Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will warn you it might be awhile before the build starts but I want to get the ball rolling on a build thread. I'll give yall a few of my ideas. The truck is a 1980 Chevrolet C30 cab and chassis and that's significant because the rear end is 1' 1" narrower than a standard 1 ton. So the bed will have no wide fenders:clap::bounce::clap::bounce:. Currently it's rear wheel drive with a th400 tranny and 350 ci gas burner, but that wont last long first thing to change is motor and tranny. they will be replaced by a 6.2 n/a and a stick shift(not sure on which tranny) and be made into a 4X4. But not a regular 4X4, a 4X4 with late model front suspension. I also want to do dual exhaust/turbos the exhaust is already there just need the turbos and manifolds. So just wanted to get some ideas from yall out there. Will post pics later.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the pics as promised.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Will 2" exhaust with a 3" down pipe with mufflers on a dual exhaust/turbo setup create any back pressure?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard some stuff about the NV4500 and 4 speed granny gear transmissions which is better? I plan on doing a good bit of highway driving maybe some heavy pulling every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I would go with the nv4500. Looks like it should be a cool project.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell me what they came in so i know what to look for at the junk yard?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info what transfer case should i need?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a NV3500 is this comparable to the NV4500?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,742 Posts
At $350 for that nv3500 I'd give it a shot..
It is a weaker trans than the nv4500 though, so if you plan on working the c3500 than you need to find a nv4500

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is gunna be my project so it won't see all of our heavy hauling that's the 95's job. Thanks that's what I needed today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Late model 4x4 meaning an IFS?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,742 Posts
Hole shots?
LOL Have drag racing on the brain, a hole shot is when the driver in one leaves before the driver in the other lane and wins the race..

So should I go and drop a grand on a nv4500 or stick with the savings?
I'd go nv4500, if your not in a rush something might pop up on Craigslist in your area.

And what t-case?
Been a while since I did any research on the nv4500 but I think a 32 spline np205 or np208 is what you need,

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 182 Posts