Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 02 03s have all been the greatest trucks, My 05 is the biggest bag of [email protected]#$ it reminds me of my 98 turbo diesel except gets half the mileage. The dealers (2) have said there are no recalls for my truck (reflashes) and the mod they want to do for the cooling fan always on when pulling are mickey mouse.. SO I went to see if i could trade it, AND my 05 ls 4x4 cc leather with 5000 miles is worth 29000 trade in I paid 37000 during employee pricing is the excuse and an 06 same truck he wont sell me for under 41000. JUST HAD TO GET THIS OFF MY CHEST, AND not to instigate but i stopped by dodge to test drive an 06 cummins REALLY LIKED IT.... DO I NEED A SHRINK?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
you need to find another dealer - it took me 5 dealers to find a diesel mechanic that actually knew what I was talking about and drove a duramax himself. all the others said there were no updates, its normal, blah blah..basically didn't know.

·
Registered
594 Posts
the dodges look good and run good until you get a few miles on the tranny. then it is in the shop once every six months from now on! get an 06, and stay with the allison!:ro)

·
Registered
57 Posts
the dodges look good and run good until you get a few miles on the tranny. then it is in the shop once every six months from now on! get an 06, and stay with the allison!:ro)
you just pegged the bs meter

·
Registered
451 Posts
The dealers (2) have said there are no recalls for my truck (reflashes)
Yea, you need another dealer. There are reflash updates avalable that in my case helped throttle responce, better mileage and no more surge. Tell them you have a low RPM surge somtimes and want the latest updates for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI - Live in AZ, bought in June 05', towed the 4th, chevy bought back and gave me a 06' same price I paid for the 05' , 6 months later, yes it was uphill battle all the way, with the lawyer getting involved. I did have to pay for mileage, and some upgrades I added. If you have any questions contact me at [email protected]

·
Banned
569 Posts
you just pegged the bs meter
Hmmm, I thought it was common knowledge that the Dodge's weak point was the tranny. I have never heard a single complaint about the Cummins engine, but I've heard a lot of complaints about their trannies.

Joseph

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test drove a 2500 dodge today for a couple hours today almost did it ,but couldnt help but think id be disappointed in the long run. Still undecided though. Im trying chevy one more time tommorow for a reflash.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The Dodge tranny is every bit as reliable on a stock truck as the allison is. It is not as good at putting the power down, but they are good enough that my uncles 04 CTD will outrun my Cousins 03 D-Max. People who dog the Dodge auto's havent driven the newer one's or one thats been modded much. My tranny has been flawless so far.

Eric

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My 01 02 03s have all been the greatest trucks, My 05 is the biggest bag of [email protected]#$ it reminds me of my 98 turbo diesel except gets half the mileage. The dealers (2) have said there are no recalls for my truck (reflashes) and the mod they want to do for the cooling fan always on when pulling are mickey mouse.. SO I went to see if i could trade it, AND my 05 ls 4x4 cc leather with 5000 miles is worth 29000 trade in I paid 37000 during employee pricing is the excuse and an 06 same truck he wont sell me for under 41000. JUST HAD TO GET THIS OFF MY CHEST, AND not to instigate but i stopped by dodge to test drive an 06 cummins REALLY LIKED IT.... DO I NEED A SHRINK?
YUP:exactly:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The Dodge tranny is every bit as reliable on a stock truck as the allison is. It is not as good at putting the power down, but they are good enough that my uncles 04 CTD will outrun my Cousins 03 D-Max. People who dog the Dodge auto's havent driven the newer one's or one thats been modded much. My tranny has been flawless so far.

Eric
Good for you, I am glad you like your truck.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I cant blame you for looking elsewhere. I had problems with my last truck (ford) that was never fixed right. Because of this I will not trust a ford again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought an 04 chevy that I still have, and an 04 dodge. The chevy has 19,000 miles and the dodge has 73,000 miles. IMHO don't be afraid of the dodge mine has been trouble free. The chevy on the other hand must be your trucks older brother.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm, I thought it was common knowledge that the Dodge's weak point was the tranny. I have never heard a single complaint about the Cummins engine, but I've heard a lot of complaints about their trannies.

Joseph
90k on the ticker, lightly Bombed (~350/850), no issues yet:ro)

and then there is Lucas Racing using the 47 that is supposed to be weaker than the 48 in the newer trucks. Funny they are using the same base as what is in my truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
am i wrong here, or is everyone looking at this wrong? His biggest complaint is the fan running all the time. The updates wont do anything for that. The fan clutch needs to be looked at & he should look at some shrouding to help the airflow & keep the fan from running all the time.

spend some time in the Overheating Posts & it might help you out. But there are definitely trucks that seem to be worse than others on the mpg. i average 17 city & hwy combined, where as someone i know hasnt gotten over 15 since new. same exact truck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
No, not looking at it wrong, the dealer told him there was no reflash avalible which can help the mileage. I don't have an answer for the fan problem. That's where a competent dealer might help.

·
Registered
175 Posts

What is a few miles. 1,000,000 ???

I need to pass this on to my dad so he can get his 96 Dodge looked at. His Dodge with CTD and NV4500 tranny has 650,000 niles on it.

·
Registered
500 Posts

What is a few miles. 1,000,000 ???

I need to pass this on to my dad so he can get his 96 Dodge looked at. His Dodge with CTD and NV4500 tranny has 650,000 niles on it.
... and that, right there is the problem! He's using up the mileage for about 5 or 6 other Dodge owners! He really needs to stop driving that thing! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts