Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i or we be adding Cetane??? This additive stuff really brings on alot of different opinions,iam new at this and just want to do whats best.
Let it begin!!:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Power Service, great stuff and readily available at walmart. cleans, helps cold starts, and gives 3 cetane points.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Power Service, great stuff and readily available at walmart. cleans, helps cold starts, and gives 3 cetane points.
Me too... I wasn't sure about using any additive, but when some folks around here had some gelling problems in Dec. I started putting in about 4-6 oz in every other tankfull. Seems to help a bit on power and mileage. Or maybe that's just my inagination... Either way, I'm sure it won't hurt.

Mike

·
Registered
740 Posts
Me too. I was using the grey bottle but was told the white bottle has more to offer.
I've been using Power service for over 10 yr with no problem in my 6.5TD. The difference between the grey or white bottle that I know of is... Grey no anti-gel, white has anti-gel.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Power Service in the white bottle is for winter and has a anti-jel additive and gives 4 cetane boost. The silver bottle is for the summer, no anti-jel additive and gives I think 6 cetane boost. Has been so warm here in Wisconsin, I still use the silver bottle. I have used Power Service every tank since bought truck new in March of 04. Also what most ppl are saying about the fuel quality coming up, ULTRA low sulfer, I would believe a additive is almost going to be mandatory every tank.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There was mention above about increasing fuel milage? Is this true?? If so how much for a bottle of the stuff, or how much $ per tank?

Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Lowering your Cetane would cause a longer ignition delay, louder engine, and poor performance as our vehicles timing is dependent on fuel with a specific Cetane rating (40 I believe). Cetane is used to rate the fuel's ability to auto ignite, which is the opposite of the Octane rating for Gasonline engines which is a measure of the ability of the fuel to resist auto ignition. As Diesel engines are compression ignition we want the fuel to readily auto ignite when introduced into the combustion chamber, where on a gasoline engine you want the spark plug to determine when the fuel mixture ignites. The “timing” of the injection event is similar to the “timing” of the spark event in a gasoline engine.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
There was mention above about increasing fuel milage? Is this true?? If so how much for a bottle of the stuff, or how much $ per tank?

Thanks
I havent been real scientific about it and don't really know for certain, but I am seeing about a .75 to 1.25 mpg increase. I was doing some different types of driving over the holidays than my usual so I'll have to see the trend longer to get a real opinion. If it helps keep the injectors clean, that alone is worth it... 96 oz bottle (treats about 300 gal) was about $8.00 at Farm & Fleet or Wally World. 6 oz / tank = $.50. Pretty cheap eh?

·
Registered
262 Posts
:) Every other tank for my 12000 miles does good so far

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Lowering your Cetane would cause a longer ignition delay, louder engine, and poor performance as our vehicles timing is dependent on fuel with a specific Cetane rating (40 I believe). Cetane is used to rate the fuel's ability to auto ignite, which is the opposite of the Octane rating for Gasonline engines which is a measure of the ability of the fuel to resist auto ignition. As Diesel engines are compression ignition we want the fuel to readily auto ignite when introduced into the combustion chamber, where on a gasoline engine you want the spark plug to determine when the fuel mixture ignites. The “timing” of the injection event is similar to the “timing” of the spark event in a gasoline engine.
:exactly: Excellent job of explanation!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
that is right on the money more cetane the faster it is able to ignite the faster it is able to ignite the less timing the engine needs

does anyone know what the cetane rating is for #2 diesel

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Also what most ppl are saying about the fuel quality coming up, ULTRA low sulfer, I would believe a additive is almost going to be mandatory every tank.
why would you need an additive because of the lower sulfer content in the new fuel comming out i dont get it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lower sulfur, lower lubricity. More wear on moter. Add an additive that will add lubricity to fuel..;) Less wear on your motor :)

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
The chemical companies are way ahead of the game on lubricity additives for ULSD. A while back I posted a press release about what Newmarket Corp had (formerly Ethyl Corp) approved for use on ULSD. We'll be automatically getting the additive package with our fillup, but it sure doesn't hurt to put a bit more in.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Lower sulfur, lower lubricity. More wear on moter. Add an additive that will add lubricity to fuel..;) Less wear on your motor :)
so you are saying that the sulfur in the fuel right now is used for lubrication i dont think that is what sulfur does in the fuel because if it was being used like that then diesel oil would not have additive in the oil that break down the sulfer because sulfur is not a good lubricating agent it actually causes wear on the cylinder walls if it is not broken down.
so i would think it is the other way around less sulfur less wear

·
Registered
556 Posts
Current US Diesel fuel is in the 40-45 Cetane range, this varies by who produces the fuel. One of the reasons ULSD is posing a problem for lubricity is not that sulfur is a lubricating agent (which it isn't) it's that the removal process for the sulfur also impacts the lubricating properties of the fuel itself. There is a minimum standard of lubrication which is supposed to be met, this will mean that lubricity agents will need to be added to ULDS fuels. Personally I will not put my fuel injection system's health in anyone's hands but my own, that means I add lubricity additives with every fill up.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
so you are saying that the sulfur in the fuel right now is used for lubrication i dont think that is what sulfur does in the fuel because if it was being used like that then diesel oil would not have additive in the oil that break down the sulfer because sulfur is not a good lubricating agent it actually causes wear on the cylinder walls if it is not broken down.
so i would think it is the other way around less sulfur less wear
You're right, sulfur does not provide lubricity. The process that removes the sulfur also removes some compounds that provide lubricity (it's a "baby with the bathwater" kind of thing). The bottom line is that Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel will also be Ultra Low Lubricity Diesel without additives to recover the lost lubricity.

Dang! I guess I shoulda read all of Enigma's post instead of being an echo!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
so the fuel makers are going to be puting there own additives in the fuel to make up for what is no longer in the fuels

1 - 20 of 59 Posts