Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the body molding on my 2003 Chevy this weekend and I love the look, but there is still some slight residue remaining that I will need to get the 3M Stripe Remover for (mentioned in another thread). Anyway, I got to looking at what I assume is the manufacture date of the molding printed on the back. My truck was built in June of 2002. The passenger side molding had dates of April 2002 and the driver side molding had dates of August 2004. I bought the truck in July 2005. Unless I’m wrong about those markings being the production date I think my truck has had repair work done to the driver’s side. I ran a Carfax report on it before I bought it and it didn’t show anything about repair work being done on it. I guess what I need to know is if those are indeed dates on the back of the moldings and if so why didn’t the obvious repair work show up on Carfax?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't answer your question on the moldings, but I don't think Carfax catches everything. If its not reported to the insurance how will Carfax or anyone else know about it. It could have been a light hit and then been fixed without insurance or a friend fixed it. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I bought my last truck rolled and rebuilt it myself. Carfax was clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't anybody know if that is actually the production dates printed on back of the body side moldings?

·
Registered
448 Posts
carfax is pretty worthless IMHO

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
who's to say that in the production plant some of the moldings didnt get used in a "first in / first out" manner.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
who's to say that in the production plant some of the moldings didnt get used in a "first in / first out" manner.
Even so, how would molding produced in 2004 end up on a truck built in 2002?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had my drivers side molding replaced under warranty. Power sterring box was leaking, and the fluid had blown onto the drivers side. The paint on the molding reacted to the fluid. Maybe a possiblity....

·
Banned
131 Posts
could be a number of things. more likely than not, some idiot slammed their door into it in a mall parking lot and put a ding in it, and the last owner just replaced the entire stick of molding. happens all the time.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure it was only something minor if there was any damage at all. It's just easy to get a little worried when it comes to a truck this nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts