Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who's using it, and what kind of experience people have had with it. I was going to start using it in all of my vehicles but I get mixed reactions from different people. Some say they love it, others say they've had BAD experiences with it! (Gasssers started smoking, motors died, etc.)

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I had a gasser smoke when I stupidly mixed syn and dino oil. I will never do that again. I think it destroyed the motor.

Im using 15-40 amsoil syn now and its great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use amsoil now and agree it's great. Cheaper than valvoline.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've used the two Amsoil products that are most common for our trucks...the 5-30 and the 15-40....I tested the 5-30 after 10K and found that it had thinned some....viscosity had dropped.....but everything else looked good..wear metals....TBN....soot control...all looked good. I have a bottle of the 15-40 out for testing now....again after 10K....we will see..........

I am running the delvac now......quite frankly only because I can run it year round and the left overs from one change can be used for the next.....I'll test that also and see how they compare.

Amsoil does make me a little nervous with the whole API rating thing....not being approved and all..... I think its a quality product never had any problems.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've ran the Amsoil 15W-40 for 30K miles with great results. Tried Mobil Delvac 1300 but it didn't even make half the factory change for severe duty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to say that I have really been on the fence on whether or not to use Amsoil in my vehicles!

Yesterday, I sent Amsoil an e-mail asking WHY some of their oils are not API approved?
Well, I got a response today that didn't sit very well! I would attach it but it is quite lengthy so I will summerize it into one word.....MONEY!! Basically they told me that it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to be API approved and being that Amsoil is SOOO great, they feel that they don't NEED to be API approved!! They said that only marginal oils need to be approved by API and therfore being that Amsoil is SOOO good, they don't need to be approved by API.

IMHO, it sounds like a crock of sh%t!!!!!

I recently put Amsoil in the front, rear, and transfer case, but after this response, and some other negative feedback from some friends that used Amsoil, I don't think I will continue using their product!

I'm going to leave the diffs and transfer case for now (only because I don't think Amsoil is a BAD product, just seems as if they try to deceive their customers!!
), but I think I'm going to try either the Mobil 1 synthetics or Castrol. I have always used Castrol in the past in all my vehicles without ever a problem. The only thing I didn't like about the Castrol is that it is hard to find certain weights sometimes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've used Amsoil products in all sorts of applications for close to 30 years, and I've never seen them make a claim that the product failed to fulfill!

My dmax has an Amsoil dual remote filter setup, 1 full flow & 1 bypass, and series 3000 5W-30 oil. It has Amsoil 75W-90 in the diff, and when the Allison is ready for a change, {only 12k now} they have a new ATF that meets Transyn specs for less money.

I have a '94 Lincoln Mark VIII {the first fomoco to use the DOHC, 32 valve engine}, and I have series 2000 0W-30 in the engine and Amsoil Universal ATF in the 4R70W trans. That fluid is the only stuff I have found to positively CURE the infamous TC lockup clutch shudder that the Fomoco trans suffer from. That trans was enough to convince me to become an Amsoil dealer! I don't push it here on DP, but if you PM me, I'll send you a catalog.

Yeah, money is the reason for Amsoil's reluctance to certify with API, that and their {API}'s clannish attitude. A large company that sells in the millions of cases can amortize those certification costs much more easily than somebody like Amsoil, especially when thay offer so many different oils to meet specific needs.

But, they do offer an iron clad guarantee that any oil they certify as approved for use where a certain specified API rating is needed is in use that any oil related problems are fully covered.

Do what you think best, I use it, believe in it, have invested in it, and sell it.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
They do make some quality stuff, but when I ran it I was buying at the dealer level, strait from them and I'm not sure I've ever dealt with anyone with worse customer service. I'll never give them another dime...

Ox

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think this could be a volatile subject given the number of Amsoil dealers that frequent this site.
I will add that I personally know a couple of people that swear by it.... but they happen to benefit financially by making such recommendation as well, if you get my drift. That in itself does not make the product any less effective. It just makes me think twice about the motivation/objectivity of the source.

Do some research on the net and you'll have to come to your own conclusion. I don't think they are bad products.

Regarding the note about the API certification. I understand they are a small company (as compared to a Chevron or ExxonMobil) but I do believe the Duramax manual specifies a CI-4/CH-4 certified oil. I personally would not gamble on a warrantee being voided if for whatever reason the dealer finds that I am using an unapproved oil. It's just not worth it to me - but to each his own. Based on thier response to your e-mail, they also sound a little arrogant.

I have probably said too much already... but you asked.Edited by: BKG-22

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I would coment but I might offend people.

Best left unsaid.........

But multilevel marketing oils sales without API ratings is not something I am interested in participating in......

I have my Flame Suit on..so go ahead

MAKE MY DAY.......

T
NY

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
My local GM dealer sells it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have no intention of flaming anyone over this! To each his own, I know what results I have had over the past 30 years, and I believe in it and doubt that I'll ever sell any to yall anyway as GL has an ad here and deserves the sales if there are any since he helps support the site.

If you are holding back because of warranty issues on this, and running big tires, boxes, juice, etc., then your thinking seems a bit fuzzy to me!

But if this is the case, and you have another vehicle that is mechanically sound, not leaking or burning oil, and is out of warranty, try amsoil in it. Give it a fair trial using the engine flush and an extra filter to help clean it out at the start.

Then in about 2k, change the filter again, installing a good filter such as Amsoil, K&N, Mobil 1, or Pure 1. Top off with more Amsoil and drive for 6 months or 10k, then change filter again and drive till you get another 6 months or 10k.

Now is the time to pull a valve cover or otherwise examine the engine internally to see what has transpired!

I did this on my first use in a '65 Mustang 6 cyl 30 years ago and the change from a valve cover full of sludge and valve gear covered in gunk to one in which all the upper end was so clean it appeared to have been removed, scrubbed in solvent, reoiled and reinstalled. That's what sold me on Amsoil!

So it's up to you to make your own choice! That's what makes this a great country, freedom of choice!

·
Registered
509 Posts
problemchild said:
I had a gasser smoke when I stupidly mixed syn and dino oil. I will never do that again. I think it destroyed the motor.

Had to have been something else. Synth and dino are fully compatible. They even sell synth and dino blends.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, like I said before, I don't think that it is BAD either, but I'm getting mixed responses on the product depending on who I talk to and what forums I research!

I know there will always be some people that have their complaints about things (just like there are Chevy people & Ford people), but I don't think I'm convinced on the engine oil yet! I put the gear lube in already and am going to leave it. I think I'm going to put the gear oil in my other trucks too, but think that I'll go with something else in the motor.

I live in NY (LI) and don't really get the extreme cold temps like some of the guys in the mid west or far north (although we did have some cold days this year!!
). I'm thinking that although I like the synthetic oils, I probably don't need it in the motor. It may be a waste of money!!
I hear real good things about the Rotella and might just stick with that. I'm not looking for extended drain intervals either (will change @ 5K). I think I'm going to stick with the Amsoil in the diffs & transfer case, transynd in the alli, and rotella, Castrol RX SuperHD, or Mobil1 in the motor!

I hope I didn't offend anyone here w/the amsoil!! I just wanted some feedback, and wanted to share my response from Amsoil regarding my question!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My Grand Cherokee has Amsoil front to back with exception of transfer case, (quadra track II). That's what my wife's mechanic put in it when I told him to shift the jeep over to synth for towing. (Chrysler requirement). The stuff seems OK, however I will run Delvac 1 engine, Mobil 1 gear lube in the diff's and Transynd in the Allsion and transfer case. I plan on 10,000K / once a year oil changes. Got 9000 miles to go before Delvac 1 goes in.

I will be putting on the Amsoil dual remote bypass filter on the truck though. Not because it's sold by Amsoil, I just like the design.

For any more than I spend for lube grease, I use Mobil 1 there too.

Amsoil just acts a little paranoid about working with manufactures instead of ignoring them.

Finally, for what it's worth, my SM said Amsoil is OK, run it where ever you want. He saw a buddie's 350 that had 130,000 miles on amsoil and it looked brand new then they tore it down. That's not like the 350 I had when I tore mine down at 129,000. So what ever is in Amsoil, it protects engines. Heck, if cow pee made chevys show no wear, I'd use it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
No offence taken here because everyone has their on ideas about what to use. Yes I have to agree the MLM things is a little shacky but I don't hardly even do that anymore unless someone approaches me about and whats to make a little money selling it. Also AMsoil is not a cure all for everything. So I say what ever floats your boat and makes you happy use it.

Greg

·
Registered
706 Posts
DavesDmax said:
Heck, if cow pee made chevys show no wear, I'd use it.

And I thought AMSOIL smelled a little funny after a change!

Funny stuff

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got 500 miles on my Amsoil 15W40 HD synthetic diesel oil change (1,500 on the truck) and I haven't experienced any problems. I did notice a funny odor for about 200 miles coming from the engine (no spills or leaks). The odor reminded me of differential oil?

Does Mobil have a heavy Duty Diesel 15W40 synthetic?

Justin

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not aware of Mobil making a 15W-40 syn oil. They do make a 5W-40 fully synthetic that is specifically for diesels. It is Mobil Delvac 1 and I have found I have to goto a Mobil distributor to get it. It IS CH-4/CI-4 certified as the Duramx manual states as a pre-req for any lubricant running in the engine.

I purchased 2 cases of it, one for me and one for my dad. I have not tried it yet but my dad is running it is his as we speak. So far, so good.

The factual information I read on the Delvac 1 (both here and elsewhere) is very positive. Some folks have stated they run it year around. Not sure if I am sold on this yet - but have high expectations for it in cold weather. My problem is that I am not driving the truck enough to justify changing the oil yet.

I think Shell Rotella makes a 15W-40 synthetic - but I could be mistaken and know very little about their synthetic oils.

·
Registered
398 Posts
BKG-22 said:
I think Shell Rotella makes a 15W-40 synthetic - but I could be mistaken and know very little about their synthetic oils.

I believe that the Shell Rotella synthetic is 5w-40.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts