Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would pass on my observations on the Nicktane install. Lets get real here Nick, can you really unhook the tank quick disconnect without dropping the tank! What are you double jointed or some kind of contortionist? I’m sure as many as you have done it gets much easier.
But I had to drop the tank almost to the ground to reach the fuel tank line. Definitely buy the Lisle tool. I got one at Car Quest for $9. A friend and I cut a piece of plywood to fit right between the tank straps and used a floor jack to lower the tank. The dealer gave me a full tank of fuel so we siphoned out 20 gal to lighten the load.
The kit was first rate. The only thing I think should be added is more fuel line wrap. I used the whole piece supplied just on the line from the tank to the filter inlet. Had to scrounge the bone yard to find something else to protect the other line. I used a piece of half inch tygon tubing. It slid right over the fuel line and is very thick. I think it will do a good job of protecting the fuel line.
Other things I learned is that in the area around the fuel cooler there are many sharp parts that cut knuckles with great ease and that diesel in open cuts really burns.
Anybody with decent mechanical skills can do this job. It took my friend and I about 4 hours to complete the job.
Thanks Nick for putting together such a well thought out kit.
Edit: I was also one of the lucky ones, I filled the filter totally full and she started right up! No priming.
Edited by: Roscoe

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
glad you liked it.. i actually only intended the wrap to cover certain wear spots, but ironically enough i started including more a week or so ago :)

NIck

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Roscoe,

I jacked my truck rear up about 18" and had enough room to work without dropping anything.

I do have a Banks exhaust..........

T
NY

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DP

I wasn't sure what the fuel line might rub up agaisnt so I felt better to just wrap the whole line.

GMC-2002-Dmax

Oh great another contortionist. I had my neighbors floor jack on the hitch and raised the truck up about a foot or so just for more room under the truck. Stock exhaust though, for now. We just could not see any other way other than to drop the tank. Will I ever have any money after finding this site and all the great suggestions people here give. I think not.
Donations accepted on my paypal account for more goodies to put on my very new baby.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I installed mine installed 2 weeks ago. Took only 2 hours to install. Truck seems to run smoother too. Great Kit!!!! Thanks for shipping UPS. I just can't get enoungh of the Hottie UPS Chick here.

Thanks Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts