Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading regarding using Anaerobic sealer on the backing plate. I believe I read that the sealer is to be used on bare metal not painted surface, is this true or can it be used on a painted surface also.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,192 Posts
Better off using a light skim of permatex ultra black on the cover where it meets the engine block.

Regarding the anaerobic sealer I feel that as long as the surfaces are clean and flat with no imperfections I don’t think it matters whether the surface is painted or not but others may prefer both surfaces be bare.I’ve heard of guys experiencing a leak with the anaerobic sealer which is why I just prefer to use the ultra black silicone.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Better off using a light skim of permatex ultra black on the cover where it meets the engine block.

Regarding the anaerobic sealer I feel that as long as the surfaces are clean and flat with no imperfections I don’t think it matters whether the surface is painted or not but others may prefer both surfaces be bare.I’ve heard of guys experiencing a leak with the anaerobic sealer which is why I just prefer to use the ultra black silicone.
Ok but I thought the SOP was to use Anaerobic sealer on the backing plate to engine block. If i understand what your saying Dieselolds is that Anaerobic sealer is not a hard point for sealer. you can use RTV Silicone.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The assembly plant uses loctite 518 on the cover to block, and that is what i use on them as well, I don't reccomend "silicone" be used anywhere, if you want to use something else use Permatex "the right stuff"

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe 518 is permatex Anaerobic gasket maker 51813. you can also use their Anaerobic High temp flange sealant 400 deg which is the same chemistry but instead of .015 gap fill it is .020. I see though that Loctite gap fill is .050 which is better than all three permatex anaerobic sealant. I think i'll return the permatex nd get the loctite 518.
Thanks sctrailrider.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,192 Posts
First off as everyone knows anaerobic sealer is meant to be used between two rigid surfaces but for me I just prefer the ultra black from permatex.Its just something I have 100% complete faith in.I have more confidence in that than any anaerobic sealer out there.I had timing covers off three different 6.2/6.5 engines of my own and always resealed them with the ultra black.Not a leak to be seen with either engine and 8yrs later it continues to be leak free on one engine I rebuilt back in 2012.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Dieselolds for the information. I'm a Ronald Reagan fan also. He was a great President.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,192 Posts
Not a problem.Anytime.I’m just stating what I find effective regarding the timing cover,etc.Its always worked me without a issue.

I was always a fan of American politics and liked Reagan as well.I especially liked the 1984 debate with Walter Mondale when Reagan spoke about youth and experience during his speech..lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts