many times with and unexperienced operator telling me what to do. so to those of you that think you can get away without building it up think otherwise. i thought i was special and you know what i found out i'm not. you can't put a big turbo and fuelers to a 90k motor and expect it to stay together. so even if you have to wait to get rods because they might not have them in stock stop right there. wait it out it's worth it. take care guys. Chad
ps i do appreciate the guys that have tried helping me out to figure out a solution. i have no one to blame but myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,903 Posts
Damn that sucks man, sorry to hear it. I think I'll be there with ya if I don't find the money for some rods!
Good luck on gettin it back up and running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Wow! Bummer I guess you bent your rods - how did it happen??? What tune were you using???

What's the plan now?? Short block" ebay motor??? or are you going to go the McRat route and go right to an LBZ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RedSoxFan;1595651; said:
Wow! Bummer I guess you bent your rods - how did it happen??? What tune were you using???

What's the plan now?? Short block" ebay motor??? or are you going to go the McRat route and go right to an LBZ???
i was using my low tune but my truck had been running like azz ever since i did my dyno runs back in dec. i think it was. right now i don't know what the plan is. i want to keep it an lb7, but i don't know what my best bet is. whether i want to get a whole engine and sell my a5k and fuelers to pay for the motor or if i want to let the truck sit till i get the funds to build a shortblock. i'm open to suggestions if you guys have any ideas. i'd just assume do a shortblock with different rods and pistons, but keep my stock heads. i want to do it the most efficient way for me. i don't care about winning any hp battles just want a truck i can drive. cuz right now i'm paying 470 a month for a truck that can't move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
:( Sorry about the loss. We have found the limit of the rods and everyone needs to think about this before any heavy mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It is a hard pill to swallow, but you need to upgrade the motor or turn the tune down to make these things live. I feel your pain, but Merchant is making it all better for me now! If you wanna know the specs for a build, Trippin, Merchant, Diesel Tech, and Kyle at Crank it up are the best people to talk to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck. When you say you overturned the truck do you mean over rev or just a figure of speach for too much power? WHat numbers did you put down when you hurt it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
That sucks but it was nice to hear somebody take the blame instead of pointing fingers for once. Good luck w/ the build, don't sell the goodies just yet. Step away from the ledge and take a deep breath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,800 Posts
bogger;1595382; said:
you can't put a big turbo and fuelers to a 90k motor and expect it to stay together. so even if you have to wait to get rods because they might not have them in stock stop right there. wait it out it's worth it.
:exactly: Good advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you guys think i should do?? where could i get a shortblock and do i get one for a lb7 or lbz. do i get lbz pistons and crower rods?? i seriously am tempted to take the goods off get the engine back to stock form and have tony tune my truck for a stock engine. i can't keep unloading my wallet every month. the funds just don't support it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SteveFord;1595785; said:
Sorry to hear about your truck. When you say you overturned the truck do you mean over rev or just a figure of speach for too much power? WHat numbers did you put down when you hurt it?
the dyno operator had little experience and basically i was running on the dyno too long for each of my runs. my numbers were way off cuz i only put down 540hp. trust me when i say my truck has or did have way more than that. i'm over 600 easily, but now that doesn't really matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
bogger;1596107; said:
the dyno operator had little experience and basically i was running on the dyno too long for each of my runs. my numbers were way off cuz i only put down 540hp. trust me when i say my truck has or did have way more than that. i'm over 600 easily, but now that doesn't really matter.
Yeah with your mods you entered the danger zone. I would think if your not using the truck for any real competition things like pulling or every weekend drag racing that if you could get your hands on a lbz short block and detune a little(don't go above 600rwhp) you could get alot of use from one. I wouldn't go and sale your parts yet. Wait and see if you or any one here can find you something for a reasonable price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,605 Posts
Man, what a tough situation. I feel for you man.

PM me, I know a guy that had an extra LB7 here a while back. Not sure how complete or what he wanted for it but it never hurts to ask.



C-ya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Sorry to hear that Chad! PM me your number I might be able to help you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
You already know a stock bottom end won't take it, so why consider turning a stock bottom end up over 500-550rwhp and chance breaking it again? If you want big power do it right and build the bottom end. If you can't afford the bottom end there is no point having a big hair dryer and duel fuelers. Sell them and get your truck back on the road, there is always another day. It could have been worse, what if you oil the tires down, crash it and get injured or hurt someone else????? People are getting sent to prison for that kind of thing these days. I know that's an extreme example but stuff happens. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
This might the best advise you got Chad - I can't imagine being 25 with a $500/mo payment on something that doesn't run. From what I'm reading it seems that we can all have our cake and eat it if we stay around that 500rwhp/1000rwtq limit. That way we have a pretty fast and reliable truck - anything more than that and we're talking very big bucks if you do it right and more (as you've found out) if you do it wrong. Maybe its time for a reality check - time to take stock and get things back into prospective which is what RaceHemi is doing for you.:eek::

RaceHemi;1596654; said:
You already know a stock bottom end won't take it, so why consider turning a stock bottom end up over 500-550rwhp and chance breaking it again? If you want big power do it right and build the bottom end. If you can't afford the bottom end there is no point having a big hair dryer and duel fuelers. Sell them and get your truck back on the road, there is always another day. It could have been worse, what if you oil the tires down, crash it and get injured or hurt someone else????? People are getting sent to prison for that kind of thing these days. I know that's an extreme example but stuff happens. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i appreciate all the concern and pm's i've been receiving. you all are a great bunch of guys. thanks again, Chad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
so do you guys know of a place to look for short blocks?? this could possibly save me some dough. i've been looking at remans and used engines but i'm not sure what to do
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top