Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been six years or so since I completely tore down the front end. Went to change a hub this last weekend and saw the steering was shot as well.
This time, I'm getting rid of the Bullet Proof lift kit and will be installing a 10-12" Cognito. As usual, I would love to do an SAS, but I pieced and parted this kit together which saved me a lot of cash. Since i'm going from an A-Arm drop style lift to a spindle lift, it's quite a different set up. Took some time to find parts and bolts (some I'm still searching for) so I figured I would do a write up on it. Work is slow anyway so it gives me something to do.
To start:
Lift: Ordered the front kit last week. 3 boxes total. 2 boxes from one vendor have shipped. The 3rd box from another vendor is still pending. This is everything I'll need. I went this route since I didn't need brake lines and all the extra stuff I already have. Will leave it the black powder coat color, clean and simple this time. I can't believe how cheap this stuff was, just from searching around. Pretty excited to get back to a spindle lift.
Steering: Ordered the full Kryptonite kit from the Dmax Store, stainless center-link and all. Also ordered their upper control arms. I don't want the dual shock set up anymore. I currently have a RedHead steering box that's leaking out of the output shaft where the pitman arm goes. I got a rebuilt kit and will tackle that as well. Also have a new AC Delco hydroboost since mine is leaking. I got the 2011 style cheap from Rock Auto a few months back. Power steering pump and all hoses are still in good shape from the last rebuild.

Misc: Waiting on jounce bumpers, and new front shock mounts that go on the lower control arms. Still searching for the bolts for the shock mounts, and the bolts to mount the shock to the mount itself.
Still deciding on shocks, but will probably go basic with some Fox smooth bodies in the stock location. I had dual Kings up front previously and they were super stiff. Will also see if I have room for a steering damper

I currently have the whole passenger side removed, along with the torsion bars and torsion bar cross member. Will tackle the driver side this evening.
I'll start posting up pictures and part numbers of stuff soon.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the lower ball joints out while still on the truck. Used a 36mm socket and a hammer. Soaked them last night with PB blaster and they came out pretty easily.

Everything is off now. Will drop the unicage and differential tomorrow.
Only bolts I cannot locate online are for the idler bracket. Anyone have any idea what side they are?

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally found the bolts for the Idler Bracket:
Bolt - 25643735
Washer - 15712787
Nut - 11516074
Of course these are pricey on any of the GM part sites. Ordered them from Bolt Depot. These are flange bolts, only 6 bucks for everything. They are M14-2 x90mm
The shocks bolts are showing to be the same size, however I'm waiting for the mounts to come in to get the exact length.
One of the vendors is held up on shipping my third box, which naturally contains all the mounting hardware for the lift. May have to go through someone else.
Still undecided about shocks and a steering damper.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the uni-cage and differential out. Will be pulling the steering box next to repair the leak on the output shaft.

Attachments

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Repaired the steering box output shaft.
This is how the seals came out of the RedHead unit. The seal with the screw is the last seal out.

I also replaced the hydroboost with the 2011 unit. This was a huge PITA. Should be leak free now.
A lot of parts should show up Sunday and Monday. Going to clean and paint the frame where new parts will go. I wish I would've power washed before tearing all this down.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well, only one box of 2 showed up. Shipped from same vendor. Will have to wait till tomorrow to contact them and see what the deal is as it shows both of them have been delivered but FedEx only shipped one.
This box was the spindles, sway bar end links, and some bolts. As a bonus, there was full PISK kit in there and I didn't even order it.

These showed up too. Massive lower shock mounts. I might just run the Kings I had and get an adapter to mount to the top if they are the correct length.

Attachments

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steering parts showed up from the Dmax store. The packaging is really nice. Upper control arms also came in. Waiting for the 2 bolts I ordered to install idler support bracket. Today I got the steering box and pitman arm put back in. Painted the frame and prepped the lower control arms.
The other 2 boxes of the lift should be here sometime later in the week. Hoping to have it all done by Friday.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Box101010 showed up. Was the cage pieces, torsion bar drop down brackets, strut tube braces, and some hardware.
Bolts for idler bracket also showed up so I installed the full kryptonite system with cognito pisk kit. Fired up truck and it was smooth with no binding, and no leaks.

Was able to install the rear different crossmember. Can't go any further until I get Box101012 on Monday - it has all the rest of the differential mounting components.

Kept cleaning the frame and found another problem. The transfer case mount that goes on the crossmember is completely shot. It has actually shifted over a couple inches.

Since I have to pull this all down, went ahead and ordered the transfer case pump rub kit. Should be here this weekend so I can get all this fixed.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back at it - been a very busy few days, was only able to dedicate maybe one full day of work on the truck.
Everything is installed, will be getting an alignment later today.
Cognito kit went on with no problems as did the Kyptonite steering kit. Did full lock to lock turns while pressing the brake pedal. No leaks from the new hydroboost and repair I did to the steering box.
Had to repair the lower shock mount threads on the control arm, they were stripped out.
My biggest issue right now is ensuring I have enough suspension travel with my current shocks. Since my last kit removed the upper A-Arm drops, the shock is the only thing preventing the suspension from bottoming out. I did read on Cognito's site somewhere that the dual shock hoop performs the same purpose. I wanted the smooth body shocks to keep it simple and clean, however they only offer them in 7-9" lifts. My new lower shock mounts offer 2-4" of increased travel so I should be good to go. I did a couple of measurements at full drop and it seems to be working fine plus I'm only setting the kit at 10 - 10.5". If all else fails, I can always get the limit straps or use an adapter and use eyelet to eyelet shocks.
Compared to the Bulletproof kit, I like this set-up way more. Steering is completely solid - absolutely no movement. The front differential is now indexed whereas it wasn't before.
Will know more once I take it out for a spin following the alignment. I'll post some pictures later.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well done. Thats a lot of work. Nice parts list too.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well done. Thats a lot of work. Nice parts list too.
Thanks!
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile, been busy. Here's a long post:
Alignment went well, no issues. Truck tracks and drives just fine. Amazing how tight the steering is and how well it turns. The turning radius on this kit is much tighter than the other.
Couple issues I'm dealing with:
Shocks - I figured this would end up being a problem. After the kit settled out, it's sitting about 10.5-11". Angles are good, and the truck is level. While I was driving down the road, the front end just didn't feel right after hitting some hard bumps. Sure enough, the shock had maybe 1" of travel. Went ahead and pulled the shocks off to prevent damaged and called Cognito. If you don't use the dual shock hoop, they have a propriety shock made to fit in the stock location, which also addresses the upper A-arm bump stop missing. It's rather pricey, but I went ahead and ordered a set anyway. I was able to return the other shocks. Will also have to source some stock lower shock mounts since the ones I have are extenders. Fox didn't have this shock listed on their site btw.
ABS/Parking Brake/Service Brake System - This light has been on for a while simply because I had re-geared the rear end to 4.56. I had purchased a front differential that was re-geared and also came with an ARB air locker (I'll never use it, but the price was awesome) but was waiting to put it in when I had time to re-do all of this. Obviously the light was on from the two separate speeds. After taking it for a spin, the light is still on, even after multiple key cycles. I replaced the passenger front hub, so I checked the ABS sensor (sometimes they put a lot of spacers in between the sensor) but it checked out fine. No codes on my Edge, and can't pull any up with my OBDII reader. I had a buddy try to read it with his software, however it stopped at 2008 year, so I'll need to find someone with a Tech-II or equivalent to read what the issue is. One thing I do need to check is the ground under the drive door. It's coated with oil from the hydroboost leaking.

For now, truck is back on stands. I had placed balancing beads when I first had my tires mounted. They are horrible now below 45, which is where they start to work. Getting those taking out and getting the tires balanced.
Had to replace my passenger side CV shaft, as the boot had ripped. Truck has been sitting for a while, I'm not surprised. Replaced for free with the NAPA lifetime warranty.
This afternoon I'm going to tackle the transfer case. As I mentioned previously, it has shifted over about 2-3" to the driver side since the mount broke. I'm worried that it might have damaged the EBCM, as one of the bottom metal braces is broken - could be the cause for the MIL's being on. Anyhow, I purchased the pump rub kit from DMAX store and have a new mount. Inspected the motor mounts, they are in good shape. I can't see any cracks in the transmission tail housing, but will know more when it gets out. By the time I get this back in my transfer case brace should be in as well. Might as well get all this done while I can.
I've found this out the hard way - don't let these trucks just sit up! Radiator hose clamp came loose on the water pump outlet and had me thinking it was coming out of the weep hole.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update, got the transfer case out. No rubbing on the case and the clip was still in tact.
Had to grill dinner for the family so this was cut short! Will finish tomorrow!

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's left of the transfer case mount...

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed the pump rub kit. I got lucky! The clip was still intact, however it was definitely rubbing. Got everything cleaned up and let the case sit overnight so the silicone could set up. Replaced the output seal since it was brittle as well. Nothing was cracked on the transmission. My case brace doesn't come in until Tuesday which is a bummer. Still waiting on my shocks as well. Will have the case put back in shortly.
Got my tunes updated with Duramax Tuner to have it reflect the 4.56 gears.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Reactions: OkDually

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My transfer case brace finally came in. I'm also still waiting on my shocks, which now will be here Monday. So far no leaks on anything. I'll get some pictures posted up once it's done and after this hurricane gets done.

·
That's what she said....
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Transfer case brace.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 18 of 18 Posts