Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to continue to hijack someone else's thread so I am asking in a separate one.

I have a not so smart question. Would the truck run normally if the pin on the pump was in the single vs. slotted hole? I may have put it together with the pin in the hole vs. the slotted hole during my engine installation but my truck is running currently. It doesn't have any codes so I would assume it put it in the correct way but my memory on this part of the installation is sketchy.

I am wondering why the IP install procedure specifies this and what would be the impact if installed the wrong way. The truck runs different now with the reman engine but I can't put my finger on it.
I just want to rule this out so I don't have to pull the front cover off the engine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Although it's possible during assembly, hence the warning, I don't see it happening. If it did you would think the result would be obvious.

Have you checked the timing?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The garage did the timing and said it was -1.4 TDC. Since I couldn't be there for the timing I can only go by what they said.

Here are my current stats:
EGT-Normal 450-500
Boost-Spools up faster now than before which in my opinion is a good thing. Haven't given it WOT yet since I was taking it easy on the new engine.
Smokey and stumbling for 10 seconds at first start up but I assume I have a few GP's that need attention. I replaced them all with WAP fast heats during my engine reman.

Once thing that seems a bit strange is that my engine doesn't rattle much on the cold mornings even if I leave it unplugged. Other than the smoke and stumbling it starts right up. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Overall the truck doesn't seem as peppy but then again, I haven't driven it for over a month, the engine is still new and my timing is no longer a stock setting.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
New injectors? Change injectors if they are old and it will get to rattling.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reman injectors installed during the engine reman. I could have gotten bad remans I suppose.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
All I know is mine was really quiet when new.

With all of the mods I've done it's anything but quiet now.

I think the shop would have said something if the timing was way off. Since they did not do the work I can't see why they would hide a problem.

If it is off by 1 mm that's a whole lot. I'm still sure you would know without a doubt you had a problem. I don't see how it could even run at all with the assembly problem your describing. I have not tried it in the wrong hole myself. When installing my gear I saw the comment in the manual but did not see how it could happen. Seemed to be overstating the obvious, like make sure you don't smack the IP with a hammer to make it fit.

Was you installing it through the water pump plate hole or was the cover off?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A cylinder not firing would make for low power and it might be very much quieter.

Does it shake real bad?

Might crack some injector lines one at a time and see what it does.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cover was off when I installed the IP. I have no engine shaking.
The only reason the garage would be off is that I couldn't find a good diesel mechanic so I took it to someone who normally works on non-diesels. They have some limited diesel experience and was able to get it going but I don't have 100% faith in their ability just yet but have no reason to believe they are incorrect at this time.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would think that if it fired up at all there would be no throttle control as it would probably rev out of control and the pin would likely sheer off or something.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Dunno if you noticed it or not, but the 3-bolt pattern in the driven-gear will line up with the 3-bolthole pattern in the IP shaft flange only if the pin is in the slot

Align the crank sprocket dot at 12 o'clock to the cam sprocket dot at 6 o'clock, install the IP drive-gear on the cam, rotate the crank 360deg so the cam rotates 180deg, install the driven-gear dot at 6 o'clock with the drive-gear dot at 12 o'clock and you're good to go.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gmctd;1578535; said:
Dunno if you noticed it or not, but the 3-bolt pattern will line up only if the pin is in the slot
So you are saying it's impossible to assemble this way? That would give me great relief at this point. Honestly there were so many parts/pieces that I put together and it was a long day soo I can't remember how the IP lined up other than it went together without a fight and I installed it as vertically as possible.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
It is impossible to assemble it wrong - it is possible to time it wrong, but you would notice by an acquired ability to not start or run well.

Just run it for a while, let the parts wear-in, check your timing for -1.5deg TDCO.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Irelandd, check with Superior Diesel about your timing. They are over in Scotts Addition near the Diamond, if I recall correctly on West Moore St. If they can't do the timing they can probably recommend someone who can do a good job on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts