Diesel Place banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
If it hasn't happened to you, and from what I can see, Virginia barely gets cold (-10F), I doubt you'll have a problem. I haven't come across anyone else who has had a similar issue.

I'd rather not pop the line off to take a picture of it, as it just dumps a bunch of fluid out when the hose is off. The fitting itself looks fine, nice, smooth and round, with a formed-in lip/ridge right at the end, and a second on roughly in the middle for the hose to catch on.

I actually doubt the problem is with the fitting itself, but is more likely that there is excessive back-pressure at that location (perhaps somethings not quite right in the steering gear), exacerbated by very cold weather so the fluid is thicker, and that's enough to blow the hose off the fitting.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I hear ya. I have mine so clamped down that the hose is squished. I expect it to cut into the hose eventually. But it just likes to seep so I've lost patience and cranked the hell out of the worm gear hose clamp.

Now, when it seeps, it'll be at the o-ring like it's supposed to. :D

I need to go add a second hose clamp to maybe keep the hose from eventually cutting....

Btw, none of the spring clamps would hold enough psi (not even the OEM) so I went with the worm gear. And yep, I know that's not right. All I can think is NONE of this was an issue when the OEM lines were leaking from their factory crimps and before I added the aftermarket non-needed PS cooler. Idk...
Pics of what I'm talking about. Notice how squeezed I have the hose under the clamp pressure. And they still seep. The o-ring in the metal nipple is also probably seeping on that one pic. The other is the cooler I added.

I had constant psi clamps at first. Seeped. I upgraded to stronger constant psi clamps. Still seeped. I doubled up the constant psi clamps. Still seeped. I removed one constant psi and replaced it with a worm gear clamp. Still seeped. I replaced both constant psi clamps with worm gear. Still seeping doubled up and here we are.

I tighten them - and they'll take tightening - when the seeps gets too bad.

There is a third hose clamped fitting at the splice in for the cooler that also seeps. Brass barb with double clamps of one constant psi, one worm gear.

HeyMCcall, ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,934 Posts
First, is that power steering fluid compatible hose?
I spec fuel injection hose (I get it at napa). Lots of places carry it. Conventional fuel hose is rubber, whereas, I believe, fuel injection hose is neoprene, and is denser and smooth on outside.
And, I don't trust a conventional worm clamp on problem areas. So, I use these.
And the hose.

Attachments

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The hose that's popping off isn't an ACDelco line, but a pre-formed vehicle specific power steering line (low pressure line from the hydroboost to the steering gear). Originally it just had a spring clamp on it (oem), then I put on a worm-gear clamp, and now it has a worm gear clamp and a clamp like in your post (post #23, with a screw/bolt setup).

·
Premium Member
17,934 Posts
That doesn't mean it's made of appropriate material. Have you tried an OEM hose then?
All that I'm getting at is that the hose should be smoother outer jacketed. Certainly you've purchased aftermarket parts that were inferior to OEM before, right? Below is an OEM hose from '05 with nearly 300k miles on it.
I believe your issue is twofold...density of the hose and the extreme temperature swings that your truck sees. -20C° to operating temperature, which all the more reason to suspect the inferiority of that hose.

Attachments

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Heymccall, Thank you for addressing this issue. I was so hoping you would. Yea, mine are badged "PS return 3/8". I'll try the fuel injection line and clamps you suggest.

Do you see any benefit in trying to find 5/16 fuel injection line instead of 3/8? My aftermarket cooler docs actually says 5/16 --- Derale 13220 Frame Rail Transmission Cooler

As you can see in my pics, the hose is crushed from over-tightening of the clamps. But they leaked before I destroyed 'em. It does almost seem like the lines are breaking down. I even questioned if I accidentally used break fluid instead of PS (I didn't) because of how the lines look soft at the clamps. The clamps act like they back off with time and maybe they do. But then when the lines are all wet, they easily crush under the hose clamp re-tightening.

The formed return line (in your pic) is Gates or ACDelco (same, I believe) and it probably leaks too. Can't be sure it isn't the o-ring on that little nipple it's clamped to. I use the exact o-ring it calls for (size & material) and that always leaks too eventually, I think (could be the hose clamp). Thinking of trying a larger o-ring than OEM this time. There is some Goodyear line in the mix that doesn't leak nor need crazy tightening - the coolers top line in my earlier pic.

I'll report back how it goes and any new info. Looking at it briefly last night, I think the bulk hose brand / size / material may be the culprit and that o-ring may explain that preformed line's 'leak'.

Again, thank you so much for the advice. You're a wealth of information on these trucks!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I went and looked at the line again, and it's the PS gear output line to the oil cooler, which previously (before last summer) was the original acdelco line, and then last summer I replaced the cooler and used generic PS cooler line.

I'll give replacing it with an acdelco one a shot next time I order stuff from rockauto.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
First, is that power steering fluid compatible hose?
I spec fuel injection hose (I get it at napa). Lots of places carry it. Conventional fuel hose is rubber, whereas, I believe, fuel injection hose is neoprene, and is denser and smooth on outside.
And, I don't trust a conventional worm clamp on problem areas. So, I use these.
And the hose.
Okay, so I have an idea.... (*SKIP to short version below if details aren't your thing)

After much thought and looking over the lines I believe this is what happened:

My Derale tranny cooler that I installed for the ps says it has 11/32 barbs. Says it's for a tranny with 5/16 lines. The cooler came with about 4 feet of 11/32 Goodyear tranny cooler hose. This hose has never leaked.

The OEM and aftermarket GM and Gates ps lines and barbs (high and low psi) are all 3/8.

For quick reference on this sizing, from small to large in 1/32 increments:
* 10/32 = 5/16
* 11/32 = 11/32
* 12/32 = 3/8

Derale info on this cooler would have me install their Goodyear 11/32 hose with this cooler's 11/32 barbs and / or a vehicle's smaller 5/16 hoses with this cooler's larger 11/32 barbs. Their site says nothing about 3/8 inch hose or barbs. Reading between the lines, Derale instructs hose of the same size as the barbs or hose 1/32 smaller than whatever barbs it's going on. Not the other way around. So, that means......

I'm gonna remove and replace any leaking return hoses, switching from 3/8 hoses to Goodyear 11/32 tranny cooler hoses. All that leak are 3/8 PS hoses on 3/8 barbs and 11/32 barbs. And I'm gonna use the better bolt&nut clamps like Heymccall suggested. And, if I have larger o-rings than OEM for the nipple, I'll use that as well.

I'll splice in the return hose from the gearbox to the cooler - using a new brass barb of 11/32 or 3/8 (assuring the barb is the same size or larger than the hose). I'll replace the leaking 3/8 molded hose from the booster nipple to the reservoir with 11/32 Goodyear tranny cooler hose. I'm gonna have to make it fit since it won't be pre-formed.

All of this is assuming the 11/32 hose will go over the 3/8 fittings / barbs. Being tight and hopefully leak free from here on out.

Anybody see any issues with this plan?

*SHORT VERSION: Making sure that ALL the hoses are smaller than what they are going over OR the same size, but never larger.

Note that this came to me when I noticed some Edlemann bulk PS hose (made by Gates who also makes ACDelco) I got had a larger ID than the 3/8 it said. So I can't count on just any labeled 11/32 or even 3/8 hose to fit snug and not leak.

Ya gotta figure, it's just simple hoses and clamps. There is only so much that can be wrong. I BELIEVE it is the sizing.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Well, I just replaced all my return hoses with bulk 11/32 tranny cooler hose sold by Derale and supposedly made by Continental / Goodyear. And I used EFI Stainless steel clamps. The 3/8 clamps were too small and a pita to get on. I shoulda gone with one size up. But I got 'em all done and they are tight. The hose ID is either the exact size of their mating nipples / fittings or 1/32 too small and it showed. I sure hope this takes care of the seeping. And I replaced the o-ring on the booster return hose nipple.

The hose I used is softer and thicker than the 3/8 I took off. Barely thicker, but enough to make these clamps too small. If I didn't hate driving around town, I woulda gone and got the right size and returned these to Amazon. But something about fighting with clamps, getting ps fluid all over, drinking beer was far more appealing..... It was 72 degrees and absolutely beautiful out. I ain't complaining

Pics to follow. Gotta test for leaks and put it all back together today.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
So far no leaks :thumb: The spring clamps you see just barely attached I just left there from before and clipped them on the line so they won't rattle.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts