Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been posted before but you may want to check your AC Delco batteries for leakage. The positive terminal is the culprit. I am batting a thousand on my vehicles, 5 for 5.

I don't know if they got this taken care of on the 03's but the 01's and 02's are at risk for sure. I have been checking mine every few days and saw the signs on the truck yesterday afternoon. Minor damage from the acid that I cleaned up, painted and put in two Optima red tops. They really spin the engine up nice when starting.

Check early and often, I did not catch the first leaker on the Envoy and the acid had three or four days to do some big time damage.

Anyway, I hope no one else gets hit but I think that the batch of batteries GM was using at the time are all leakers.

Thanks,

BMDMAX

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
My 2001 had a leaker. Our 94 Full Size Blazer had one go stone dead. My '97 6.5TD had a leaker.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had really good luck with Delco batteries untill now. I heard that they changed the manufacturer of the batteries and that is when the problems started. Sounds like you have had the problems before then.

I am steering clear now that is for sure. It sucks to have to replace essentially two new batteries though.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
If another one goes I'm switching to gel cells like chevmiester already did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The AC-Delco battery in my '94 full size Blazer leaked acid from a terminal in 2000. Replaced it with a Les Schwab battery and it died less than a year and a half later because of a cracked terminal. It was the same terminal that leaked on the Delco.

Sometime ago I heard that the terminal bolts on many of the OEM battery cables are just a little bit too long. Snugging them down as you normally would puts stress on the terminal leading to an eventual crack. Might that still be a factor?

Sean

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always been careful about over tightening the cables on the terminals as the soft lead has a tendency to pull out anyway. I am sure that extra length on the terminal bolts would not help.

I never have had one come out or leak before but I am now running the Optimas that are guaranteed to never leak. They are a step up from the gel technology so I will see how they do.Edited by: BMDMAX

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
I just had one replaced a couple weeks ago. It leaked out of the top, ate the paint off the tray and bubbled it on the firewall. I only had to argue with the guy for an hour to get it replaced under warranty. Funny thing is that I found this out when I pull the batty out to put in my Optimas, now I still haven't put them in..

Ox

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is this a covered warranty under the 3/36?, especially if they're leaking?

I'm gonna go and check mine right now!!!

cadman_ks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CAD,
It is covered under your warranty, raise hell for them to fix any damage caused by the acid too. You have to take the truck in with the leaky battery still installed to get any help though.

I opted to warranty this myself by going with the Optimas as I can't trust a replacement Delco battery that is likely to leak again down the road. I am taking care of it and never looking back.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Honestly, Ive replaced almost 10 Delco batteries since 1995. The batteries on our 6.5s go every 2 years within a month of each other, My 6.5 has had both batteries replaced 3 times in 6 years. My fathers 6.5 replaced 2 sets since 2000 they leak, or they just go dead, or the cheesy terminal stud breaks right off, Girlfriends 2001 Saturn replaced in 1 year, leak, 95 chevy replaced in 98 for broken terminal stud. My old 92 saturn broken stud

The best yet is 1986 GMC Brigadier, Original Delco batteries made it 13 YEARS.

I finally said screw it, Im going with Optima next time, besides the pro rated warranty on GMs batterys is lame.

Its BS I cant believe GM is still making these POS batteries, this has been an issue for years, I dont know why its just coming to light now.

Surprised their isnt a class action lawsuit yet. ....I dont have the time myself

·
Banned
6,539 Posts

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
I have had many AC Delco batterys fail over the years. I am now a true believer of Optima. They crank faster, last longer, no corrosion on terminals, and look kinda cool. Don't think Motorcraft isn't having the same problem, they are. (cheap).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I too switched to RedTops ~ eventho the Delcos weren't leaking but one did show some minor seeping. Not enuff that a dealer would not accept it as failed. I don't regret the early switchover.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My driver side blew at 35,500. If another one goes, that's it..... red tops will go in...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is that why they put that foam "blankets" around the batteries?, so that you can't see them leaking when they're leaking.

cadman_ks

·
Registered
540 Posts
Funny thing.

My 1991 S10 had the Delco battery for about 6 years.

My 2001 S10 still has the Delco battery but you guys have me checking it weekly now.

Same for the 2002 DMAX, both batteries are still the Delco and they are fine.

Wonder why so many fail for other people? But you guys have definetely made me paranoid now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the Optima. I love mine !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts