Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be getting my 2500HD crew first week of June. This is my first expierance with a diesel. I'm replacing a 03 1500HD. I use amsoil synthetic in that. Should I use amsoil in the new duramax or not? What about changing differential fluid? I've been reading other forums and they are saying to change after 500 miles. Any suggestions for this rookie in the diesel world?

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are two equally committed sides to the synthetic vs non. Oils that are designed for the diesel engine usually have additives to combat the impurities inherent to the diesel fuel engines. If you are going to use an aftermarket oil cleaning system, ie amsoil bypass. You can theoretically extend the oil changing frequency. There are many people who have gone 40000 miles and more using synthetic and bypass systems, having their oil sent for analysis and changing when heavy metals reach a level.

I took delivery of my lly 2500hd and installed the amsoil dual bypass filter system at 1000 miles. I then put delo 400, system holds 13 quarts with bypass. At 10000 miles i will use either Amsoil Hd Diesel & Marine oil, or Mobil 1 special diesel. both are synthetic I would stick to 15w-40, unless use in cold weather.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Wisconsin so should I use amsoil series 3000 5w-30? What does anyone know about the hypertech programmer. Is their a better programmer for the duramax?

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts