Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced 2 pmd in the last 6 months now working on my 3rd....what in the hell is making them go bad...I replace them...then check engine light comes back on in 50 miles and loose all throttle response for few seconds then comes back alive and then the light stays on..then 300 miles later...dead all over again....I'm about to toss this 6.5 in the Brazos River...

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,721 Posts
Need more detail.

Where is the location of PMD?
Is it on a heatsink?
Which PMD brand are you using? Dorman can be pesky but others can be pesky also although not as bad as Dorman.
Have you done the proper diagnosis of the fuel system?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It new injection pump and everything pmd has been relocated its something just shorting them out put new one on bam..but only for so many miles....something is making them go out it's that simple.....

·
Flared bumper nostrils
752 Posts
It new injection pump and everything pmd has been relocated its something just shorting them out put new one on bam..but only for so many miles....something is making them go out it's that simple.....
Do a lift pump test...

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
A PMD can last as little as 3 minutes or as long as 30 years...
Again, it depends on your fuel system health.
If you have any air intrusions or leaks, corroded fuel lines, etc will burn up the transistors inside the PMD

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
So check to see if I have any air in the fuel line correct
Yes. Fix your fuel leaks. That's how air gets in.

Make sure your fuel cap dosent do the woosh either. When you open it does it make a woosh sound?

Common leak spots;
Fuel filter housing / ffm - all hoses, heater and water in fuel sensor
Connection to injection pump
Injector return lines @ injectors
Return rail (if you have it) that runs under the intake.

Check the lift pump fittings (tho not a common spot)
Tank fittings can but is not common either

... unless you live in the rust belt or a high corrosion area...

:thumb: hope this helps...

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
PMD relocated to where? and is it on a heat sink? Do you have the thermal pad between the PMD and heat sink? Where did you buy the extension harness?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
What trouble codes are you getting?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I learned the hard way that another PMD killer is a weak alternator. Check your voltage output with everything turned on. Watch the voltage on the dash does it fluctuate when you turn stuff on and off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts