316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was at the dealer checking on the status of my
truck. It has not yet been built. I had a few minutes to
look around and took a look at the fuel tank on a Chevy
3500 HD Cab + Chassis. It looked very similar to the tank
on the 2500 HD long bed pickup, but bigger. A check of the
GMC web site confirms that the tank is bigger -- it is 50
gallons, where as the stock tank is 34 gallons.

Thus the question is will the 3500 HD tank fit in a 2500 HD?
Does anybody know?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My k 3500 chassis has 2 tanks the rear tank fills the front tank as it goes empty. the fuel gage read averave of both tanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the 2500HD does not have a location for a second rear tank, I am not so interested in a 2-tank setup. The 3500HD cab+chassis is different than the 3500 dually pickup. The pickup does not have a single 50 gallon tank.

My quick visual check comparing the two trucks side-by-side shows the 3500HD tank is just taller than the 2500HD tank. Next time I go to the dealer I will try to bring a tape measure.

Like the "green keys" swap, this might be a simple switch within the same truck family.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If it a 3500 HD they have bigger frames look at the front grill there is a panel between the cab and the front bumper Edited by: Turfmower

·
Registered
220 Posts
Frank_EP said:
My quick visual check comparing the two trucks side-by-side shows the 3500HD tank is just taller than the 2500HD tank. Next time I go to the dealer I will try to bring a tape measure. Like the "green keys" swap, this might be a simple switch within the same truck family.
Please let us know. I would be interested
as well if it is not priced at $1000 like the SuperTank.

Thanks,

T.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Turfmower said:
the rear tank is where the spare tire goes. Chassis cabs dont come with spare tires.

I would almost be willing to jetison the spare to get more fuel in the truck. After installing the H2 315's that little 245 donut is not good for much more than an emergency!

Anyone know how much the big rear tank costs? Plumbing problems?

Naturally if the big single tank can be shoe-horned into my short-bed 2500, I would definitely be interested!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dave Ski said:
Turfmower said:
the rear tank is where the spare tire goes. Chassis cabs dont come with spare tires.

I would almost be willing to jetison the spare to get more fuel in the truck. After installing the H2 315's that little 245 donut is not good for much more than an emergency! ...

We've got some engineers on the 4M. How bout one of them designing a swing-away spare tire mount for the back so a tank could be put up there? That would keep the spare out of the bed and would allow you to carry the correct sized spare. All that AND extra fuel!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On occasion I have thought about making a swing-away rear tire carrier that mounts to a Reese Dual Port setup. You could still have a trailer hitch, still open the tailgate, and have a rear-mount spare. With a bit of thought you could probably use the OEM crank-up assembly to mount the spare.

Typically I go to the dealer on Wednesdays, so I will not have measurments until then.

Since there is at least one GM Tech in the group, perhaps he can measure the tanks. IMHO there is no chance the 3500HD tank will fit in a short bed 2500HD. Long bed 2500HD is an open question.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
took picture of 2nd tank on chassis cab. the fram just look big because sub frame for the dump body.It is space between Rear and cross member by the rear spring mount.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts